KTM 300 XC-W anyone ride one before??

MoToJeWeL

Reaction score
Website
www.motojewel.com
I love my 300. Best woods bike I have ever owned... I can't say enough good things about it. The power is there when I need it, it's fun to ride, light, flickable and it actually "four-strokes" over the all nasty stuff. It's almost cheating really.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Yea, The height is a problem. Being 6'4" I don't have that issue what-so-ever. However some of my riding buddies do and I can't help but laugh when they stop on off-camber and fall over. bhahaa. I giggle just thinking about it.

Fawwwwwk off Shibby. I'm 5'10" and every bike I've sat on this week has had me on my tip toes. I already know I'll bve falling over on uneven ground. Been there done that, and broke many levers to prove it. lol

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fawwwwwk off Shibby. I'm 5'10" and every bike I've sat on this week has had me on my tip toes. I already know I'll bve falling over on uneven ground. Been there done that, and broke many levers to prove it. lol

Bike protection is key.

I have a one buddy who manages quiet well being around your height, then another who is is around 5'6 or 8 or something? He likes to drop the bike.

It's all good. We just bullch!t about it after the ride perferably over a beer.

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
Still trying to make a decision myself on what to buy. Now it's narrowed down to three bikes I've lgone and looked at. Met Claude yesterday and looked at the Gas Gas. Should be making a decision today and riding this weekend. Choices are;

• 2007 Gas Gas XC250 (Used)
  • 2009 KTM250 XC-W (Used)
  • 2010 KTM 300 XC-W (New)
  • 2010 Husaberg FE390 (New)
  • 2010 Husaberg FE450 (Demo Model)

Might also go out and have a look at a Husky WR250 if I can find one in town. Not interested in any of the older KTM models as the newer ones have refined suspension and frames so the list above is what I've narrowed my choices down to. Sorry for hijacking this thread.:)

ktm 13-44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
  • 2007 Gas Gas XC250 (Used)
  • 2009 KTM250 XC-W (Used)
  • 2010 KTM 300 XC-W (New)
  • 2010 Husaberg FE390 (New)
  • 2010 Husaberg FE450 (Demo Model)

The GasGas would make you the only kid on the block with one.

The 2010 has a few things that the earlier bikes don't. 22mm clamps, a clear tank (the black tank is a b!*ch)

if you go for 2009 250 you will be saving lots of dollars, but the piece of mind that comes with the 2010 and the extra 43cc's and knowing you were the one doing a proper break-in might be worth the $$$

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You also wouldnt likely find a Husky in town. Not all that common in Alberta. I know there are dealers, but they just don't sell as much because of the KTM bandwagon, and people not knowing what Husqvarna is about, and how they have and still sometimes do dominate in Europe.

I'd love to try more of them. I've riden the 450TE and 510SM and almost bought the 610TE.

MoToJeWeL

Reaction score
Website
www.motojewel.com

I do that all the time! I am 5'9" and did not get blessed with a long inseam. I installed an aftermarket short seat which helped just enough.

Nothing worse than riding through the gnarly stuff, stopping to chat with your riding buddies, putting a foot down only to begin an ever so graceful topple over. I rolled down a hill doing that once... someone stopped short in front of me and you can figure out the rest.

The short seat... sitting on a concrete block is a lot more comfortable. I know, we are not supposed to sit but at the end of a long ride I would like to put my butt down. The seat does force me to stand up more. My other half has an extra-tall seat, the thing looks and feels like a sofa... he is 6'7":(

MoToJeWeL

Reaction score
Website
www.motojewel.com
I'm gonna order some platform boots from Gene Simmons. :cool:

I saw these at MXDN in Italy, made by AlpineStars... maybe we should order some.:d How she didn't fall and snap her neck is beyond me. I was having problems running across the track in DC's.

[media]http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r224/bigwave145/MXoN%202009%20Photo%20Report/IMG_5188.jpg[/media]

Hairball!

Reaction score
Soon injection will come out and the 2-stroke world will be turned on it's head. I can't wait![/QUOTE]

I got a fuel injected dirt bike! And it's as bad ass as you think! The only problem is that it's Italian.

It's the first brand new thing I've ever purchased and while being a high maintenance nightmare like many of my girlfriends, i love it. I got an '07 SXV with a '09 motor from a dealer in Maryland. Luckily it has street tires because that much power in the dirt would have killed me by now.

But i replied to this post because i've had a few ktm 300s. My buddy let me ride his '99 and it felt so natural i found a beat up '97. I rode it once after replacing the swing arm bearings i took it out for it's maiden voyage. I ripped it in a big grass field with some friends for about half an hour untill the the throttle stuck wide open while doing a wheelie up a slight grade, in second gear, I had to eject but as it was still pinned, the gyroscopic forces of the rear wheel spinning kept it upright after tumbling end over end. The spectacular part followed, the rear wheel dug in and launched the bike in the air, better than twelve feet! it crashed to the ground and did this two more times. by the time it stopped the bars were wrapped around the tank, the triple clamp was smashed and bent, and the sub-frame was destroyed leaving the rear fender stiking straight up.

Amazing: I loosened the bars and pulled them fwd. kicked it a couple times and rode the thing back the 3/4 mile back to my van. KTM300!

good times,
M

Top Bottom