Kakwa snow conditions

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could we please get back on topic. I hate that people wreck things for the rest of us too but would like to hear about the conditions and this is beating a dead horse. sorry .......but come on this is not changing it.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could we please get back on topic. I hate that people wreck things for the rest of us too but would like to hear about the conditions and this is beating a dead horse. sorry .......but come on this is not changing it.

Sometimes different threads go that way. If its not what you're looking to read then don't read it.:d

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I would have to agree with Riverjet.....this DID start out as a thread on Kakwa snow conditions but some azzhats took it upon themselves to leave garbage in the BC Parks cabin, thus threatening everyone's right (yes, you and me) to sled there.

For the people working hard for our snowmobile clubs to keep areas open.....this is like beating a dead horse.

It doesn't really matter what the conditions are like at the Kakwa if the area gets SHUT DOWN. :mad::mad::mad:

darkday

Reaction score

Well i agree with thunder44, if you have a problem with garbage at the cabin then start a new thread with your concerns. I dont go to a thread called kakwa conditions to hear about garbage at the cabin. It's called thread hijacking and this discussion is more of the same!!!:mad:

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I would have to agree with Riverjet.....this DID start out as a thread on Kakwa snow conditions but some azzhats took it upon themselves to leave garbage in the BC Parks cabin, thus threatening everyone's right (yes, you and me) to sled there.

For the people working hard for our snowmobile clubs to keep areas open.....this is like beating a dead horse.

It doesn't really matter what the conditions are like at the Kakwa if the area gets SHUT DOWN. :mad::mad::mad:

Try steppin down from your soap box once and awhile and you might read this in a different light.
I agree with all of you wanting the area to stay open and yes we all know that if things don't change , it will close areas. Believe me you are NOT the only ones that clean up after people!!!

You can make a sticky and go on all the rants you want but this one was started so that we could check conditions!!!!

HMMMMMMMM and you make sound like you might be the only ones working to keep areas open. One never knows who they are talking to on the internet. There are alot of silent people out there doing alot of work to keep areas open so can keep riding them.

YamaDoo PolCat

Reaction score
Try steppin down from your soap box once and awhile and you might read this in a different light.
I agree with all of you wanting the area to stay open and yes we all know that if things don't change , it will close areas. Believe me you are NOT the only ones that clean up after people!!!

You can make a sticky and go on all the rants you want but this one was started so that we could check conditions!!!!

Not this sticky? So, to be clear you do not want to read that there was an extremely bad condition happening in Kakwa Park that might close down the park? You just want to know how much snow is there? When you ask about snow conditions in Kakwa people assume you are asking about the riding conditions, no?

Well the riding conditions are good, so far. Next year might be different though, and it won't be the snow you will be asking about.

And much thanks to the silent ones that are quietly doing their part, like picking up after people that make snow condition bad.

dumbassracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so what are the snow conditions like? i could careless about what your guys opinions are about the garbage. i live in bc and i know most of the pg guys up there riding wouldnt clean up any garbage because of how far you got to haul it back out and it seams you guys are the only ones bitchen about it.so if you want to bitch start a new thead ,and let the guys who ride all day and not sit in the cabin ,know what the snow conditions are. sorry for the rant.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so what are the snow conditions like? i could careless about what your guys opinions are about the garbage. i live in bc and i know most of the pg guys up there riding wouldnt clean up any garbage because of how far you got to haul it back out and it seams you guys are the only ones bitchen about it.so if you want to bitch start a new thead ,and let the guys who ride all day and not sit in the cabin ,know what the snow conditions are. sorry for the rant.

You could care less about what someones opinion is about the garbage, spread BS stories about people from PG that ride there and expect to get your question answered about snow conditions? Anyone ever tell you what you can do with your hat? Maybe your friends from PG are like that. Usually people bitchin about a problem aren't the morons that created it. You know Jack!

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The SNOW conditions are good as are most places that got hit with that big dump of snow, I think there was more snow there last year at this time, however right now the powder is sick. It had this fatguy played out in no time.

I never did stop at the cabin to check the GARBAGE conditions, I know that what I took in also came out with me...:d

highlandrider

Reaction score
Just got back from Kakwa yesterday and the snow is very hard packed after this heat wave we got last week. There is some powder to be found mostly higher up and in the trees, we found enough powder to have fun for the day. There was also some very big avalaches, one was big enough to cover a very large meadow at the top of cecila lake, (into broadview i believe), it went across the meadow and took out the trees on the far side.
Here is a picture on one that slid into cecila lake.

Attachments

• 100_0994.jpg
    100_0994.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 736

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, that was a large slide!

We were in kakwa yesterday, real icy trail, had overheating troubles going in and out. (will be buying scratchers this week)

Stopped at the cabin to get the GARBAGE update...

***This just in, in the morning 1 half empty bottle of water was left behind, however when we stopped at the cabin on the way out in was gone...:eek:***

Scotford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI on Avy activity in Kakwa

Observations for North Rockies (Kakwa) January 22nd ( 2011-01-23)

Numerous loose snow and slab avalanches observed ranging from Size 1 to 3. These avalanches were observed on North and South Aspects.

The Kakwa Lake area: On south aspects slab avalanches were observed with several hundred metre wide propagations, runouts up to 1,000 metres in length..

In the Babett Lake area: Avalanches and sluffing from Rock Bands in the High Alpine down onto slopes were noted on Northern Lee Aspects. A 2 metre crown fracture was observed on a North facing slope and Extreme Winds in the Alpine were also observed.

In the Cecillia Lake area: An East facing slope had slid and run beyond its traditional path, damaging approx 10 acres of forest.

La Glace Lake area : A North facing slope slid and kept to its traditional but went full path. The avalanche struck the ice surface on the Lake and broke apart the Ice surface.

The high wind and snow transport that took place on Saturday was the first time I have observed Wind effect in this area. Cornice formation, wind scoured ridges and cross loaded slopes in the Lee all took place on Saturday. Lee aspects have certainly gained a large amount of snow. Wind scoured areas left the surface of the snow in large fetch areas with a thick Styrofoam like feel to the snow surface. Friday evening had deposited 15 cms of snow with potentially more in the Alpine, this and previous storm snow could have accounted for all the snow transport.

Rocky Mountain Rider

Reaction score
Sometimes different threads go that way. If its not what you're looking to read then don't read it.:d

Better yet, start a different thread where you can leave your garbage and leave this one on topic!. Read the topic of this thread, I think it says "Kakwa snow conditions".

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Better yet, start a different thread where you can leave your garbage and leave this one on topic!. Read the topic of this thread, I think it says "Kakwa snow conditions".

Why are you insisting on keeping it going off topic then ya dope! The last time anything was mentioned about garbage was two weeks ago!

Frikken Duh!!!

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Moving on....Hows the conditions in Kakwa? Heard Stetson is icy as hell and same with the parking lot. They were talking about tire chains icy...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Moving on....Hows the conditions in Kakwa? Heard Stetson is icy as hell and same with the parking lot. They were talking about tire chains icy...
seriously dude? you are sitting in St.Lucia, no doubt with an umbrella drink in your hand enjoying 30c temps, watching the chicks in bikinis by the pool and you're here checking Kakwa conditions?? you my friend, are a die hard....:beer:

tmcmillan

Reaction score
Just returned from an AST 2 course in the Kakwa Feb 4-7.
We toured through Babette, La Glace, Flat Top, and Surprise Pass.

On Friday Feb 4 the temperatures rose and formed a rain crust that could be found up to 1600 meters in tree line areas. 30 cm new snow fell on top of this crust and another 20 cm of low density dry snow fell Sunday night. Lots of wind effect could be seen in the alpine and in open areas on Mondays ride.

A natural avalanche cycle started on Friday and into Staurday on all aspects and elevations up to size 2.5. During this cycle there was evidence of slab avalanches stepping down to the early season facet layers.

In our snow pits and stability tests we found easy resistance shears down 37cm where the Feb 4 rain crust was found and a moderate shear down 70 cm on a thick 4cm crust. A very strong mid pack is supporting a base layer of well preserved and weak facet crystals.

Areas to avoid this season will be thin and shallow rocky spots where the possibility of triggering a slab from the base layer facets could propagate into a very large avalanche. Take time to probe and feel the snow for crust and facet layers, get an idea where the fat snow is and ride in those areas.

Top Bottom