klim suit or abs bag???

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm with those that picked the Klim gear...better chance of being stranded then buried (hopefully). Someone stated above that the bag is only good if it works and IF YOU REMEMBER TO PULL THE CORD...I would have laughed at this statement last year but I purchased a new bag and was caught up in a small slide last year that was triggered by someone else when it was over another rider asked me "why didn't you use your bag? did you think the avy was to small?" Truth was it happened so fast and I was trying to get out of its path that I totally forgot about pulling the cord...so it can and DOES happen ...just something else to think about.

CRF230LKEL

Reaction score
I would go with good clothing to help you stay warm and dry.
I have spent the night in the mountains during a bad storm, was glad i spent the money for good gear.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Avalanche training course first and then decide what you need for gear.

Do you have a good digital transiever, probe, shovel, and saw? That would come first even before your snowsuit IMO.

Your outer layer is probably the next on the list for safety,but you don't need to spend $1000 for good gear.

There is also a pack with an avalung for around $100-200. A good option if you just can't afford an ABS bag.

If you are riding avy terrain, then I suggest you fill the above list, then beg, borrow, or steal to get the bag. It's impossible stay off the slopes, and even if you do everything right, there are other people on the hill who could get you into trouble.

jevs28

Reaction score
hmmm. ok. well maybe i can do both. found a 6 year old bag on the internet for 500 bucks. i think thats when the bags came out, but not sure. i wonder if they are like a brand new tranny that comes out.. give em a few years to work the kinks out.. haha hope not! :)

UkrainianMudKing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get the suit, and play safe, take your AST1 and know where not to be. Like others have said you have a better chance of being stuck overnight than a avalanch.

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy the suit and take an AST1 course.
If you have to use the bag you already made a bunch of mistakes. Best way to survive an avy is too not get caught in one.

x2. Take the course so you can hopefully avoid the situation in the first place.

CoyoteGirl

Reaction score
Gear first! Good gear is a must, it's used every ride out! But don't shy away from buying gently used gear from someone too! I know lots of people who take very good care of their gear and sell it every year... just a thought!

Awareness class (at the minimum) is a close first too. Teach you to use a very valuable and free tool you already have, your brain (that you also use every ride out)! :)

Last to me would be the bag. Nice to have but hopefully never use.

hmmm. ok. well maybe i can do both. found a 6 year old bag on the internet for 500 bucks.

Have you looked into BCA? Brand new they are $699 US...

mcride

Reaction score
ABS is a great bag. But not the only way to go. The BCA is less money and just as effective IMO. Good points by all here. Both are saftey related for sure.

mcride

Reaction score
If it is ABS you can weigh the canister to see if it is still good. Better yet set it off as a test then get a new canister. But dont assume that it works.

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tek vest is only $750 and it has all the padding/armor to save the ribs! is a avy bag also....

It only comes in limited sizes, if it came in an xxl I sure would have looked at it. Instead I got a Float 30m, it's comfy, I hardly even notice that its on and it has a guage for air pressure.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It only comes in limited sizes, if it came in an xxl I sure would have looked at it. Instead I got a Float 30m, it's comfy, I hardly even notice that its on and it has a guage for air pressure.

ya dont know why such a limmited sizes? the large is the bigest in the tekvest! guess I cant put on any weight! lol

jeepchic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to say I agree completely with Coyotegirl and all the others on the...
By the gear first...you need to be warm and comfortable first and foremost to enjoy the ride to start with!!! Not to mention if you are stuck out in the weather for a prolonged period of time...which is more likely to happen...

Definitely take an avi course and a rescue course to practice your skills...and to learn to use the brain...lol

Last is an Avi pack of any brand...An item that is a "Nice to have but not necessarily a Need to have"...if you ride safe and just like driving a car...watch out for the A$$es that are riding unsafely around you, you are unlikely going to ever need the Avi pack...

Get the Av pack next year or when funds are better...Gear first...be warm and comfy...come home at the end of the day wanting to go back out right away...not wishing you never went because you where cold and wet by the end of the day....

Also check out other brands that might not be as expensive as Klim but is just as effective...just a thought

Top Bottom