King Quad over heating all the time

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
what can i do i clean the rad out after every trip

Best bet is to relocate the rad to the back of the front rack make it easier to get at/clean....I've never had to do this but I've never had an issue with my machines overheating....If I did it would be the first thing I'd do....

I'm sure someone on here can walk you through it.....or for enough beer even come help you out....

Welcome to the site:d

brianwmcdonald

Reaction score
Try adding water wetter to your coolant, about 12 bucks a bottle at c-tire. You could also wrap your exhaust with header wrap to try and keep some of the heat away from your engine. Thats what i did with my Rubi and it works excellent. Water wetter for sure!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
There is cleaning it off ....then there is "cleaning it" you have to able to see through the rad no see through than no air can pass though to cool. Put a trouble light behind and you should see it clear as day....I can read the letters of the warning lable through mine and never an overheating issue

Bruteskeg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you might have to take off some plastic on the front of the king quad to clean the rad not sure how easy they are to get at you propaly got her caked full of muskeg and mud and what ever else. That happened to my brute on sunday was was hittin most the holes pretty hard then at the end of the trip I started over heating. rad was pluged solid. The brute though is easy to clean the rad out just use a pressure washer and blow all the crap out. Some guys dont like using pressure washers cause there scared of bending finns on the rad but Iv never had any issues with that just gotta wash with the finns on the rad and dont get too close.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rads suck.. because honestly.. when you think you have cleaned it .. you probably are not even close to done the job.

when a rad fills right up with mud.. usually it bakes to the rad. without taking the rad right out there is a good chance it will never get fully cleaned. seriously i cleaned a rad out the other night. from the front it looked clean. we pulled the rad out and not one single fin could have passed air. the back of the rad was fully plugged and the plug went nearly all the way to the front of the rad.

it took us 30 min with a pressure washer and warm water to clean it out. we had to flip the rad over and over to get all of the dirt out and when we were done.. no word of a lie the rad weighed atleast 3 lbs lighter no kidding.

ive always thought i washed my rad on my grizzly out fairly good .. but after cleaning that last rad i'm debating taking mine right out and cleaning it as well. possibly even relocating it to the rack lol.

i honestly think these atv makers need to give easy access to these rads for cleaning.. should def be a priority.

oh and if your overheating every trip.. sry to say you should probably take the rad out and clean it .. then make sure to throughly clean it after every ride that fallows.. because most likely your rad is too plugged atm to be cleaned by spraying from the front. It happens like i said above rads can get to the point where it takes a ton to clean them out.. and 30min on the shop floor with a hot pressure washer is going to be alot faster than trying to clean it out from where it is. and not knowing if you got all the mud out is the worst part.

RichardL

Reaction score
I have an 05 KQ as well every ride I get in there with the garden hose nozzle and keep at it until I can see the trouble light. Its too bad the rad wasn't made with coarser fins as it would be a lot easier to clean and would not plug as easy. I have thought about remounting to the rack but sometimes all the carrying capacity is needed. I am going to try installing a screen in front of the rad and see how that works. Good luck.

feyd

Reaction score
I have an 05 KQ as well every ride I get in there with the garden hose nozzle and keep at it until I can see the trouble light. Its too bad the rad wasn't made with coarser fins as it would be a lot easier to clean and would not plug as easy. I have thought about remounting to the rack but sometimes all the carrying capacity is needed. I am going to try installing a screen in front of the rad and see how that works. Good luck.

I will just save you some time and engine overheating.....don't put a screen in front. A couple guys in Edmonton tried that and it actually made it worse.

I know having the rad on the front rack is a PITA but it's the only sure way to keep it out of the mud and it makes foe easy cleaning. You can always get a bigger rear box/storage and/or some of those fender bags that PA sells.

feyd

Reaction score
Thanks for that did you mount your rad on the rack?

I sure did....it's actually a Highlifter kit but it's the same idea. I wasn't overheating before I did it but I wanted to make sure. At the Robb rally last year people were getting their quads pressure washed at the first check point because there was so much mud in the rads.....mine was clean, clear and fine.

Attachments

• 227513.jpg
    227513.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 63

ForeverRMK!

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips

:confused: I'm not sure if your quad has a thermostat but some times they stick half open and don't let enough coolant flow though, might be another thing to check into... Also check if your cooling fan is working properly, they tend to fail also...:beer::beer:

JBD

Reaction score
I had a loose connection on the bottom of my ignition switch. This was making my quad overheat. The power to the cooling fan curcuit was feed through this connectoin.
My quad is a Honda.

deerboy

Reaction score
I had the same problem with overheating. Best solution is to remove the rad and wash it out. My heating problems were solved after that.

Top Bottom