Is there a problem?

BrandonSK

Reaction score
Just wondering if its normal not to have that beautiful smell of 2stroke oil when you first start the machine. It always had that smell until I started it up this morning. I think something is not right here, since that beautiful aroma was always there.

All I smell is regular exhaust, I feel somthing is wrong with the oil pump

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't hurt to be on the cautious side and mix your gas at about 40:1 or 50:1. Go riding with a few extra plugs just incase. Afterwards, check your oil consumption.

It'll smoke because of the twice the oil (you'll be down to around 20:1), but provided your pump isn't working no harm will be done.

The Shell Advanced oil doesn't smell a whole lot, but it smokes when cold. This way I know it's burning oil at least.

If the oil consumption is less or non-existant, then start the trouble shooting.

BrandonSK

Reaction score
Im using the Polaris VES oil, I dont have to mix
I guess I can give machine specs to help the cause

'02 800 RMK

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He's saying mix your gas and go for a ride and check the oil consumption in the injection tank. if there is a problem with your oil pump, the mixed gas will prevent a melt down. If there is'nt a problem, your sled will smoke so bring extra plugs and you will see a drop in the oil level in your injection tank. Hope this helps.

BrandonSK

Reaction score
Sorry I misunderstood :)
I will give that try and see how it goes.

Thanks to the both of you for answering a newbie question

Top Bottom