Lawn/Garden Tractor sales and experts

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a fabricated 48" blade I used on my JD STX 38. This is a small riding lawn mower that I bought in 1990. Used the mower in summer and the blade with Tire chains ib the winter right up to 2011. Bought the biggest Husquevarna snowblower available. 2012 bought a Country Clipper and still use the JD in smaller or rough areas. If you want the blade you are welcome to it. I use my quad with a blade now.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a fabricated 48" blade I used on my JD STX 38. This is a small riding lawn mower that I bought in 1990. Used the mower in summer and the blade with Tire chains ib the winter right up to 2011. Bought the biggest Husquevarna snowblower available. 2012 bought a Country Clipper and still use the JD in smaller or rough areas. If you want the blade you are welcome to it. I use my quad with a blade now.

Very generous thanks for the offer. I will send you a message.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
plow.jpg

Last edited:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Neighbor plows with his lawn tractor, seems to work good. He has chains and tire weights mounted. Once in a while he borrows the quad or tractor to push the banks back when the little rig doesn't do the job anymore.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My neighbours fiddle with little stuff too, till they need my backhoe, I've even had to Plow to the hi-way a few times, windy winters are no fun.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're a smart guy - you know you get what you pay for. Majority of the big box store stuff is built by MTD, Deere's build by someone else as well. We went through this with my dad last year. He wanted a small tractor to move some snow and hook a tiller too to rip up mom's garden. The X300's are meh. Transmissions/transaxles are very light. If you need to fix, you may as well get into a new tractor.

We ended up finding a mid 2000's used X485. Older X5XX's are the 4wd versions. They are now called the X700 series, in the 90's were called the 425's-445's. Larger frame tractors, and heavier. TO push anything you need weight behind you and chains if you don't have 4wd. The transaxles in these are heavier than the older 316's/318's and live a lot longer. You can usually find a decent used package with the blower and everything for a 425 or 445 on Kijiji for the mid 4000 range. Once you get up above about 700 hours, it seems like engine rebuilds and major work starts to occur. We bought this one from a school board with 450 hours on it and runs like a champ.

I've had Deere 2305's and now have a 2520. The 2305 is an absolute Cadillac for cutting grass and moving snow in small areas. Has more than enough power, but gets limited by weight, both in terms of traction and loader capabilities pretty quickly. Turning radius was awesome. But...a lot more money. However, things never depreciate. 2520 is nice now, but it's definitely a tradeoff for cutting grass, but much stronger to push a 60' blower.

As I said in the first line, you get what you pay for. If the only jobs I wanted to do were push snow and cut grass, I would find a reasonably price zero turn (local dealer has 50" Toro's for like $2K right now) and a side by side for a plow. Used Rhino's or Rangers occasionally go for $4500. That way you have some weight to push snow, plus, if you ever choose to get cushy, can add some heat and a cab if needbe. We keep the tractors as we use it for a lot more than that and probably have 10-12 attachments.

Top Bottom