Kanedog discovers a Clutching CATastrophy, again. Pics!

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I had the little cover cracks like in all the pictures here. Clutch got warrantied. They put a 2019 one on (Aug 2018 build date). I'm choked because it looks like it must have come from the reject pile. Never seen so many balancing drill holes in a cover. It's like swiss cheese. Got to be weakened. Unless all that imbalance resides in the cover (doubtful) it would be trouble to just throw an aftermarket cover on.

2019 Alpha with 2000km.

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
So I had the little cover cracks like in all the pictures here. Clutch got warrantied. They put a 2019 one on (Aug 2018 build date). I'm choked because it looks like it must have come from the reject pile. Never seen so many balancing drill holes in a cover. It's like swiss cheese. Got to be weakened. Unless all that imbalance resides in the cover (doubtful) it would be trouble to just throw an aftermarket cover on.

2019 Alpha with 2000km.

This is great info. If you wouldn’t mind, post a pic of the cover showing the manufacture date. This is pertinent info if they are using products known to fail. They know the products are failing but they keep replacing them with the same thing. It will just fail again. This is the exact point where SHTF legally.

It is possible they are replacing the clutch hoping that it makes it to the end of warranty. Then a claim can be denied and customers have no choice but to fork out $1,000 to Cat/Team for a new clutch. The cost of the warranty work performed will more than be covered by $1,000/pop primary clutches. This is slimy af not to mention using products that Cat knows will fail.

Important for Sledder’s!!! When bringing your sled to the dealer for warranty work, return it to stock as best you can. Any little thing can be cause to deny warranty. Mention this thread to your dealer and Cat if you encounter even a smidgen of warranty resistance but be friendly as best you can. Heck, you can even tell them to PM me here if they need further info. Kanedog has your back!

Still need more pics, more pics. Ask your friends for pics if they haven’t already posted. This thread has tons of pics but more are needed. I’m not a fan of kicking when down but in this case, the more the better. Yeehaw! Let’s get it!

Last edited:

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up to 13 year Snow and Mud member, JMCX. JMCX posted that he is unhappy about the amount of balancing holes on his clutch. An immediate investigation was launched and a startling photo has emerged.

Yes, you’re seeing that.
7d20d15c17132b15d7638126a3a74650.jpg
It’s real. Yes it is folks. Team Industries clutching really did that. The pic don’t lie.

Notice the 180 degrees of big fat holes in the cover. Jiezusss. That cover is now compromised. Its at minimum, 50% weaker. What were they thinking? There has to be an employee sabotaging Team Industries. Team can’t be this dumb, can they?

It’s like when you drill holes in a straight line in metal. The metal will bend inline with those holes. That’s what’s gonna happen with the holey covers. She gonna bend, flex and fatigue until it can’t. Then you know what time it is. Yep, 190 mph flying chunks time.

Something is wonky about that clutch. Possibly the bushing and roller bearing clearances are too great to get a proper balance. It’s off a whole lotta weight at 180degrees to need that much material removed. I have to actually pinch myself to make sure this isn’t a bad dream. I thought this was over but maaaaaaaaan, it just keeps comin! Palm to forehead.

The above are my beliefs.

Last edited:

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here you go. Only slightly better than the above picture. I once had a brand new Polaris and the secondary had 180° of balancing drill holes. I put a WTF post on one of the other forums. I was quietly contacted by a Mr X and told to take that clutch to my dealer for a different one. They do watch the forums.

Resized_20191128_192957_2879.jpg

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here you go. Only slightly better than the above picture. I once had a brand new Polaris and the secondary had 180° of balancing drill holes. I put a WTF post on one of the other forums. I was quietly contacted by a Mr X and told to take that clutch to my dealer for a different one. They do watch the forums.

View attachment 220527
Ya that's crazy if that's a replaced new clutch

How could it ever survive with that much taken off, that cover should have been sent back and better one installed

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

View attachment 220527

Holy smokes... the fact that they’re taking that much out to try and balance it speaks volumes to me of the initial build quality of the parts. Cat should be embarrassed for putting that out. Hopefully there’s some resolve to this issue for you guys soon. Yikes!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up to 13 year Snow and Mud member, JMCX. JMCX posted that he is unhappy about the amount of balancing holes on his clutch. An immediate investigation was launched and a startling photo has emerged.

Yes, you’re seeing that. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191129/7d20d15c17132b15d7638126a3a74650.jpgIt’s real. Yes it is folks. Team Industries clutching really did that. The pic don’t lie.

Notice the 180 degrees of big fat holes in the cover. Jiezusss. That cover is now compromised. Its at minimum, 50% weaker. What were they thinking? There has to be an employee sabotaging Team Industries. Team can’t be this dumb, can they?

It’s like when you drill holes in a straight line in metal. The metal will bend inline with those holes. That’s what’s gonna happen with the holey covers. She gonna bend, flex and fatigue until it can’t. Then you’ll know what time it is. Yep, 190 mph flying chunks time.

Something is wonky about that clutch. Possibly the bushing and roller bearing are too great to get a proper balance. It’s off a whole lotta weight at 180degrees to need that much material removed. I have to actually pinch myself to make sure this isn’t a bad dream. I thought this was over but maaaaaaaaan, it just keeps comin! Palm to forehead.

The above are my beliefs.
Team can't be that dumb? Yes they can. 2007 was the first year that Team built the TRA for Skidoo. What an fn disaster that was. Hey jhurkot….how many belts did you go through that year bud? There was more wrong with those clutches than right and it was only marginally better in 2008 model year.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Team can't be that dumb? Yes they can. 2007 was the first year that Team built the TRA for Skidoo. What an fn disaster that was. Hey jhurkot….how many belts did you go through that year bud? There was more wrong with those clutches than right and it was only marginally better in 2008 model year.

I heard on snow and mud that team were the best:confused:

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Best factory clutching I've ever had to be honest. As long as it holds together. It's not making me warm and fuzzy having a perforated cover though. Some of those holes are deep, a lot of meat taken out.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holy smokes... the fact that they’re taking that much out to try and balance it speaks volumes to me of the initial build quality of the parts. Cat should be embarrassed for putting that out. Hopefully there’s some resolve to this issue for you guys soon. Yikes!

wow, knowing you, you have to be choked with this! I ride with JMCX alot and his equipment is meticulously maintained. that's bullchit! don't worry, the doo riders in group will get you out if she blows... guess there is the one polaris still though that won't rub salt in the wound as much....yes, I know, mine was on the end of a rope before too before you remind me.

Last edited:

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

2019 Alpha with 2000km.

You might not be far off when you said it came from the reject pile. The new clutches I have seen have a serial number on the clutch cover. Your clutch does not have one. Does that mean it’s an old model of clutch? I’m gonna feed the dog and head out to the Kanedog bat cave of clutching to initiate a clutch cover cereal number investigation.

What date was this clutch supplied to you?

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

View attachment 220527

You might not be far off when you said it came from the reject pile. The new clutches I have seen have a serial number on the clutch cover. Your clutch does not have one. This could mean it’s an old clutch. I’m gonna feed the dog and head to the Kanedog bat cave of clutching to obtain some photographic clutch cover cereal number evidence.

What date was this clutch supplied to you?
That date says Aug 24, 2018

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Part number only changed by one digit, sneaky.

I don't believe you could ever just order a new cover......

18d505ab3061e1fb9d8499788cd24521.jpg
0884639a1a1df8cb34d607500dafd79d.jpg

Last edited:

E-Zmoke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Part number only changed by one digit, sneaky.

I don't believe you could ever just order a new cover......

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191129/18d505ab3061e1fb9d8499788cd24521.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191129/0884639a1a1df8cb34d607500dafd79d.jpg

That’s correct you can’t order just the cover from cat on both the previous clutch and the newly designed 2020 clutch...you could order the spider on the 18-19 clutch. However the spider is not available to order by itself on the 2020 clutch

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s correct you can’t order just the cover from cat on both the previous clutch and the newly designed 2020 clutch...you could order the spider on the 18-19 clutch. However the spider is not available to order by itself on the 2020 clutch
I'm not seeing a part number for the 18-19 cover either.
Did they just remove it?

Top Bottom