Iridium spark plugs vs BR9EYA ?

mustard73

Reaction score
How many of you guys are running iridium plugs instead of the copper (I think they are copper anyways) plugs?

Are they worth the few extra bucks?

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
i run iridium in my 800 mountain cat

didnt had to change 1 set of plugs last year all season

just swaped them with new ones this season and keep the last years as spares

dvst8r

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run them in my bike (ktm-300 2 stroke) starts easier, and didn't foul one all last season, vs 2 coppers the season before. It is probably still circumstantial at best, but in my mind it works better so I can justify the cost. However the sled for the few minutes it has run doesn't seem to make a difference, so it just gets coppers.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many of you guys are running iridium plugs instead of the copper (I think they are copper anyways) plugs?

Are they worth the few extra bucks?

Depends. Performance difference? None. Resistant to fouling? Yes. However, the reason I use them is that the iridium tip will melt before the piston crown, causing the engine to shut down prior to meltdown. This was a great thing when tuning my wife's 08 M8. Not a planned thing, not sure if it will happen every time, but if the plug calves before the piston, I'll keep using them...

WATDAFOOK

Reaction score
Depends. Performance difference? None. Resistant to fouling? Yes. However, the reason I use them is that the iridium tip will melt before the piston crown, causing the engine to shut down prior to meltdown. This was a great thing when tuning my wife's 08 M8. Not a planned thing, not sure if it will happen every time, but if the plug calves before the piston, I'll keep using them...

I never knew that Iridium had a lower melting point than aluminum...Cool...

snowzombie

Reaction score
I never knew that Iridium had a lower melting point than aluminum...Cool...

:confused: There must be another factor involved here, the melting temperature of Iridium is almost 4 times higher then Aluminum -4440F vs 1220F

The leading cause of plug "fouling" in a 2 stroke is the unburned oil residues and I dont see how a spark plugs design or material make up is going to have much of an effect on that.

Personally I am sticking with EYA I have yet to foul a plug on my M8 (3 seasons changed out at the begining of each season) don't see where the advantages are for the extra $$$$ - JMO

ff92

Reaction score
My 07 M8 would foul plugs constantly. Swapped in the Iridiums and now the plugs read brown instead of wet black. The only other change made was cleaning and adjusting exhaust valves, which weren't extremely filthy to start with.

sleliuk1

Reaction score

yeah that doesnt make any sense at all. right from NGK's website:

Iridium IX®

The Spark Plug
Serious Enthusiasts Rely On

Designed specifically for the performance enthusiast. Iridium IX® offers extreme ignitability, improved throttle response and superior anti fouling

Fine Iridium tip ensures high durability and a consistently stable spark
Iridium alloy has extremely high melting point, perfect for today’s high-tech, high-performance engines
Trivalent Metal Plating - superior anti-corrosion and anti-seizing properties
Outstanding acceleration, high fuel efficiency and durability
Ultimate design, technology and performance.

Pretty sure this plug wont melt, and if it does, you have major issues happening.

Top Bottom