klim suit or abs bag???

jevs28

Reaction score
im having a mental dispute with myself.. new klim suit or an abs backpack?? does anyone know if they actually work?? what are the chances of someone actually thinking to pull the damn cord when the ground starts to slip beneath you? my fxr suit has done well for me now for about 5 years, in good shape still, but theres nothing waterproof about it anymore.. klim has some real nice lightweight gear... so.. abs bag, and a bottle of waterproofer, or klim suit??? anyone have suggestions? LJ

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BUY THE ABS PACK!!! its your life on the line! we just went to an avy course buy the pack!:d

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X55 buy the bag to get you through till next year so you can buy a new coat.

Buy a can of scotch gaurd to get ya by this year!

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
get the klim gear.
it could save your life too.
put on your current gear and go outside and shovel for 2 hours, then walk for a few miles, then build a shelter and spend the night outside.
sounds silly, but the odds of this happening far out weigh the odds of being in an avy.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy the suit and take an AST1 course.
If you have to use the bag you already made a bunch of mistakes. Best way to survive an avy is too not get caught in one.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
buy the suit, rather be dry and warm all winter and ride smart, then being wet and being a hero. just saying.

Attachments

• flame suit (Small) (Small).bmp
    85.6 KB · Views: 263

Dobir

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apply for another credit card and get both.

Get the best gear...use common sense to stay away from the hills that kill. In my opinion if you are using common sense regarding avys you still have a greater chance of spending the night out and need to be dry to survive. I have all the gear now but would never go without goretex!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep gear is better. As said, better chance of spending the night then being in a avy. And a bag isn't guaranteed to do anything, you might not pull it, it might not deploy, it might not matter, etc, etc. And if your caught that badly you've screwed up a lot of things already. Good gear and a good avy course is a FAR better investment.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sledding is an expensive sport, and mountain sledding is even more expensive. I think what a person has to do is put the priorities in order. Provided that you already have the absolute necessities for mountain riding(non-negotiable) Digital beacon, probe, and shovel. For riding in the mountains, an AST 1 course is a MUST. That is the number one investment to make. You will be surprised and maybe even a little freaked out (ok maybe a lot) that your riding style and what you knew before you took this course was much to be desired!! Learning how to read the snowpack, and how to use your avalanche gear is priceless!!

Number two I think would be the ABS pack, there is some good deals out there on these bags, and don't hesitate to buy last year's models at a reduced price. The idea of these bags is that in an event of a slide, when you pull the cord you will rise to the top because your mass is much bigger. The airbag will also provide a bigger airspace giving you added time while you are being dug out. I'm not suggesting that these bags are foolproof, but if something is available on the market that may give you an added chance if the inevitable happened, wouldn't anyone jump on that?

Number three I think is investing in good gear!! Klim is top notch, spendy but worth it. So nice to be warm and dry after a long, hard day in the mountains.

Good luck on whatever you chose to go with, hopefully the AST 1 course first.....:)

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sledding is an expensive sport, and mountain sledding is even more expensive. I think what a person has to do is put the priorities in order. Provided that you already have the absolute necessities for mountain riding(non-negotiable) Digital beacon, probe, and shovel. For riding in the mountains, an AST 1 course is a MUST. That is the number one investment to make. You will be surprised and maybe even a little freaked out (ok maybe a lot) that your riding style and what you knew before you took this course was much to be desired!! Learning how to read the snowpack, and how to use your avalanche gear is priceless!!

Number two I think would be the ABS pack, there is some good deals out there on these bags, and don't hesitate to buy last year's models at a reduced price. The idea of these bags is that in an event of a slide, when you pull the cord you will rise to the top because your mass is much bigger. The airbag will also provide a bigger airspace giving you added time while you are being dug out. I'm not suggesting that these bags are foolproof, but if something is available on the market that may give you an added chance if the inevitable happened, wouldn't anyone jump on that?

Number three I think is investing in good gear!! Klim is top notch, spendy but worth it. So nice to be warm and dry after a long, hard day in the mountains.

Good luck on whatever you chose to go with, hopefully the AST 1 course first.....:)

A ABS pack does you no good if you can pushed into a tree, off a cliff, or into a river or hit with a huge chunk or ice or whatever. They have their place when someone screws up to hopefully give them another chance, but anyone using them to think they are safer out in the backcountry is kidding themselves.

Good investment for sure, but I would sooner invest the money in even better gear, and more avalanche training and IMO you will be better off.

I don't want a ABS pack. Because I never want to put myself in a situation to use it, and knowledge is better then o chit gear.

honda mike

Reaction score
Avalanche course first.
Suit second.
ABS- 3rd.

Knowledge is power.Try and get the knowledge to ride like you will never have to use the beacon or bag. Beacons and bags are for when the ch!t has already hit the fan. You or your buds don't want to go there if at all possible.

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good riding gear , then a sat phone or spot in a riding group before a avy bag

Top Bottom