Lawn repair...

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, how does everyone repair their lawn from pets spots, my lawn took a real beating this winter with the lack of snow, never seen the lawn looking this bad....I tried EZ seed last summer, worked great, however none of the spots I fixed last year came back this spring..., any tips would be nice.....Thanks

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey, how does everyone repair their lawn from pets spots, my lawn took a real beating this winter with the lack of snow, never seen the lawn looking this bad....I tried EZ seed last summer, worked great, however none of the spots I fixed last year came back this spring..., any tips would be nice.....Thanks

When we lived in Edmonton we had a neighbor that had three dogs, there lawn was near perfect, I asked about pet spots on my lawn as we had dogs......she told me that it was most likely the female dog that was the issue, seems that they have a more acidic urine....she said that she got some sort of additive that she put in her dogs food to help neutralize the acid in the urine, can't remember what it was called but I do remember she got it from a pet food store not a veterinarian . We never used it so can't say if it harmed the animals, but for the four years we lived there her lawn and dogs seemed very healthy. Hope that helps.........and oh yeah our fix was a no maintainence back yard, probably a little cheaper to fix the pee spots with some new sod.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive got four dogs grass takes a beating over the winter ..... i take the trimmer to the dead spots get rid of all the dead grass scratch the dirt up... a bit of fertilizer
(co-op 26-13-0) available at ag centres and turn the sprinklers on..... takes a couple of weeks with warm weather and voila green grass
When we lived in Edmonton we had a neighbor that had three dogs, there lawn was near perfect, I asked about pet spots on my lawn as we had dogs......she told me that it was most likely the female dog that was the issue, seems that they have a more acidic urine....she said that she got some sort of additive that she put in her dogs food to help neutralize the acid in the urine, can't remember what it was called but I do remember she got it from a pet food store not a veterinarian . We never used it so can't say if it harmed the animals, but for the four years we lived there her lawn and dogs seemed very healthy. Hope that helps.........and oh yeah our fix was a no maintainence back yard, probably a little cheaper to fix the pee spots with some new sod.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Water the heck out it and reseed, it helps there is also a neutralizer that you can get too I think the greenhoused have it or at least they used to.

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive got four dogs grass takes a beating over the winter ..... i take the trimmer to the dead spots get rid of all the dead grass scratch the dirt up... a bit of fertilizer
(co-op 26-13-0) available at ag centres and turn the sprinklers on..... takes a couple of weeks with warm weather and voila green grass

Trimmer to the dead spots hey....I like that idea, beats pulling it all up by hand, that takes forever, thanks!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STYKO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Water the heck out it and reseed, it helps there is also a neutralizer that you can get too I think the greenhoused have it or at least they used to.

Yeah I also heard mixing tomato juice with the dogs water helps, so I tried and failed, turns out the dog just likes clear clean water, damn spoiled dog!! LoL

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are products you can use to neutrilize the dead spots, its basically female dog urine is very acidic and in turn makes the soil acidic, so you need to turn the ph, have a buddy that works on a rig? Get him to get you some lime, water it in and it will turn the ph.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Either dig up the spots and turn over, then reseed, or scratch the grass with a rack quite deep and reseed...... Water the heck out of it :)

Rack you say...wonder what your wife will have to say about that...lol

*** I'm the guy swerving all over the road while texting ***

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
doesnt matter if male or female dog urine both have the same acidic qualities .. most people think that a male dog urine is less because they always pee up against something and you dont notice it as much ..... take a look at the fire hydrants in your area most have no grass around them
There are products you can use to neutrilize the dead spots, its basically female dog urine is very acidic and in turn makes the soil acidic, so you need to turn the ph, have a buddy that works on a rig? Get him to get you some lime, water it in and it will turn the ph.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go to your better greenhouses ask them for some lime to change the acidic levels in the soil .... same idea as the needles off of a pine tree as they are very acidic ever see good grass under a spruce tree
Lime what?

Top Bottom