Is the flap still important?

Motomonks

Reaction score
2014 m8000

this this may be a stupid question but

I used to have a Doo, and I know the flap was crucial for cooling, but these new cats have the heat exchanger in the front, does that mean the flap is essentially useless?

other than roost, I don't see the point of having them?
scratchers always down on packed and up with deep snow to keep the track sliders cool.

i really hate how the factory flap is shaped in the fact you can barely get one hand in each side to grab the bar when getting un stuck.

Has anyone taken their flaps off? Any issues? Am I missing something?

Cwarren

Reaction score
I took the flap off my 07 m and as long as there is at least a couple inches of snow it hasn't overheated

Sent from my iPhone using

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i cut my flap short on my 2011 and it was overheating on the trails up the mountain, but as soon as i got into snow like 6 inches and deeper it was good

Phat Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say it would be even more important on the 14's with only the front exchanger. The flap will keep more snow in underneath the tunnel. One way to find out is to take it off and keep it with you. Ride it up the trail and keep your eye on the temp light. My guess is that you will overheat even with scratchers. Another option is to check out these > Proven Design Products | Arctic Cat Pro Climb Snowmobile Accessories | Snow Flaps The strap kit would also be a good idea.

Last edited:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I put 2000 miles on my 07 m8 without a flap or scratchers.... only time I ever saw the light come on was heading up the renshaw trail, hopped into the bush gave her a few braps and the light was off... even on the trails I'm usually playing off trail and it doesn't take much to keep them cool....

Top Bottom