Kodiak 400 help

Gray130

Reaction score
Having serious issues with an old bike
it's a '93 yamaha Kodiak 400 and yes I realize it's an antique but I have never any trouble with it and have only done routine maint. This year I was talked into putting a new carb kit in and all has gone to hell. It idles fine and will run ok but just cruiseing it'll fall on it's face and then catch up again. I've adjusted the rich/lean to where it runs best. It will go through a full tank in under 3miles and I'm gettin fuel smoke in the exhaust and fuel in the air box but it's not backfiring at all. after walking 3miles home I'm at a loss as to what is causing this problem.
could it be a stuck or bent int or ex valve or maybe the carb kit was too big
any help would b greatly appreciated

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Having serious issues with an old bike
it's a '93 yamaha Kodiak 400 and yes I realize it's an antique but I have never any trouble with it and have only done routine maint. This year I was talked into putting a new carb kit in and all has gone to hell. It idles fine and will run ok but just cruiseing it'll fall on it's face and then catch up again. I've adjusted the rich/lean to where it runs best. It will go through a full tank in under 3miles and I'm gettin fuel smoke in the exhaust and fuel in the air box but it's not backfiring at all. after walking 3miles home I'm at a loss as to what is causing this problem.
could it be a stuck or bent int or ex valve or maybe the carb kit was too big
any help would b greatly appreciated

I would take the carb kit out..and put the original parts back in.these machines are very tough bikes ..Sounds like that is the root of the problem...I had a 97 Kodiak years ago,,,The float stuck once on mine and filled the air box full of gas,,,everyonce and a while the main jet on the bottom of the carb got full of crap ,had to clean it out a few times ,,and i think i put a new needle i mine as well,,cant totally remember now,,,,good luck with the repairs

I had 8000 k.M. on mine when i sold it ,,,,the only major thing i had to do was put a rear end in it....stupid rear axel design

Last edited:

Gray130

Reaction score
Thx for the help
all of my bikes r dated (have a 83 200s Honda as well but too fat for it to pull me and my gear around lol) I'm almost considering getting a new bike but don't know what to go with now tying to make this one last atleast through the season

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friends Honda was acting like this last spring, we put a new carb kit and adjusted the hell out of it, turned out it had jumped the timing. Same signs, fuel in the exhaust, fuel getting dumped into the air box. Pull the intake tube off the carb and see if it is spitting raw fuel. If so I'd suspect timing out.

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure choke isn"t sticking on...and as somone else said....check your float to ensure its not stuck...

Big Jon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Undo what you've done before checking timing. Start with the cheap and work up.

Top Bottom