Just bought a new to me 2009 Polaris RMK 700 with 64 original miles

jarodallen

Reaction score
Hello,

New member here long time lurker. I just bought a sled so I guess its time to start taking advantage of the collective wisdom around here. I have purchased a very low mileage essentially new Polaris RMK 700 (2009 model yr) it has 64 original miles. The machine looks new, smells new and starts and runs like new. I have no idea how it was stored over the last say five years so I am going to assume that it wasn't put away properly. What would everyone one suggest I do or have a dealership do to ensure that the machine is now getting the love and attention it now deserves. I am fairly mechanically inclined although I stick to surface stuff for the most part. I haven't done any rebuilds etc etc. Just looking for some good advice.

Thanks

Jarod

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would prime the oil pump. Open the bleed screw to make sure oil is flowing. Then prime the lines.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Welcome to S&M. Great find BTW.

If, like you say, it starts and runs like new. I would syphon out the gas and replace with new gas. Put a few miles on it and see if there are any glitches or hick-ups (bogging or hesitations) and then if you take it a dealer you have a better idea what to suggest he look at. The belt may need replacing due to sitting for that long a period but that you would find out on the first ride. I'm not the mechanical guru and I am sure you will get looks of good information. Enjoy the new ride and the forum.:D

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to S&M. Great find BTW.

If, like you say, it starts and runs like new. I would syphon out the gas and replace with new gas. Put a few miles on it and see if there are any glitches or hick-ups (bogging or hesitations) and then if you take it a dealer you have a better idea what to suggest he look at. The belt may need replacing due to sitting for that long a period but that you would find out on the first ride. I'm not the mechanical guru and I am sure you will get looks of good information. Enjoy the new ride and the forum.:D

Yeah, check the belt and also the track, if it wasn't rotated every now and then and was sitting on the ground then it could have a couple bad spots or might have some flat spots where it sat on the idlers. Its highly unlikely but just something to check on. Change the coolant as the pH will likely have changed over the past few years from sitting in the aluminum block, change the oil in the chaincase as it may have collected moisture.

As FS said, drain the fuel, keeping in mind that although the sled is 5 yrs old, technically that motor is still not broken in so its probably worth mixing a little more oil in the gas (I don't know what Polaris required for the break in on these sleds but someone here surely will). You will not be able to go full throttle for a little while yet either.

Otherwise as Vance said, check the oil and give everything a good greasing, then take it for a little rip to put some easy miles on and see if anything pops up. Again, probably not going to have much go wrong. Check the pressure in the shocks, they will come down over time whether its ridden or not.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good find. Friend of mine had one and he sh%$bagged it everywhere he went and it kept runnin good. Best of luck.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
after you drain the old gas replace the fuel filter the inside will be ruined and if you run it with new gas all the insides of the filter will plug up your injectors

jarodallen

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I will do what you have recommended and try to keep in mind that I need to follow break-in procedure for a while. I couldn't really afford to buy new this time around and I figured a nearly new 2009 RMK 700 would be a huge step up from the last sled I owned in the 90's. I picked up an Arctic Cat Powder Special 600 brand new in 1998 and loved it, but I am guessing the RMK will be a little bit different. I did quite a bit of research on the web and it seems the general opinion on the 700 is that it is a great near bulletproof machine (same as you guys are telling me). I know it is likely looking a bit old in the tooth compared to the new polaris pro but I really wanted something reliable for my money. I look forward to updating the this thread once I have some seat time on it.

Polar_RMK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
700cc are the best engine ever build by Polaris.
Do you have any pic? would be interesting to see your beast

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some good advice so far I would be sure to grease all the nipples on the skid and take the skiis off and grease the bushings and bolts holding them on. Might also want to clean both clutches, and replace both springs.

Last edited:

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your driving that in the steep and deep, i would suggest gearing down and looking for a 155 take off pro skid. I had an 08 700 with 5000 miles on it when i sold it. Got a little tired that last year, should have rebuilt it cause i replaced everything trying to find the low max rpm. New owner rebuilt it and i guess top rpm came right back.

Top Bottom