Known Pro Issues

nosaj82

Reaction score
Hey guys,

so I decided to get back into sledding and got a great deal on an 11 pro rmk 800. I'm curious to know if there is any issues I could be facing? Would like to nip it now. The original owner has never had a problem and neither have I yet.

APpreciate the feedback.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would do a fix kit, and a fuel filter and crank the oiler up and ride it.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would do a fix kit for sure, all regular maintenance items, plus I would pull out the skid to check all the bearing and replace them as needed. Otherwise just gas oil and go.

nosaj82

Reaction score
I would do a fix kit for sure, all regular maintenance items, plus I would pull out the skid to check all the bearing and replace them as needed. Otherwise just gas oil and go.
I've done all the regular maintenance as soon as I got it home, went as far as cleaning under the hood and dielectric grease every plug on the sled, looks like new under the hood now. Had the skid out for new sliders so I checked everything and all was good underneath.

What at exactly is a fix kit?

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've done all the regular maintenance as soon as I got it home, went as far as cleaning under the hood and dielectric grease every plug on the sled, looks like new under the hood now. Had the skid out for new sliders so I checked everything and all was good underneath.

What at exactly is a fix kit?

there was a problem with the piston skirt cracking, the pistons are slapping the cylinders. so there are fix kits for the 800 liberty from 07..maybe 08 cant remember to 2012. comes with a better piston and a spacer between the case and cylinders.

Snow X | High Performance Parts
The ''FIX'' Performance Motor Sports Ashton, ID (208) 652-7738
Dragon 800: Save Your Dragon 800 With our Dragon Saver Rebuild Kit | Rebuilt Snowmobile Engines

some links for you theres more but you get the idea

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A fix kit puts in new taller pistons and a shim under the cylinder to accommodate the new pistons, the stock piston castings tend to shrink and then rock in the cylinder eventually causing either the piston skirt or cylinder skirt to break off wrecking the motor(the 13 and newer engines have thicker cylinder skirts making the problem less common). The new pistons are of better construction eliminating the shrinkage, as well as by being taller limits the amount they can "rock" back and forth in the cylinder. I myself run a MTNTek kit but there are others that make them as well. I pulled my motor apart at the beginning of the season with about 1300kms on the kit and all looked well, I currently have 1800km on it and its still running good, and of course all of this is running with a turbo set at 7lbs boost. The rest of the motor has just over 3000km on it.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there was a problem with the piston skirt cracking, the pistons are slapping the cylinders. so there are fix kits for the 800 liberty from 07..maybe 08 cant remember to 2012. comes with a better piston and a spacer between the case and cylinders.

Fix kits go all the way to 15, they still run the same crap pistons from the factory, just less broke cylinder skirts due to the thicker cylinder walls. My pistons were at the max service limit for clearance at 1200kms. This should hopefully change for 2016 and the new HO motor.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because of the height of the pistons and positioning of the rings there is premature wear on the piston skirts.
This is a very well know issue that Polarise does not aknowledge.
I just had a kit installed in my 2012 with 2200 miles on it. The compression on the pto side was down to 95 psi.after the kit installed both cylinders are at 140psi.

nosaj82

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I'll be looking into this fix kit tomorrow.

Anybody have any decent clutch set ups that there willing to share. Mine is bone stock except for a jaws can.

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because of the height of the pistons and positioning of the rings there is premature wear on the piston skirts.
This is a very well know issue that Polarise does not aknowledge.
I just had a kit installed in my 2012 with 2200 miles on it. The compression on the pto side was down to 95 psi.after the kit installed both cylinders are at 140psi.

thats decent miles before a fix

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats decent miles before a fix

Yes, it was deffinatly time to have it done, possibly one more ride and it would have cost me Con rods, crank and a jug.

I had it done at Sayler Motorsports in Lacombe. Great fast work and good prices. I have about 300km on it since it was done, including a trip to Revy/Sicamous.

Reaction score
I would check and make sure the oil cap is functional. I would still dril two holes in it. Also if your worried about a fix kit just pull the cylinder head off and check for the piston rock in the bores. 1200 kms is pretty low

nosaj82

Reaction score
I would check and make sure the oil cap is functional. I would still dril two holes in it. Also if your worried about a fix kit just pull the cylinder head off and check for the piston rock in the bores. 1200 kms is pretty low
Oil cap functional, do they fail? Why Drill two holes in it? Please elaborate.

Thanks for advice in advance

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oil cap functional, do they fail? Why Drill two holes in it? Please elaborate.

Thanks for advice in advance

I believe some caps would get stuck and not vent. eventually the pump pulls a vacuum in the bottle which starves the engine of oil. so by drilling a hole or two you prevent it from creating a vacuum.
Does anyone else know if the 11's were the ones with tunnel kinks by the footwell? not sure if that was a certain year issue or just from over abuse?

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I'll be looking into this fix kit tomorrow.

Anybody have any decent clutch set ups that there willing to share. Mine is bone stock except for a jaws can.

yep, do the kit. After the rebuild of my 2011 with 800miles on it. I have the video to prove the sled runs smoother. Felt a difference in power (maybe 4 hp). Wish I had the kit I do now to put on it. I sold it before I could put the slp stage 3 on it.

Once my 2014 runs out of warranty, the kit is going in.

Top Bottom