Is this our future?

raven-lunatic

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sad is right. Ron LaRoy could confirm this but I believe the average age at our wood gathering work parties in Revelstoke the last number of years has been over 60.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This story is so true. Here in Alberta we are close to being volunteer burn out. For years the same 10 have been doing all the work and organizing for all the riders to enjoy. You ask for helpers and some show up but don't get involved after that. Some clubs do better than others but it takes a few years of help to make much change. Some stick around others lose interest and end their help. Another issue is I think we are being hurt by being so close to the mountains. Many of the riders that could be involved in organized snowmobiling are off riding in BC. I don't blame them its just a group of dedicated snowmobilers that don't have interests in their home area until we get a pile of snow at home. Provinces such as Saskatchewan and Manitoba have a more local locked in volunteer groups because where else do the locals ride. These clubs have trails and volunteer helpers and are organized better. More riders = better riding opportunities. Look at Revy. Do you think they would have what they have if all those riders went elsewhere to ride? With big numbers come more headaches but also more volunteers and people willing to work to make things better.
We all need to do our part to keep organized snowmobiling alive before it all gets lost by no club organization and support over the long haul.
Just my rant of the day

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
at one of our meetings for the crowsnest pass quad squad we counted only 3 people under 55 most of us are 55 - 70 + we have tried hard to get the younger generation to join but with jobs and money most part of their lives they just don't have to resources to give the time.like glen said it is always the same people on the board and no one is getting younger

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This story is so true. Here in Alberta we are close to being volunteer burn out. For years the same 10 have been doing all the work and organizing for all the riders to enjoy. You ask for helpers and some show up but don't get involved after that. Some clubs do better than others but it takes a few years of help to make much change. Some stick around others lose interest and end their help. Another issue is I think we are being hurt by being so close to the mountains. Many of the riders that could be involved in organized snowmobiling are off riding in BC. I don't blame them its just a group of dedicated snowmobilers that don't have interests in their home area until we get a pile of snow at home. Provinces such as Saskatchewan and Manitoba have a more local locked in volunteer groups because where else do the locals ride. These clubs have trails and volunteer helpers and are organized better. More riders = better riding opportunities. Look at Revy. Do you think they would have what they have if all those riders went elsewhere to ride? With big numbers come more headaches but also more volunteers and people willing to work to make things better.
We all need to do our part to keep organized snowmobiling alive before it all gets lost by no club organization and support over the long haul.
Just my rant of the day

It's no different here in Sask. Same group of people doing the same things every year. Every 5-7 years there's a major turnover as the volunteers get burnt out. Always the same half a dozen guys doing everything for everyone else. We do have a great funding program in place, but I wonder sometimes if it hasn't developed the opposite effect - clubs have money, so why volunteer?

Top Bottom