Keystone pipeline looks like it not happening.

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like alberta oil is staying here for a while longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like alberta oil is staying here for a while longer.

Well...this might not be the popular response...but I say, "good". The Yanks still need the end product...so lets get some refineries built and sell them the end products. Construction jobs, refinery jobs, trucking jobs.....for years and years and years...not just until a pipeline is built.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Eventually will find a good and profitable partnership to utilize this key resource.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we have options available.
1 run a pipe to the BC coast and ship the oil to China

2 better option build our own flippin refineries and process the product here for sale to markets outside of Canada and charge a premium rather than selling raw product to the USA and buying it back at a premium

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it is a good thing. We gave America job opportunities, and now they've rejected it. Now it's up to Harper to either refine it here and create more jobs for our citizens or send it to Asia. America had its chance. Like mentioned, they are just as dependent on it as the rest of the world.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Well...this might not be the popular response...but I say, "good". The Yanks still need the end product...so lets get some refineries built and sell them the end products. Construction jobs, refinery jobs, trucking jobs.....for years and years and years...not just until a pipeline is built.
The only problem with that is the "yanks" are BROKE and the chineses are still wealthy...are we going to Finance the oil to the US? Lol but I do see your point and it makes sense.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I use to be all for the pipeline cause I'm on the drilling end of things but I've now changed my mind. Why can't we figure out how to refine our oil for a much less $$$ I understand that is the biggest of many issues. fawk the statesEnbridge is building another 30" pipeline from fort crack rite along their other one to Hardisty so its getting shipped somewhere regardless of keystone. Probably over to Chicago and down

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you think that the Keystone was a challenge wait for the Gateway gong show; which is starting to unfold as we speak.

Billy Boy:cool:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One issue for me was the fact the Keystone was really going to deplete the oil reserves. I'm all for processing this oil but the longer we sit on it ie. sell less volume the more the price will go up. Basic rules of demand and supply.

I am also for processing it further on Canadian soil but that does have its own issues. Refineries are expensive to build and no one wants one in their backyard as well as getting the refineries built will be a major hurdle as long as the refineries on the Gulf have excess processing capacity. Another problem is the fact that refineries tend not be a do it all one stop shop. Raw crude is often more useful for the buyer because they can refine it into what they need ie. plastics vs. gasoline.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if I had it my way I would keep it simple. Cut off all oil imports (we import approx 1/2 our demand) and use it domestically until our friends south of the border beg for it. This way we keep jobs in this country as we are not only producing it but consuming it as well. Unfortunately this is in a fantasy world. Read the following. Looks like good old Brian Boloney made sure we dont have the 100% freedom to do what we want with it via the NAFTA agreement

[h=2]Importing oil from where?[/h]Most Canadians are under the impression that we do not need to worry about our energy security. We see ourselves as a country rich in oil, and we assume that our own resources are available to us for consumption. That assumption is incorrect. Canadians do need to ask where their oil comes from because it doesn’t necessarily come from Canada!
Canada imports more than half of the crude oil it needs. We purchase around 55 per cent of our oil from countries such as Algeria, Saudi Arabia and Venezuela. We are also turning increasingly toward new sources including Russian and African producers. Canadians should question whether we can count on those suppliers for a steady supply of oil.
[h=2]Where are Canadian resources and where do they go?[/h]Not surprisingly, the biggest Canadian producer is the province of Alberta, which accounts for two-thirds of Canada’s production. Saskatchewan is next at roughly 18 per cent, and Newfoundland produces 13 per cent with its off-shore resources. Manitoba, Ontario, British Columbia and the Northwest Territories round out Canadian output with a combined share representing 2.8 per cent of production. However, around 66 per cent of Canada’s oil production is not destined for Canadians. It goes almost exclusively to the United States in the form of exports.
[h=2]What if there is a shortage or crisis?[/h]Can Canada replace the oil it imports with resources from its own territory if our suppliers become unreliable, or if an oil crisis becomes a reality? The answer is a resounding NO! Under NAFTA, we must keep sending the same proportion of our oil to the United States no matter what happens on the world stage. Article 605 of NAFTA only allows us to reduce exports to the U.S. if we cut our domestic supplies by the same proportion. Furthermore, we can’t charge the U.S. a higher price than the one in Canada and we can’t disrupt or restrict the normal channels of supply. What are those normal channels? A huge network of 16,000 km of pipelines sends Canadian oil south, mainly to the American mid-west. At the moment, no pipeline takes Alberta’s oil to eastern Canada.
Without a Canadian Energy Strategy – a strategy that will give Canadians security of their energy supplies, guaranteed access to energy reserves in times of need, and strong policies that protect our environment and focus on finding alternative, less harmful energy solutions – our country will continue to be a victim of an energy gold rush. Politicians cannot let corporations and the market set the agenda, focusing on big business needs, and privatizing public services, while ignoring the energy security needs of Canadians.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The oil sands boom will be over sooner than later if the forcasted oil production has no where to go. Agreed produce products here and ship them out by truck driven by imports to keep costs down. With keystone dead Harper and Redford have some scrambling to do. Like before cut all oilbased transfer payments to all coming from Alberta and what does Canada have left WE are the ecenomic engine of Canada. The governments need to grab some BALLS or LIPS now and push thru to the west and thats the way its going to be or NO more funding to the ones stepping in the way. Take your fish and crabs to the store and by your cars and fuel they need.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Have to agree with everyone here, Regina has a Diesel refinery, what's wrong with just popping out a few more of them and making ourselves thousands of jobs, and millions of more revenue dollars for exporting premium products, not to mention giving us a lower fuel price in the end! Hopefully....

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keystone WILL go thru, AFTER , the next US election. It is quite obvious that Obama is stalling to get the green vote untill (????) /if he get`s re -elected. He puts his OWN job well before anyone else`s apparently..........
I agree it is not a bad idea to refine it here, however let`s get real here : If we can`t build a pipeline to ship it now because of a few natives/treehuggers/hippies/movie stars ,how in the hell will they let us build a refinery ?????? Which will still need a pipeline later on , to be cost efective anyhow........................

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

about friggin time you and i agree on something. man it sure took alot of beers. eh hehe.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keystone WILL go thru, AFTER , the next US election. It is quite obvious that Obama is stalling to get the green vote untill (????) /if he get`s re -elected. He puts his OWN job well before anyone else`s apparently..........
I agree it is not a bad idea to refine it here, however let`s get real here : If we can`t build a pipeline to ship it now because of a few natives/treehuggers/hippies/movie stars ,how in the hell will they let us build a refinery ?????? Which will still need a pipeline later on , to be cost efective anyhow........................

What do you mean "let us"? They can not do a damn thing about it. If these guys had any amount of power we would not be pulling over 700,000 barrels a day out Athabasca.

Top Bottom