KIJIJI BS or FAIR PLAY

Audette13

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i have been looking for some after market suspension for some time now searching the forums ,kijij, ebay, for something decently priced, Saturday i had found a set of 4 shocks all freshly serviced(on kijiji down in Okotoks), I emailed buddy, then called the next day spoke with him, he explained the history of the shocks, and we agreed on the price, i set everything up to drive down this coming weekend (from Edmonton, accommodations, etc)

Last evening i get an email basically saying, sorry chump but i sold them to a friend instead, and telling me to talk to a contact of his up hear and tell him the story and maybe get a laugh /deal on some shocks from him??? adding a little insult to injury after the fact??

I get selling stuff to your friends first before a random person, but why not check with everyone you know prior to posting an add on-line and reaching a deal with someone?

Any thoughts? or 17" c to c after market shocks out there for an IQ, lol

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's tough but first guy with the money gets the toys in my book. if ya wanted them that bad, then ya make the extra effort and go, otherwise they will get sold. at least the guy told ya they were sold, and offered a solution. and it is only a 3 hr drive one way, or a $25 bus trip for the shocks, ya snooze ya lose.

Audette13

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
quote from the email, " bad news a buddy from hockey approached me tonight about the shocks. Told him they where sold but he pestered me all night about them. HE IS A FRIEND OF MINE and that's the ONLY I let him have them. "

had nothing to do with the money, plus i made the effort and i was going ,lol (being on call i had to wait till friday before i could leave town, which was no problem he said)

nothing i can really do but just choked is all

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it sucks, but the guy has no idea who you are and will see his bud way more. chalk it up to a learning experience, if ya want it go get it, before it is gone.

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya it's chitty that you can't make verbal agreement anymore now a days!

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya it's chitty that you can't make verbal agreement anymore now a days!

I'm trying to selling one of my motorcycles, and I've had two verbal agreements with people to buy it, and they both pulled out last minute (the day they were to come pick it up).

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Money up front or no dice. I would have probably done the same thing in the sellers position as he doesn't know you, or owe you anything. And I think it's actually decent of him to tell you they were gone and the local solution might be alright. Send him some cash via EMT and he probably would have had no issue telling his buddy to buzz off.

I am still waiting for some people that were super interested, coming on Friday so hold them for me, for stuff I sold over 2 years ago...... Get the idea?

It sucks for you, but it is what it is.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think that's fair "first with money takes it". I was selling my 2007 zx600r 2 years ago and a girl asked if she could view it but couldn't make it until the weekend ( it was a Monday or Tuesday) so i agreed to wait since she was the first to reply. Got 5-6 calls in between and I told them I'd hold onto their info and get back to them if she didn't show.

She was very grateful I held onto it and did buy it. I've had no shows with things before but I've still never sold underneath a deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to selling one of my motorcycles, and I've had two verbal agreements with people to buy it, and they both pulled out last minute (the day they were to come pick it up).

Agreed, I'm sure you (OP) were good for it but If I had dime for every guy that said "I"ll take it!" and not show up I could buy a happy meal.

Now I tell them I will only hold with a non-refundable deposit.

Having said that I'm currenly holding my panels till tomorrow night for someone with no deposit. I hope I wont regret that again.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
True...... but why is it so hard for someone to float a deposit for something they really want? I do it. Hell, even the act of someone offering a deposit on something is probably good enough. This whole deal with no exchange of currency can be great and result in a sale, but is equally as likely to result in a no show.

Otherwise, I don't hold anything for anyone because I have had my time wasted as many times as I have sold an item. Actually I should rephrase that because it's the other way around. I naturally assume a person won't show up ( I don't live in a town or city and driving is too hard) so when they do it's a positive usually pleasant experience. It's not that I deal with bad people, I don't actually. It's just the people that pull the no show that make it this way.

I am different than most of you because I live 40 minutes from Edmonton. Most people simply refuse to drive out here even after they say they will. And unless I am heading to Edmonton for something otherwise I am not making a special trip in for $50 or $100.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to me off kijiji with different circumstances. Dude had a welder posted for two weeks min in kijij, no bites, I finally went to look on friday evening (didnt bother hiting the bank before cause wasnt sure I was buying), so I check it out and its good, talking to the guy he says he has buddies that wanted it but never ponied up. So I say I'll take it and go to the bank, when I get there its closed and I can only pull 400 from the machine. So I go back to see him and explain the problem, I say I'll leave the 400 as a deposit and be back first thing sat morning after the bank opens and pull the rest. He says dont worry about the deposit just come back tomorrow with the full amount, "I'LL HOLD IT FOR YOU"!!!. Saturday morning I get full amount and phone him to tell him Im on my way, he proceds to tell me that his buddy said to hold it for him. Pissed I was!!!

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya first one with cash wins, ive held to many things for the extra day and lost too many sales because of no shows, (sh!t i had 2 VERY interested buyers that were for sure coming this weekend for a super duty grill and a winch that never showed) but i tell guys that right away, and i will normally email/call if i get another interested buyer, at least give them a shot

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nothing is sold until ya have the money in hand period everything else is just gab.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EBAY! At least you know it's gonna be shipped...I take the first fawking cash that's in my hand, and the easiest deal with less bullch!t, is always preferred! Gone are days of the word of honor, verbal agreements, and handshake deals... Although if Imdoon' screws me around, I know where he lives HAHAHA Fawk that Imdoon' guy is a shyster:smiliestirthepot:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't tell you how many people have totally committed to buying stuff I've had for sale then you call them the day they are supposed to be there...".ooooh ya i forgot about that I'm at work for a month can you hold it for me????"

I ant no layaway plan for retards! I have a strict first cash first deal policy when it comes to that stuff, if someone tells me he's coming from far away I set a time, a minute past your sol, IMO.

I'd say your lucky the guy told you, b a lot different to find out its sold ringing the door bell!
So ya it's totally BS.... But that unfortunately IS kijiji like it or not!

Audette13

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i agree with most statements, it is bull hit after a verbal agreement, but then i do see if from his shoes, i thanked him for telling me , and i do understand easier sale, friend, etc

it was just a great deal and i was chapped, still on the hunt, next time, ill be hitting the road right after the phone call, lol

and yes kijiji is a strange beast

Last edited by a moderator:

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I was parting out my M1000,I got a PM from a member wanting me to hold onto the sled as he wanted to buy the complete sled but would not be able to pick it up for a week or so.
Long story short he came and looked at it and said nice sled but out of budget.During the time it took him to come look at it I had lots of PM's for parts,I told all people that the sled is sold so sorry.
From now on till I have cash in hand its still for sale....

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i agree with most statements, it is bullch!t after a verbal agreement, but then i do see if from his shoes, i thanked him for telling me , and i do understand easier sale, friend, etc

it was just a great deal and i was chapped, still on the hunt, next time, ill be hitting the road right after the phone call, lol

and yes kijiji is a strange beast

Maybe he woke up with all the intreast and figured out his shocks were under priced! I was thinking to myself if you were driving from Edm to south of Calgary for shocks they must be dame near free! Just keep telling yourself they were probably junk anyway and move on!
kijiji is a beast. It can be down right creepy too!.... But so can S&M !

Audette13

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well said, and it actually worked out well as i had already picked up some narrower a arms for the shocks, i contacted the guy out of the states who i bought the arms from and he was a set of exit's he's gonna sell me for a decent price, better shock anyway

Top Bottom