Kanedog discovers a Clutching CATastrophy, again. Pics!

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there slop around the bolts on the 911 cover or are the holes machined smaller?
Where did you get the 911 covery from.
Just got new clutch today and same style cover as before.
10 day turnaround on warranty clutch.

I got it direct from Thunder products in the USA. It came pretty quick but I got mine awhile ago.

There is clearance between the bolts and holes, but that isn't the issue. The 911 cover allows the clutch to fully close, not like the stock cover bushing hitting the jam nut. I can't imagine the distortion/stress that is occurring when the clutch is trying to shift out and can't. I think this is what is causing all the cracking.

Last edited:

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
I got it direct from Thunder products in the USA. It came pretty quick but I got mine awhile ago.

There is clearance between the bolts and holes, but that isn't the issue. The 911 cover allows the clutch to fully close, not like the stock cover bushing hitting the jam nut. I can't imagine the distortion/stress that is occurring when the clutch is trying to shift out an can't. I thinks this is what is causing all the cracking.

Good point. There’s a ton of force from all directions on a clutch.

I think the cause is the flimsy stock cover allowing tower flexing first and also spider nut interference on some. It’s hard to figure out what causes it. Some of the clutches don’t have the spider nut interference, some models do but I don’t know what serial numbers do or do not. Either way, it’s pretty sketchy clutchy.

Ez Smoke, the Wikipedia of all things sled might know. If he doesn’t, he will find out soon for us.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point. I think the cause is the flimsy cover allowing tower flexing first and then spider nut interference on some also. It’s hard to figure out what causes it. Some of the clutches don’t have the spider nut interference, some models do but I don’t know what serial numbers do or do not. Either way, it’s pretty sketchy clutchy.

Ez Smoke, the Wikipedia of all things sled might know. If he doesn’t, he will find out soon for us.

I have a 2016 team clutch and a 2019 team roller. Neither clutch can full shift out due to cover contact with the jam nut. There is about 1/16" to 1/32" of an inch gap between the sheaves when the cover makes contact. So full shift cannot be attained, and all that force is going somewhere. Something has to give.

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 team clutch and a 2019 team roller. Neither clutch can full shift out due to cover contact with the jam nut. There is about 1/16" to 1/32" of an inch gap between the sheaves when the cover makes contact. So full shift cannot be attained, and all that force is going somewhere. Something has to give.

Excellent info. I didn’t know the 2016 clutches didn’t close as well. Oh my. The head shaking just keeps coming. How can someone not figure this out at the factory level? So head shaky.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good point. There’s a ton of force from all directions on a clutch.

I think the cause is the flimsy stock cover allowing tower flexing first and also spider nut interference on some. It’s hard to figure out what causes it. Some of the clutches don’t have the spider nut interference, some models do but I don’t know what serial numbers do or do not. Either way, it’s pretty sketchy clutchy.

I do not have the answer for this KDog. I’m no clutching expert, you my friend are the guru on clutching. I am here to learn from your super powers and years of experience. I have to agree with both of you gentlemen on the weak covers causing the flexing of the towers but there has to be more then just a weak cover and flexing of towers to cause all these cracks and catastrophic failures (no pun intended)

I believe the nut interference/clearance issue is the primary cause (no pun intended) but may not necessarily be specific to a certain model number or part number of the clutches. The clutch part numbers do not add up or match to anything. The part numbers are a total conspiracy, and are all just a huge cover up (no pun intended)

It could just be 1 out 10 clutches or more have an interference issue and the bushing is out or was not checked or they have a huge tolerance on the bushing that needs to be tightened up? Either way the problem exists. CAT and Team know about it now, thanks to KaneDog FBI for pointing out the issue.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Clode did you know about this issue before KaneDog pointed it out on your 16’ clutch? Wow this has been going on for 5 years!??

I agree with KD and can’t believe from a factory level they could not figure this out

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clode did you know about this issue before KaneDog pointed it out on your 16’ clutch? Wow this has been going on for 5 years!??

I agree with KD and can’t believe from a factory level they could not figure this out

No I never, all I can say is that my sled would never fully shift out and that is why. The none roller team primary has a little more meat on it where the sliding sheave bushing is. That is maybe why they weren't failing???? Team had to remove a little more material to make room for the roller on the 18 and newer clutch. Maybe that is why the 18 flex more. Just a theory.

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No I never, all I can say is that my sled would never fully shift out and that is why. The none roller team primary has a little more meat on it where the sliding sheave bushing is. That is maybe why they weren't failing???? Team had to remove a little more material to make room for the roller on the 18 and newer clutch. Maybe that is why the 18 flex more. Just a theory.

Great theory, I have to agree makes total sense

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any pics? How many km on it already? I've been checking mine every day. 750ish km today and no issues at all yet.

79ad36fb18cae79dce4526988ba640d2.jpg

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The pic is a repeat but it goes with Jhurkot’s crack pic.

When they drill the balancing hole it ruins the structural integrity of the already weak cover. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that. The pic is their promotional pic, with the balancing hole drilled perfectly to initiate the clutch explosion process.

As if the flimsy cover, flexing towers and spider nut interference aren’t enough to cause failure already. The clutch has no chance to survive.

This is unnecessary risk damage to humans and sleds.

a951ab50471831f6f2ab6468b1eb556d.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom