KTM 300 XC-W anyone ride one before??

eattheweak

Reaction score
:beer: looking to do some up grading here in the future has anyone road one before?? Would like to know the good the bad and the ugly. Anything on the 250 SX-f would be nice too, might move to a 4 stroke.KTM 300 XC-W vs the 250 SX-f or any other bike. For a rider who mostly rides with his kids, how ever still catches something in the corner of my eye whick I generally bottom out my bike on lol

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 08-250XC

IMO, I hated KTM. Still do in fact. However, I must admit this bike handles like a dream. That being said I haven't rode too many new 2-strokes and jumped off a 04 RM250.

Either way, the bikes handling is it's selling feature. THe XC has firmer suspension in 08 which I love. I hate wallowy bikes and the closed chamber/nitrogen forks aren't like that. Many complain, but those who tune them a bit seem to love them.

That being said, KTM needs to fix some issues they are well aware of. It's a great basis for a bike, but with a few minor tweaks and adjustment it can be an amazing bike.

One of the biggest things I hate about a KTM is the image that goes along with them too. Too much brand hype and marketing and too many falling for it.

I know that's being a bit ironic after what I said about the bike, but IMO, the bike is not the end all, be all. Lots of good competition out there from GasGas, Husqvarna, etc. Too bad the japanese are ditching the 2-stroke and leaving KTM to play in the park.

Soon injection will come out and the 2-stroke world will be turned on it's head. I can't wait!

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 06 300 XCW & my son has on 08 with the electric start. I'll never go back to a four stroke. The bike is about 20 lbs lighter than a four stroke, is very forgiving if you're in the wrong gear & I can rebuild the thing if I have to. We both do hare scrambles & I do most of the Oldtimers motocross races on it. It does come down a bit hard on the mx track, but thats not the bikes fault ( "overachieving" rider ! ). Anyways, the race is won in the corners where the bike shines. Dealer support has been pretty good from both Riverside and Cycle Works.
Only beef that I have is if you have a long ride on gravel roads, there is a noticable zing through the foot pegs, but nothing through the handlebars. I also replaced the stock seat with a softer one from EnduroEngineering.
It's quiet, you can hook up a headlight & taillight really easy for the trail riding and there's ton of stuff you can add to it through KTM Hardparts

mikey1

Reaction score
I have an 09 300xcw and love it.learned on a wr250f and found it a slug compared to the 300.the 300 is way lighter and easier to ride.I was amazed how low you can lug this 2 stroke.I was afraid the 2 stroke would hit to hard but it doesn't.only time I wish I had the 4 stroke is on loose wet hill climbs.
The lights are easy to hook up.
I have never regretted the decision to buy this bike.I love it,can't wait for the snow to melt.

jd60

Reaction score
Looking at a 300 myself.Have a wr450,06,put over 450 hours on it,one sweet ride!Just got it rebuilt,cost over 3grand, ouch!Talked to the local ktm dealer ,claims a 300 should be rebuilt every 60 hours?Any of you 300 owners have any imput on this?The other question I have is some of the states have already outlawed 2strokes,do you think this might happen here?Any responses won,t be left behind!

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2-strokes won't be banned here. It'll be area closures WELL before certain bikes get banned.

Service intervals for 2-strokes on the trail can be lengthened a lot. Primarily depends on your machine, but generally the larger the bore, the longer it can go without a rebuild simply because you ride them easier. The 300 chugs.

That being said if you riding is wide open, or on the gas a lot, then you will have to check and watch your engine. A good indication is watching the compression drop. Measure it when new (broken in) and use that as a baseline.

The riding I do is generally very technical and slow for the most part. Rarely do I hit up roads/dirt roads or even much double track. I find I like to rebuild the top end every two years and even then it's not a lot of money. Heck, yearly isn't bad either if I felt it needed it.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 08-250XC

One of the biggest things I hate about a KTM is the image that goes along with them too. Too much brand hype and marketing and too many falling for it.

QUOTE]

So you mean i went a little overboard with my KTM tent and bike tent, camping chairs, bikini, sticker on my truck, air freshener, dog leash/collar, beer coozy, ..oh and my KTM skate shoes!?:eek: LOL j/k, although I do love supporting my brand, the amount of money I spend on the bike alone is enough to support them, lol but I do sport the orange KTM logo on the back window of my truck.. I picked up a KTM catalouge at the bike show yesterday and looking at all the different KTM goodies you can get..like realy.. a KTM bike tent?? whats wrong with a tarp?? lol

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 08-250XC

QUOTE]

So you mean i went a little overboard with my KTM tent and bike tent, camping chairs, bikini, sticker on my truck, air freshener, dog leash/collar, beer coozy, ..oh and my KTM skate shoes!?:eek: LOL j/k, although I do love supporting my brand, the amount of money I spend on the bike alone is enough to support them, lol but I do sport the orange KTM logo on the back window of my truck.. I picked up a KTM catalouge at the bike show yesterday and looking at all the different KTM goodies you can get..like realy.. a KTM bike tent?? whats wrong with a tarp?? lol

That's exactly what I mean. Not to mention everybody with all this orange stuff and anodized orange parts now think they are racers. One thing in dirt is the more flashy you are, chances are the slower you ride.

I don't race much but ride with a lot of racers. I did one race a few years ago with the sea of orange. There was two suzy's (me on one of them, the other a 92RM), two honda's, one kwaker, and one husaberg.

THe best part of winning that race was me on a suzy coming in first, the 92 RM suzy coming in second (he actually won the race but was in the vet class!!), and followed up by a Husaberg and Kwaker.

Show them flashy KTM riders how to ride!

I enjoy my bike, but I'm not going to paint my truck orange because of it.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha, well although my favourite color is actually "no joke", orange, thats not the reason why I got the KTM. I was ready to advance out of an 85 CC, and a 125CC is too big, so my options were KX100 or SX105 ..thought about the 4 stroke CRF150R, but maybe a bit too heavy so I opted for the SX since I ride with too many girls that have KX100's... and to be honest I think I will continue riding KTM's as long as they keep making a bike that suits my needs and size perfectly :)

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea, I see lots of women riding KX100's.

Problem with smaller 2-strokes is they lack the torque to easily ride them. They are a bit high strung. For that reason I would think the 150 is a good bike even with the added weight.

It's all personal preference. I've yet to ride a 4-stroke I really like, and I like my 2-smokes. I would like to get some seat time on the new YZ450 and Husabergs though. Maybe the Husky 380.

xcrider

Reaction score
I've been off bikes for 20+years and got back into the sport to ride along with my son. He's riding an 06 crf250r. I rode jis bike and really liked the 4st grunt, but being an old 2 smoke rider,I decided to pursue finding the right bike for me.
i chose KTM mainly because an uncle owns a shop and I've always liked the orange color!! Also in my neck-o-the-woods there are next to none around here.........so nice being a little different in the sea of red!
I've had an rm250 and 2 cr500's so i knew the 2st inside out. I just don't like the valve issue thing with the 4 strokes and the starting troubles their prone to get.
So found a great deal on an 07 250XC. So far i have to say this thing has met most of my expectations. The suspension is not to my liking quite yet but the power keeps the smile on my face every time I throw a leg over it!
IMO you cannot beat the dependability of the 2st and the lower maintenance is also a big plus.
If you set on a 4st go with a 450 minimum...cuz you'll never run out of power.With the 250 4st you will be looking for more power once you're used to it.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been off bikes for 20+years and got back into the sport to ride along with my son. He's riding an 06 crf250r. I rode jis bike and really liked the 4st grunt, but being an old 2 smoke rider,I decided to pursue finding the right bike for me.
i chose KTM mainly because an uncle owns a shop and I've always liked the orange color!! Also in my neck-o-the-woods there are next to none around here.........so nice being a little different in the sea of red!
I've had an rm250 and 2 cr500's so i knew the 2st inside out. I just don't like the valve issue thing with the 4 strokes and the starting troubles their prone to get.
So found a great deal on an 07 250XC. So far i have to say this thing has met most of my expectations. The suspension is not to my liking quite yet but the power keeps the smile on my face every time I throw a leg over it!
IMO you cannot beat the dependability of the 2st and the lower maintenance is also a big plus.
If you set on a 4st go with a 450 minimum...cuz you'll never run out of power.With the 250 4st you will be looking for more power once you're used to it.

Not till I head up there with mine!

Parents have a cabin at Ministikwan. I've only brought my dirtbike there once. Trails aren't very bike friendly or that exciting unless I'm doing stupid speeds on them. Too many blind corners at that point.

Other then that I just jump on a KWAD and ride.

Anything good to ride up in Cold Lake? I like tight and technical, or faster and flowing.

winterax

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Problem with smaller 2-strokes is they lack the torque to easily ride them. They are a bit high strung. For that reason I would think the 150 is a good bike even with the added weight.

It's all personal preference. I've yet to ride a 4-stroke I really like, and I like my 2-smokes. I would like to get some seat time on the new YZ450 and Husabergs though. Maybe the Husky 380.

Other son has a KTM144 SX. We raced it for the first time at the Oldtimers Snowman race last weekend ( team type race ) and I can honestly say that bike was the most fun I've ever had on in the last 38 years of riding dirt bikes. Incredible torque, handling and it only weighs about 200 pounds! If you're "graduating" from an 85 or 105, its the bike to have. May even trade in my 300 on one!:)

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

They are high strung, luckily for me I am quite able to control this little beast very well for a 5'1, 112 lb girl lol. The 105 has way more torque then the 85 I can feel the difference in the power and how much easier it is to control the power in the KTM...its a great bike, I feel more confident on it so i'm hitting bigger hill climbs, bigger jumps and challenging myself on technical trail rides and becoming a much better rider...I could just never seem to get anywhere on my 85..I was scared of it. Now I have some guts I will jump on a 250 or a 450 even (yes I need help getting on and off) and I love them! Bigger bikes are just so fun to ride, I wish I was big enough to have my own!

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other son has a KTM144 SX. We raced it for the first time at the Oldtimers Snowman race last weekend ( team type race ) and I can honestly say that bike was the most fun I've ever had on in the last 38 years of riding dirt bikes. Incredible torque, handling and it only weighs about 200 pounds! If you're "graduating" from an 85 or 105, its the bike to have. May even trade in my 300 on one!:)

My buddy has a 144, still.. a lil too big for me :(. I thought they discontinued the 144 and came out with the 150? I wish they would make like a 115..that would be perfect for me!! lol

eattheweak

Reaction score
Thanks for your input, still shopping and yes there is alot of marketing, I don't really care about that stuff, not a GQ man, just looking for a good bike that hande nice, which I heard the 300 does, and that has good power. Im not looking at any of the 450+, getting old don't wnat to throw around that much weight:)

Thanks again

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are high strung, luckily for me I am quite able to control this little beast very well for a 5'1, 112 lb girl lol. The 105 has way more torque then the 85 I can feel the difference in the power and how much easier it is to control the power in the KTM...its a great bike, I feel more confident on it so i'm hitting bigger hill climbs, bigger jumps and challenging myself on technical trail rides and becoming a much better rider...I could just never seem to get anywhere on my 85..I was scared of it. Now I have some guts I will jump on a 250 or a 450 even (yes I need help getting on and off) and I love them! Bigger bikes are just so fun to ride, I wish I was big enough to have my own!

Yea, I've seen that as being an issue with many women. The height is a problem. Being 6'4" I don't have that issue what-so-ever. However some of my riding buddies do and I can't help but laugh when they stop on off-camber and fall over. bhahaa. I giggle just thinking about it.

Often a bigger bike is easier to ride. I tell people who are jumping into dirt to start on a 250 rather then 125. A 200 being a nice alternative. If they can handle the size, the torque makes riding MUCH easier. Especially in technical terrain which 80% of our riding is out here. Our group rides mostly tight single track and without torque you simply aren't making it very easily.

Lastly, just giver! Don't think. The split second of pausing is the time which takes you to fail. Gas and think later. I've tried to get a lot of people over this reaction. Some manage, others fail. You may fall a couple times, but you did it. You learn, and you move on.

I'm sure you, or anybody on here wasn't looking for a riding lesson, but you got it. Hopefully it was helpful :p

Lastly, get out and ride! Everybody needs to have fun, respect the trails, and keep things going in Alberta!

PSS: If anybody is in the area I'll gladly show you around our riding trails. As much as I appreciate other locals giving me the tour. So if either of you are down in the area and never rode out here lemme know. Myself, and my group are always good with showing people around. Some pretty amazing riding down south on all skill levels. I hope to do more road trips this year all over B.C and up north.

xcrider

Reaction score
Shibby, we have some good trail riding here around Cold Lake, everything you can imagine, except for big hills.
we have a new mx track too, great track still trying to get used to it. As being out of mx for 20 years I have to take it slow and easy.
I can tell my 250xc's suspension is not setup for the track so will have too tweak it a little. The power though is bang on.Almost most too much for me!!

Eattheweak.....pick up a ktm 250 2stroke and enjoy. You will not be disappointed....I wasn't!
And there a fair bit cheaper than the 300's. Put savings into gear, mods and gas!!!!!

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks XC. Maybe one of these times that I stay longer at the parents cabin I'll bring the bike.

The 08's were a special year. They didn't have the soft XC/XC-W suspension the 09's received. They had the closed chamber nitrogen filled forks. I would suspect they are decent enough on the track. I have yet to get this bike on the track though. I prefer trails, plus I run a trials tire which would not hold up well on a track =)

Thanks for the post.

Top Bottom