Its spooky out there

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind. I copied this from elswhere. This happened just east of Revy.

Be very careful out there. A size 4.5 natural ran across the third snowshed between Albert Canyon and the Pass this morning. I was told the air blast flattened 30 acres of mature forest (150 foot trees).

To quote the Mountain Conditions Report-

"I just came out of the field and am working in the CAC Public Avalanche Warning Service office this week. Today we received several reports of unexpected, unusual, large, and destructive avalanches that ran in the last 24 hours. These occurred after major precipitation and winds had ended and as/after temperatures cooled off. Several size 3 – 3.5 and one size 4.5 that dammed the Illecillewaet River east of Revelstoke:

We are not yet certain about what is causing these avalanches and whether this kind of activity is likely to continue. However, it might be wise to be wary for the next few days until we see if this is a short term problem or something that might be longer lived. If/when we figure out what’s happening we’ll put information and advice in the CAC avalanche forecasts at: Latest Bulletins : Bulletins : Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca

I must stress that several of these avalanches surprised professionals, some of whom are very senior practitioners with many, many years of experience.

Stay safe out there.

Karl Klassen
Mountain Guide
Revelstoke, BC"

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our crew is planning to head to McBride on the 27th weekend. Hopefully everything has settled down by then. Be safe out there peeps. :beerchug:

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I'm planning to go out this weekend but if natural avys like that are coming down it kinda makes a guy want to stay home and wait until things settle down a bit.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to head out this weekend too, but the wife and mother said stay home. Probably not a bad idea.

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a few photos from the caa web site and some vid of a slide at Retallic south of Nakusp
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24frHA7SSdM&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Attachments

• DSCN4614[1].jpg
    DSCN4614[1].jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCN4615[1].jpg
    DSCN4615[1].jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 215
  • Na_Sz_4_West_Lanark_110118_004[1].jpg
    Na_Sz_4_West_Lanark_110118_004[1].jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Na_Sz_4_West_Lanark_110118_031[1].jpg
    Na_Sz_4_West_Lanark_110118_031[1].jpg