Is vehicle insurance/reg cheaper in BC??

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Lately I've noticed a drastic increase in the amount of BC license plates working in the Alberta oil patch. :confused: Is this due to people getting a BC post office box and registering and insuring their vehicles because it's cheaper or...???

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BC is expensive for ins/reg, its a one stop shop. No shoppin around there :/ I was paying the same as I was when I was 16 when I was back in "Bring Cash"

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My rates are cheaper than Alberta and cheaper than SGI. But that is with no tickets, no accidents, and generous discounts. My basic insurance is with ICBC and the package policy is with CD. The package policy with CD saves me hundreds over ICBC's price.

beaker

Reaction score
in BC it costs me $110 a month to insure my 02 supder duty diesel with full coverage.my 04 viper is $210 a month.The amount of tickets you have does not determine your insurance rate in BC.I have 5 speeding tickets last year and I have the best rate you can get.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ICBC are rapists without lube

That's because it's a crown coporation... Crown Coporation means run like a private company but still government so they can justify huge buy outs and severance pay... BS!!! all crooks... BC needs cash to pay for their NDP ideals!!!!! I use to live in Vancouver area... on top of the 15c/l extra I paid for gas ( for BC transit) and 550 per year for BC transit on my property taxes... I then paid 2200 per year to insure a 2002 dodge 4x4... no accidents best rate i could get... same truck in alberta with house insurence including content 1800/year... f**K BC! who the heck gives the "transit authority the right to raise taxes anyhow??? sorry now im ranting as I am still angry as F***.

GYMBRAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's because it's a crown coporation... Crown Coporation means run like a private company but still government so they can justify huge buy outs and severance pay... BS!!! all crooks... BC needs cash to pay for their NDP ideals!!!!! I use to live in Vancouver area... on top of the 15c/l extra I paid for gas ( for BC transit) and 550 per year for BC transit on my property taxes... I then paid 2200 per year to insure a 2002 dodge 4x4... no accidents best rate i could get... same truck in alberta with house insurence including content 1800/year... f**K BC! who the heck gives the "transit authority the right to raise taxes anyhow??? sorry now im ranting as I am still angry as F***.

LOL, you are absolutely 110% correct though, and the ferry fees, NOW thats a whole new can of worms I have an issue with WTF!!!!

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody with 5 speeding tickets in BC and think they are not going to pay more are in for a big shock.... your dam rights your going to pay more...a lot more. $2160.00 to be exact, just for your dam points.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL, you are absolutely 110% correct though, and the ferry fees, NOW thats a whole new can of worms I have an issue with WTF!!!!

lol... don't get me started... im all worked up now... i needed a happy ending so I read the post about the guy who shot the home invader and was found not guilty in court... ahhhh finnally maybe we still can save our great country

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I lived in BC my insurance never went up because of tickets. Only when I moved to Alberta was there a charge because of tickets. That was 20 years ago when I was in B(ring) C(ash)

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You lose your discount when you have accidents...you know...bad driving. If you have no accidents you get your safe driving discount. 3 points can be issued for driving too slow. They will pull your licence if you get too many points.

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't it really expensive in Alberta if you are male and under a certain age (25?)? I was going to school in Edmonton 98-2001 and it wasn't even worth having me on the insurance. I think it was like $3k or something...and i have a clean driving record. It was cheaper to just do it in the GF's name.

Currently I pay $1500 a year for a 07.5 dmax...what do you guys pay for that vehicle. I believe I'm at full discounts and insured for business and personal.

So if you are male and under the age it would be cheaper to ins in BC unless something changed since i left.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah Alberta is not expensive for insurance. I just renewed my 05 GMC's insurance and it was $1114.... That's commercial insurance rated for artisan use with 5 million liablility and of course full coverage on the truck itself. Registered under my name or now my company name made no change in that rate either. I am sure most of you pay more than that for regular joe blow coverage. My '10 Nissan Titan is around $800 a year for full coverage. Neither have any money owing on them which is always the first thing they ask when you go to insure something different. That would have an influence as well I would imagine.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure in BC it's way cheaper for the under 25 male drivers as long as their driving record is clean, but more expensive for the older crew in BC. ICBC is absolutely a top notch insurer unlike other companies who "cut corners" to save money. I used to work in the industry and I can say many many shops in Canada wouldn't stand a chance at being accredited by ICBC.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure in BC it's way cheaper for the under 25 male drivers as long as their driving record is clean, but more expensive for the older crew in BC. ICBC is absolutely a top notch insurer unlike other companies who "cut corners" to save money. I used to work in the industry and I can say many many shops in Canada wouldn't stand a chance at being accredited by ICBC.
That's how I understand it too. ICBC is a good insurer but the top heavy management needs to go and they need to go back to being zero income like they were designed to be. That would probably halve insurance rates here.

Top Bottom