Is it real or a scam ?

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I listed my 97 GMC on Kikiji this AM. Within a few minutes I got a relpy asking if it was still for sale. I e-mailed back as said sure . An hour later the guy e-mails back asking if I will accept PayPal payment so he can pay by credit card once we negotiate the price and he will make shipping arrangement to get the vehicle to UK London. I know there is scam out there but I am thinking this is a 12 yrs old kid with too much time on his hands cruising Kikiji. I laughed - a 97 GMC Jimmy is not a 69 Cuda with a soft top and a six pack. Have anyone else had odd response from Kikiji adds ? This is my first time listing stuff on Kikiji.

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a scam. The paypal payment would probably be made with a stolen credit card and then you are screwed when paypal catches on and your vehicle is in a sea container leaving port.

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
I would take a pass on this deal. Too many things can go wrong. I know there are phony Paypal sites, among other scams out there and you may end up holding the bag for some fraudulent activity done in your name. There's also scams where they send you too much money. You send the overpayment back to them and then the original total amount gets reversed somehow, leaving you out whatever refund you sent back to them.

yamaha125cc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah i belive that it would be way to much work and there are way to many thing that could go wrong. Just try to find a buyer who will pay cash or check. I dont think i would ship anything.

i ship my dirt bike they broke the brake leaver and bent the handle bar and i had a very hard time to get them to pay for it.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Offer to use Paypal, but tell him you'll wait 30 days to make sure the money clears before you ship. That shoud weed out the scams from the real buyers. I prefer the idea of waiting for someone with cash though.

rob350

Reaction score
You are selling a physical item, a truck.

I would only accept a physical item in return, cash.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we dide one deal like this on kijiji. guy wanted to pay pay pal. said no to many scams. so e mail money transfer the funds and we will do it. guy said no problem and went ahead with the deal all worked good. no cost to either party for it and funds are there imediatly

MuskokaGirl

Reaction score
I have problems with things like this too...I wanted to buy Pearl Jam tickets for my brothers birthday last year...but it seemed kind of fishy...so I did not even bother with it...how can you even tell if it is real or a scam...I just can't seem to trust too many people especially on the internet

Technobee

Reaction score
Cash talks- BS walks- even certified cheques I would not accept- scammers are getting too good for even the banks to catch right away- if the little voice inside your head is saying "scam" or "this doesn't fell right" or if you have to ask other people if it is a scam(because at this moment the voice is telling you it is)-err on the side of caution and listen to the voice.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are buying something online, credit card is your friend. If something doesn't arrive, very easy to get money back. Paypal is ok, but a pain to deal with. But as said the original topic scenario is sketchy.

I personally love cash. I will take bank drafts for things but it depends on the person and the type of draft. Haven't seen one that I questioned yet though. But if it seemed off I would just tell them I want to go to the bank with them.

Also, another good idea for big purchases. You could just go to their bank with them and get the money transferred to your account. No cost involved, and 100% secure. Kind of a pain but NO chance of issues.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the great insight. I never did reply to the guy that wanted the vehicle from the UK. "The littel voice inside " said it was a scam. I was able to sell the vehicle the " old school " way - a local guy bought it for his daughter and showed up next day to pick up the truck and drop off a bank draft. He gave me the option of cash or bank draft. Everything was face to face and finished with a hand shake and a thanks. The next thing I have to sell is a Ford 9N tractor

Cheers:beer::beer::beer:

Top Bottom