Intermittant spark

coop1982

Reaction score
I have recently installed a rebuilt 800R for my 2007 summit adrenilne, however have had problems with spark being intermittant but strong and blue when it does spark. I replaced the ignition coil/voltage regulator/ wires/stator and relay and still the same problem exsists. I also checked the ground wire as well as added another to give it more ground but to no avail. I had it in the local skidoo shop where it sat for 11 days, they checked the ecm and reprogrammed it and supposably is fine. I am looking at changing the ECM but would like to test one that works first, however has to be reprogrammed and mapped to the sled I believe. A new ECM is a lovely $837 here in the great white north!! Easy to change but most expensive part so far. Throwing away good money after bad with zero results. Has anyone had the same type of problem????? please help with your input.

coop1982

Reaction score
Ya the resistance and voltage readings are both within range... magnets are still strong as well. That is one thing that I never did change yet though... pick up coils and ECM... The timing is controlled by the ECM I think, but it is not every 5 pulls or 7 pulls its all over but still strong when present. Tried to pour gas down plug hole and crank away trying to get it to ignite but still nothing. Seems strange to me even if spark comes once in a while one would think it would still ignite fuel in the hole...??? Is there a certain gap on the plug itself your half to set? I have two new sets of BR9ECS. Also the relay.. what exactly is the its function? was replaced too though. Also checked was the keyway on the flywheel which IS there. I was hoping it was gone and I could slap one in and GO! lol no dice

coop1982

Reaction score
Which wires the coil end of plug wires or the electrical wires on top? The skidoo shop had said that when hooked to communication kit the ecm was sending spark from computer like it was supposed to... He was having trouble getting readings from the secondary windings while testing the coil wires themselves.. old ignition coil and the new one. I am very curious about our local shop due to the fact that his compression test turned 90 psi and mine was 135psi i used 2 different testers too so I am on my own up here I think. LOL

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You better take it to a different shop

Sent from my iPhone

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After Ur done move that stupid emc from above heat and moisture to above the oil tank.

After I did that mine never had a no spark no run issue.

from my HTC

Sun Sport

Reaction score
Dont worry about the relay ,as far as I know its there to cut the power from the accessory's (warmers,dash,headlight) to keep the ignition power stong when the sled starts to stall.The plug gap isn't your problem unless there is little to no gap but the spec is .028-.032.Has the sled ran at all since it has been rebuilt ? Still thinkin pickup coil???:confused: Are they installed correctly you could always switch pin locations in your pickup coil connector ...they could be in backwards ,never tried but maybe try to pull it backwards to check for spark????:rolleyes:

donnie

Reaction score
Simple trouble shooting. Do you get intermittent spark through the plug (are you grounding it and watching the spark) or pulling the plug wire and watching the ball roll out to the top of the spark plug while running? Ive been burned on these plugs a couple times now out of new packages so i buy 4 or 5 at a time. If spark is good from the wire to top of plug change the plugs or switch them around, try switching them around anyway. I have some theories why they do this.

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Simple trouble shooting. Do you get intermittent spark through the plug (are you grounding it and watching the spark) or pulling the plug wire and watching the ball roll out to the top of the spark plug while running? Ive been burned on these plugs a couple times now out of new packages so i buy 4 or 5 at a time. If spark is good from the wire to top of plug change the plugs or switch them around, try switching them around anyway. I have some theories why they do this.
Strange enough I have had it where the plugs will spark out of the hole while groumded and when in and undrr compressionwould not fire. This was due to the plugs being "leaded" but the fuel has changed so who knows.

coop1982

Reaction score
This particular motor came from the states and was a cycle shops mechanics personal sled... He had rebuilt the motor and ran for 100hours then crashed it. Since i've received the motor, it has not run or even coughed yet. Pick up coils tested out good and I never messed with them. I physically looked them over with cover off.. pick up coils im guessing are way cheaper than an ECM though! All I had to install on this motor was the rewind and clutch basically but whos to say the shop it came from is trust worthy. Should have went brand new but I never... used equipment is a great way to learn but very frustrating at the same time. Will get a second opinion on my pick up coils and maybe look at changing them out. Of course i have the motor intalled again for the second time lol. Not easy but do-able for changing while motor intsalled? Sure isnt much room for anything...lol Thanks for all the input and suggestions!!

coop1982

Reaction score
Yes the plugs were out and I was grounding them and watching the spark. also had a spark tester on it too but same same. I ended up pulling the pins right out of my new ignition coil which didnt make me very happy. Can you re solder those in or would it be filed under G for garbage? I have not had this motor running since I got it.. but has 100 hours on it from seller A reputable cycle shop from Idaho who says it was running great and tested everything before he shipped me the motor. Im quickly sinking money into it but probably end up with lots of spare parts and the knowledge to change them now.. lol

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i am not sure but i would you coils can be filed under g... maybe you would be better to take it all apart and put it back together maybe you forgot a wire some where... i moved my ecm without anything special just took the mounting plate off and rivetted it back on ....

coop1982

Reaction score
the trigger coil voltage was reading around .237 Vdc for both> the range in the manual is .200 -.350 anyone think this being low end could be intermittant problem??

Sun Sport

Reaction score
Check them for continuity , set your meter to ohms and they should be 190-300ohms(resistance),the test u just did is for trigger output and I would say that your results are fine.

coop1982

Reaction score
on double checking the ohms are .238 for both and the voltage was averaging around .230 however some pulls were under .200 like .170 .160.190 im guessing its dependant on the power of the pull but i tried to be as equal as possible...

coop1982

Reaction score
when I have the continuity indicator on (beeper) should it sound when the tester posts are on each wire of that one pick up coil? so if im on blue/yellow and white/yellow should it sound the steady beep? it is not sounding a beep when checking each coil with the 2 corosponding wires.

Top Bottom