January Snow Conditions

Poleman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
New year and time for the new thread and hopefully some new snow!!

albinorhino69

Reaction score
looking to take some inexperienced riders with me up to the mountains. trying to decide between McBride or Valemount. Has anyone been up lately that was able to find some good snow? I hear Renshaw is tracked out. What about Lucille or Bell?

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rensaw is tracked out my a$$. It's the biggest zone in BC. I rode 160km there one day, and we could have went more but ran out of gas. We were riding bowls that didn't even have a sled track that we could see.

Last edited by a moderator:

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rensaw is tracked out my ass. It's the biggest zone in BC. I rode 160km there one day, and we could have went more but ran out of gas. We were riding bowls that didn't even have a sled track that we could see.
But what do you have to go through to get to it? That can get pretty hairy with inexperienced riders.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't recall anything at rensaw being too intense when heading back. Allen creek is worse, some big climbs to go up and down.

Id be more worried about getting lost at rensaw than anything.

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah I'm kinda of in the same situation with the new riders. I'm hoping they catch on quick enough that I can take them behind the saddle the second day. One can only hope lol.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looking to take some inexperienced riders with me up to the mountains. trying to decide between McBride or Valemount. Has anyone been up lately that was able to find some good snow? I hear Renshaw is tracked out. What about Lucille or Bell?
We were at Lucille yesterday and it's pretty tracked out. We're were with a group of cherries so we didn't venture into the Butterfly but I could see that there were tracks there too

albinorhino69

Reaction score
I don't recall anything at rensaw being too intense when heading back. Allen creek is worse, some big climbs to go up and down.

Id be more worried about getting lost at rensaw than anything.

I've been to Renshaw plenty of times, not worried about getting lost, just worried about getting the newbies over the saddle if the snow on the front side is tracked out

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Allen creek is way harder riding than rensaw, those climbs to go back, we brought a newb, he bailed off his sled coming down one that was tracked out, sled went into a tree.

There is that opposite side of the saddle way into the back of rensaw, we took it out once, it seemed way easier than the saddle, I forget exactly where it came out though.

That big sidehill into the saddle can be challenging. Might be easier to head down then shoot up over the saddle.

albinorhino69

Reaction score
Allen creek is way harder riding than rensaw, those climbs to go back, we brought a newb, he bailed off his sled coming down one that was tracked out, sled went into a tree.

There is that opposite side of the saddle way into the back of rensaw, we took it out once, it seemed way easier than the saddle, I forget exactly where it came out though.

That big sidehill into the saddle can be challenging. Might be easier to head down then shoot up over the saddle.

Yea I know which route you are talking about. I've taken it out before. Saves having to go all the way back to the saddle. I guess it all depends on the snow. If its tracked out to the back it should be fairly easy to get to the back. Thanks for the input guys.

Second Question. Places to stay. I've always stayed at the little log cabins just before you enter McBride. Cant remember the name. Does anyone know which ones I'm talking about. NV Mountainview maybe?

Ewaschuk

Reaction score
Rode renshaw today and yesterday. A lot better than we were expecting. Found tons of untouch snow. just have to ride to get it

dustrg1128

Reaction score
Has anybody been in horsey creek? Is there enough snow to get up top?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Renshaw yesterday and front and back are tracked out pretty good but there is lots of untouched at Spirit Lake. Took two first time riders with us and they had no issues, but they are pretty good flat landers. Dropped into the back side of Pyramid but way to rocky back there yet so we came out and went east towards Albeta border. Most of the bush untouched the further east you go. Nobody has made a track on the west rige heading to Morkil yet either heading past Pyramid.
Renshaw is far from out of untouched snow but it is really low for this time of year, lowest I have seen in the 14 years I have been riding there. Excellent base and 6-8" loose on top but some open areas a bit wind swept at Spirit area but way better than I excted since it has not seen much snow for a while.
For those afraid of a few ruts to get to Spirit - you can always pull out a couple shovels and fill in the ruts or go around them a couple feet - there is room. Four guys could fill the ruts in at each location in about an hour.
Our group of four made friends with many many many rocks but damaged nothing - mostly due to the dense base.
Had excellent sunny calm days and the two newbies got a lot of excellent views and got to see a good portion of Renshaw - depending on rider between 160-175km ride.

Rode Lucille first day and unless you drop into butterfly or larva to play in the rocks it is beat to death a couple times over. Good luck finding an untouched flake.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cat401 has the pictures, he may post later.......can't believe I put two cats in my new trailer!!!

Haha....was great time riding with you and your son.

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A group of 8 of us tried horsey creek needs more snow or a smaller group the creek is running hard.....way more snow needed

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Renshaw yesterday and front and back are tracked out pretty good but there is lots of untouched at Spirit Lake. Took two first time riders with us and they had no issues, but they are pretty good flat landers. Dropped into the back side of Pyramid but way to rocky back there yet so we came out and went east towards Albeta border. Most of the bush untouched the further east you go. Nobody has made a track on the west rige heading to Morkil yet either heading past Pyramid.
Renshaw is far from out of untouched snow but it is really low for this time of year, lowest I have seen in the 14 years I have been riding there. Excellent base and 6-8" loose on top but some open areas a bit wind swept at Spirit area but way better than I excted since it has not seen much snow for a while.
For those afraid of a few ruts to get to Spirit - you can always pull out a couple shovels and fill in the ruts or go around them a couple feet - there is room. Four guys could fill the ruts in at each location in about an hour.
Our group of four made friends with many many many rocks but damaged nothing - mostly due to the dense base.
Had excellent sunny calm days and the two newbies got a lot of excellent views and got to see a good portion of Renshaw - depending on rider between 160-175km ride.

Rode Lucille first day and unless you drop into butterfly or larva to play in the rocks it is beat to death a couple times over. Good luck finding an untouched flake.

ya we rode Renshaw yesterday as well. didn't go to the back side as we had some green riders and kids with us. We did managed to find some untouched to play in. Like you said though, pretty low snow for this time of year. Trail in was in excellent condition. That's Hot Rod for and excellent job of grooming

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
had a bit in town on wed nite. have not heard about up top as of this am.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Well, we rode Renshaw today and they really!, really! need a reload. I was in the areas I visited 2 weeks ago to find my tracks. Very tracked out in many of the areas, we found a an area approximately 30 X 50 that only had one tracked I joked to my buddy to have fun, this is the most pow he will see all day. Heard there is snow in the forecast for next week. There didn't look to be much more than 50 peeps there today. Trail was great going both ways.
Heading to Valemount tomorrow,just to show him around there. Not really expecting anything different. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452395648.980082.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452395663.757404.jpg
Dean was having some issues trying to stay on his sled. lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom