Kakwa snow conditions

Canuck 1

Reaction score
I was in on the 11, 12, 13 ,th. rode the McBride road from the cabin down to the bottom of Sir Mt Alex. and had a hoot. We stayed away from the steep stuff. It snowed about a foot but it was very warm out ( O - +4 )
Road in was good as well as the trail into the cabin.We were playing in about 2 - 2.5 ft. of powder.

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
***KAKWA CONDITION UPDATE***
We were in on the 19th... It was -31 in the parking lot and -24 at the cabin, we were going to turn around and head out when buddy said he wanted to head up to Babett and pull a couple hills to test some clutching changes. Once we were up there it warmed up to -12. It was crazy. The snow was great, the snow depth in the meadow at Babett was 295 cm.

***KAKWA CABIN GARBAGE UPDATE***
We stopped at the cabin and I noticed a half empty bottle of water left behind, and that was it. The water in the bottle was frozen (for those who care)

Attachments

• GOPR0351.jpg
    GOPR0351.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 305

iqrpoo

Reaction score
Hey fellas, first post here....I finally made the jump from snowest.;)

I was in Kakwa from the walker side from the 17th til the 22nd, snow conditions were epic to say the least. Super deep untouched. Total bluebird (but cold!!) days for the entire tour til we came out on monday. Sorry to say I did not see the conditions anywhere other than the saddle creek/mt. sir a area as we spent the whole tour there.
We spent most of the friday busting trail into saddle creek and it was totally worth it (my apologies if you were one of the crews from alta that followed our trail on the weekend, it was my first time there in about 6 years so there was some definate wrong turns lol)
Unfortunately my scooter melted a piston on the second morning so I sat at the b.c. cabin for the rest of the tour.

iqrpoo

Reaction score
O.K., so that was the first post, so here's the second one. I wanted to clarify a few things on this thread. You've had my snow report and I didn't see anywhere else to post this stuff so it's going here.
I was one of the group of 3 b.c.riders who were at the kakwa lake cabin and saw the gigantic mess left there somtime around christmas. Whoever left the mess was without a doubt from grand prairie. There was grand prairie garbage wrappers and a grand prairie calendar mixed in with all the crap left there.
Yamadoopolcat was not there but I do know him and he saw the pics we took. He is a VEEEERRRY active member of our local (p.g.) club and is a very loud voice in the battle to keep our areas open for both b.c. and alta riders to enjoy. I think it is wrong for anyone to say "it was this group" or "it was that group" who left the mess, but I was there and it was udeniable they were from G.P.
The riders who come in from Prince George all know each other, and we all know who is in there at any time from p.g., as we have a very strict "p.g. snomobile club only" allowed to stay at our cabin outside of the park.
We obviously do not however have the ability to know every single person who decides to try to make a day trip in on the walker creek road, but these don't happen very often, it's a long freakin way to try to do a day trip on the walker.
I'm not saying albertans are any worse than b.c. boys here, there's arseholes in every province. But I know that someone on this forum knows who was staying at kakwa lake at christmas and you would do well to discourage them from pooping in the area we all love!

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your concern for our riding area is certainly appreciated. The Grande Prairie club has been very vocal towards the authorities and their members and , as much as possible, the day riders. The GP club has been lucky enough to have the right to have the permanent camps in the Kakwa region for a number of years, and over that time have been picking up garbage, helping maintain the trails and the cabins, helping to enforce the no-go zones and trying to promote the sport and the right to continue the riding privleges in the future. In the past there hasn't been much of a need to differentiate between BC and Alta riders as to who did what when and where. Seems to be counter productive to beat it to death on thispublic 4m, but I guess things change.
If I see a wrapper or envelope with evidence of BC ownership, we'll immediately send it back and make you aware of it. I don't believe if u BC fellas come onto the trails or the camps on the Alta side that we'll be locking the outhouses or asking for proof of Alta residency, but hey, thats just the way we are eh. I sorta think we're in it together.

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
O.K., so that was the first post, so here's the second one. I wanted to clarify a few things on this thread. You've had my snow report and I didn't see anywhere else to post this stuff so it's going here.
I was one of the group of 3 b.c.riders who were at the kakwa lake cabin and saw the gigantic mess left there somtime around christmas. Whoever left the mess was without a doubt from grand prairie. There was grand prairie garbage wrappers and a grand prairie calendar mixed in with all the crap left there.
Yamadoopolcat was not there but I do know him and he saw the pics we took. He is a VEEEERRRY active member of our local (p.g.) club and is a very loud voice in the battle to keep our areas open for both b.c. and alta riders to enjoy. I think it is wrong for anyone to say "it was this group" or "it was that group" who left the mess, but I was there and it was udeniable they were from G.P.
The riders who come in from Prince George all know each other, and we all know who is in there at any time from p.g., as we have a very strict "p.g. snomobile club only" allowed to stay at our cabin outside of the park.
We obviously do not however have the ability to know every single person who decides to try to make a day trip in on the walker creek road, but these don't happen very often, it's a long freakin way to try to do a day trip on the walker.
I'm not saying albertans are any worse than b.c. boys here, there's arseholes in every province. But I know that someone on this forum knows who was staying at kakwa lake at christmas and you would do well to discourage them from pooping in the area we all love!

I think this is very well said... Everyone knows there are arseholes everywhere.

I have nothing against the post at christmas time pointing out the fact that garbage was left behind, it's a good reminder to all of us. However to make a post in every single different topic/thread available on this forum is a bit much. Then I get an email from my snowmobile club that was sent on behalf of Rick Roos stating about the garbage left at the Kakwa Cabin... Holy crap!!!! how does he know how much garbage was left behind?, was his people there?, or did someone phone/email him and complain?... I ask myself, what good could possibly come from notifying Mr. Roos of garbage left behind at the Cabin???. I still looking for an answer.

I make sure that I check for Garbage every time I stop at the cabin, and then I post my findings on here in hopes that whoever has contact with Mr. Roos can pass along my updates and let him know that yes, the cabin is kept clean way more often than some jerks leave it dirty, where ever they may be from.

P.S. I think the horse is dead

YamaDoo PolCat

Reaction score
I think this is very well said... Everyone knows there are arseholes everywhere.

I have nothing against the post at christmas time pointing out the fact that garbage was left behind, it's a good reminder to all of us. However to make a post in every single different topic/thread available on this forum is a bit much. Then I get an email from my snowmobile club that was sent on behalf of Rick Roos stating about the garbage left at the Kakwa Cabin... Holy crap!!!! how does he know how much garbage was left behind?, was his people there?, or did someone phone/email him and complain?... I ask myself, what good could possibly come from notifying Mr. Roos of garbage left behind at the Cabin???. I still looking for an answer.

I make sure that I check for Garbage every time I stop at the cabin, and then I post my findings on here in hopes that whoever has contact with Mr. Roos can pass along my updates and let him know that yes, the cabin is kept clean way more often than some jerks leave it dirty, where ever they may be from.

P.S. I think the horse is dead

Thanks for your understanding Fatguy. You are right this is a public forum, and Mr. Roos can read it as well.
The pressure never lets up to get snowmobiles out of Kakwa Park, and there are no shortage of people that will make that case to Mr. Roos on a regular basis. Kakwa Park is up for the five year management review, and I'll be there (on your behalf as well), but it would be much easier if I don't have to answer for the garbage and spring clean up at the Kakwa Cabin.
I want the snowmobiling area in Kakwa expanded to include areas we used to ride. I don't want to be talking to Roos about snowmobilers being irresponsible garbage tossing, tree cutting, destroyers.
We have been lucky enough in PG to have some aviator friends that go to the Kakwa cabin in the spring and pick the area clean, so could you guys in GP lean on some of the aircraft owners in Alta to look into a garbage run as well? We all know stuff gets lost in the snow, and that is the stuff we want to get, not a bunch of garbage left on the cabin floor, that's just plain rude!
Thanks guys.

YamaDoo PolCat

Reaction score
Stopped into the Kakwa Cabin on Thursday night. The cabin was spotless. I like!

Lots of snow, the park was like a walk in the park - lots of the usual holes are filled right in. Should be good spring riding this year.

Saw about 25 riders at Stuck Hill coming back from Sir A.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got home from four days of riding, found some good snow, lots of sun and a heavily pounded trail that was worth riding for the conditions after the lake. Monday there were spots in paradise with up to a foot of fresh and the wall was 1-1.5 fresh, met up with some long time kakwa riders and had the best riding I've ever had:beer:

Top Bottom