Kingcat Steering post!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I did it again,Bent my steering post.First time I just dropped it off at ther dealer and said fix it.This time Im ordering a wildchild rider forward chromoly post and having it filled with epoxy.Then Im going to install it myself,well Im going to try.Was told it is a pain to get at so Im looking for any tips ,help,too doo's,not too doo's,so on! Why does that word Doo keep popping in my head,Hmm,Am I frustrated I Doo think so!
` catmando!
Ric ought to have a field day with this one!

Attachments

• P1110010.jpg
    P1110010.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 96

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Well I did it again,Bent my steering post.First time I just dropped it off at ther dealer and said fix it.This time Im ordering a wildchild rider forward chromoly post and having it filled with epoxy.Then Im going to install it myself,well Im going to try.Was told it is a pain to get at so Im looking for any tips ,help,too doo's,not too doo's,so on! Why does that word Doo keep popping in my head,Hmm,Am I frustrated I Doo think so!
` catmando!
Ric ought to have a field day with this one!

HMMMMMMMM, MY LIPS ARE SEALED............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................OKAY, MAYBE NOT..... BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA. WHEW, THERE!:d:d

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just did mine with a wildchild standard post 2 months ago.

1. Pick up 18 pack beer(take as necessary)
2. Lift sled off ground(I use pop shop plastic cases)
3. Remove 30 hex bolts holding belly pan on (find everything you've dropped over the years)
4. Remove air box and plug carbs/throttle bodies
5. Remove bars from post
6. Get helper underneath to hold bolt on pivot arm(to tie rods)
7. From top with 2 long extensions undo pivot arm bolt
8. Undo steering post bottom mount
9. Remove bottom mounting bracket(check for square and weld holding it, see pic below)
10. Unbolt upper mounting bracket and bushings.
11. Gently slide post out bottom.

Reverse steps for install. Total time about 2 hours. You will have to trim around the hood and instrument pod for the rider forward install.

Don't overtorque the upper bracket on install, the cross support will collapse easily.

SteeringPost.jpg

Steeringbase.jpg

As for the switching from the King to a Doo, it's always better to be pulling the tow rope, than being pulled by it.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You are my new Hero,sorry ric your out LOL!!!LMAO!Thanks a bunch,I will print that and staple it to my wall of my garage and get to it.Why didnt you go with the rider forward post,I hear it works real nice.
Once again thanks for your reply!
catmando!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As for switching from a cat to a doo!
BA! HA! LOL!.............Never Happen!
Thats kind of like fishing and Ric takes the bait every time LOL!
catmando!
I will double with TG before I ever buy a Doo!

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a rox riser, so I can set it up similiar to rider forward. I didn't feel like doing all the cutting, etc.

You can't go wrong with Kurts products, top notch and great to deal with.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will be very tight getting the airbox back on between the mag side throttle body and the steering post.

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
well uturn how did you got a hold of wildchild
he doesnt answer on snowwest doesnt answer mails
catman tried phoning him no answer !

thx for info maybe his phonenumber has changed

thats the one me and catman are trying

250 547 9691

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds good Murminator
Ric ............Your not invited LOL!LMAO!
catmando!

Dr. Meatman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put a forward mount steering post on my king cat and all I can say is....why the hell didn't they come from the factory like that...honest to god my old iron would turn just as hard as the M8 I was riding with, We switched for a little while and he couldn't believe the difference just the rider forward post made.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup, here too! One of best things I did to the old sled. Like riding a new sled. Love it.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks,finally got a hold of Kurt and after talking to him I ordered my post,should be here before the end of next week.He told me about the bit of extra work involved in the rider forward post,Shaving off a motor mount and cutting a backing plate and cutting up the dash a bit.He explained a few things and some alternatives as he will custom make them any way you want.Well because Im just so handy with tools I choose one of the alternatives.I ordered a stock post that is four inches longer and made out of chromoly and he will put a bend forward in the post as it comes out of the dash resulting in the post ending up about an inch forward,with my crossbones I should almost have the same effect as the rider forward post.It is also filled with epoxy to reduce flex and add strength.Once completed I will make a point to get out for a ride with ZRrrr and do a comparison.
Will post pics as I go!May take you guys up on your offer once I figure out when I will find the time!
catmando!

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
ordered mine too but the forward post hopefully you dont install mine than catman :d

i doubt you will compare with ZRrr cause he told me his is bent and now scrapmetall

Top Bottom