Keystone XL now in doubt....

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t think the differential Will narrow till later in 19 and only assuming additional pipeline capacity. Till then It’s going to be a year of challenges once again.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I don't understand US politics so bear with me. How did this judge get to make the judgement? Did someone protest and file a writ? Can Trump sign an order to just do it or is that no longer effective with the Congress being controlled by the Democrats? Canada is slowly getting screwed from the big environmental money in the US and we don't have the people with the balls to do anything about it.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't understand US politics so bear with me. How did this judge get to make the judgement? Did someone protest and file a writ? Can Trump sign an order to just do it or is that no longer effective with the Congress being controlled by the Democrats? Canada is slowly getting screwed from the big environmental money in the US and we don't have the people with the balls to do anything about it.

Same as how the judge blocked trans mountain I guess.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lots of Provincial park road pavers and site construction workers, too!

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
only government employees or large unions or wind farm builders/employees or solar panel companies/installers etc...

Yep, take a look at fort macs last byelection results. Sickening actually to see the voter turnout there. The NDP almost got elected there.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a refinery takes a lot of time and money to build but Alberta needs to push for them to be built so we can sell a refined product. Instead of wasting $4.5B for a pipeline that may never be completed that money could have been used for funding some new refineries. But that would entail provincial and federal governments with some vision instead of doing their tiptoe dance with the multi-billion dollar environmental wacko organizations. We shut down a lot of refineries over the years so now we are at the mercy of these people. The last refinery to open in Canada was built 34 years ago. There is something terribly wrong with that.
https://www.oilsandsmagazine.com/projects/canadian-refineries

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny thing is, Notley was running on the platform of building refineries in Alberta. Haven't seen any movement that direction yet.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a refinery takes a lot of time and money to build but Alberta needs to push for them to be built so we can sell a refined product. Instead of wasting $4.5B for a pipeline that may never be completed that money could have been used for funding some new refineries. But that would entail provincial and federal governments with some vision instead of doing their tiptoe dance with the multi-billion dollar environmental wacko organizations. We shut down a lot of refineries over the years so now we are at the mercy of these people. The last refinery to open in Canada was built 34 years ago. There is something terribly wrong with that.
https://www.oilsandsmagazine.com/projects/canadian-refineries

Ummmm the Redwater refinery was recently put online.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does Sturgeon Refinery (Redwater) actually produce for final products? I thought it was more of a glorified upgrader that also makes ULSD diesel, not a true refinery producing gasoline

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
refineries produe gasoline and other fuels beside diesel, I really wouldn't call Redwater a refinery. ESSO, SHELL, SUNCOR are Albertas refineries....

You need rigs working, trucks hauling and construction booming to burn the diesel we can already make in the upgraders. We need more refined fuels in the country so we aren't selling cheap tar oil and buying expensive gasoline.

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
refineries produe gasoline and other fuels beside diesel, I really wouldn't call Redwater a refinery. ESSO, SHELL, SUNCOR are Albertas refineries....

Lol yep its all semantics.

They call themselves a refinery, Im not sure what the second and third stage of the project entails, but I agree I would call it a upgrader right now.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol yep its all semantics.

They call themselves a refinery, Im not sure what the second and third stage of the project entails, but I agree I would call it a upgrader right now.

I have heard they aren't approved for 2nd (another upgrader) and 3rd stages yet either.

Top Bottom