Insuring snowmobile with ICBC- In British Columbia

John Cambell

Reaction score
Hey there. I hope this was close enough to post in this section, as I wanted to keep the question to BC residents.

I have never thought about this, but can you register a sled like you do car thru ICBC?

Can it be insured for theft, vandalism, fire etc?

What happens if you get in an accident towing it, without insurance,but you have trailer and truck insurance?

If registration is possible, how much does it cost approx.?

Thanks for your feedback

RevyTiger

Reaction score
I just insured my New Sled with Beacon insurance, through my local broker. As far as I know ICBC does not offer coverage.

All risk policy covering fire, theft, vandalism, 1M Liability, search and rescue expense, Travel Protection, Riding Gear and some Trailer For $593.00

If you damage the sled while towing and it is not insured you will not have coverage through your home, or auto insurance as far as I know.

Registration is a whole other issue for debate, see other thread.

Hope this helps clear up some questions

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We went through Hub. Both sleds with all perils was $ 815.00. There is an option for riding gear coverage for an extra 25 bucks, but if your deductible is 1000 then it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
By law your required to register you sled in BC, most insurance companies can do it, right now it cost $10 but its going up next year. Cheapest insurance I've found is through Capri Insurance, you can go as little or as much as you want for insurance, all perils or just fire theft. If you belong to the BC Wildlife Federation your membership cost includes liability insurance for sledding. Sherm

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a member of the Sparwood fish and wildlife ass. so does that mean I have liability?
By law your required to register you sled in BC, most insurance companies can do it, right now it cost $10 but its going up next year. Cheapest insurance I've found is through Capri Insurance, you can go as little or as much as you want for insurance, all perils or just fire theft. If you belong to the BC Wildlife Federation your membership cost includes liability insurance for sledding. Sherm

MonasheeJay

Reaction score
I purchased my '14 XM used from a good friend. Upon registering in my name, do I pay the taxes on the sell price he sold to me for? Thanks

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Nope. Went up to $48 two days ago (Nov 17).

https://www.snowandmud.com/snowmobile-chat-14/bc-mandatory-registration-begins-next-week-94551.html

Last edited:

Hillclimber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I purchased my '14 XM used from a good friend. Upon registering in my name, do I pay the taxes on the sell price he sold to me for? Thanks
To register it in your name you will have to pay the taxes on it. Now you have to go through Icbc for that.

MADMAN

Reaction score
Yeeeeeeouch, do they at least supply a decent anal lube with that price? :/

We went through Hub. Both sleds with all perils was $ 815.00. There is an option for riding gear coverage for an extra 25 bucks, but if your deductible is 1000 then it doesn't seem worth it to me.

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your right about the increase, I just got a BCWF notice and states the same thing, guess I beat them by a few weeks on mine! With respect to the liability, you'd have to check with your individual Fish and Game Club to see what their insurance will cover. I just know that BCWF covers you for liability while your engaged in outdoor activities such as hunting or fishing. I will scan the blurb from BCWF about the new regs, it has some Q and A on it, printer just ran outta ink so I'll post it a bit later....Sherm

***Was on the phone to Hub who looks after BCWF insurance, you can purchase extra liability insurance if your a BCWF member, 1 million for $100 . They also said that many home insurance policies cover liability, check with your company..***

Last edited:

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here you go....

Attachments

• ORV1.jpg
    ORV1.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 203
  • ORV2.jpg
    ORV2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 198

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sister works for capri insurance and the 48.00 regi fee is not mandatory until June or July she told me. It is your choice to do it now.

Shermanator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's sorta true but sleds have always had to have been registered in BC if your a resident, so I'm guessing your just meaning for those that have a new sled? I don't remember them saying that there is a grace period for sleds that have never been registered here....Sherm

jonniebud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All sleds half to be registered . If you purchased your sled before such and such date in 2010 you pay no tax.if after that date you pay the tax and 48$ for your plate.if you plan on crossing any hi ways etc ,you can by insurance from icbc it's 22$ But is for road coverage only not on the mountain.any sled caught crossing will face the same fines as a motor vehicle ( ie no insurance plus impound)a big thanks to abc ,bcsf for standing up for our rites so if you haven't joined a club join

SledSmut

Reaction score
What I've been told as well, is that "highways" include any public access roadway and parking lot.

That would mean that if you are parking in a parking lot at a ski resort, or anywhere else that anyone has access to, you REQUIRE that highway insurance. Beyond that, you REQUIRE liability insurance out in the bush.

The only way you can get away without needing those insurances is if you are on privately owned land.

Between all of this and the stupid plate we are supposed to put on our sleds, I see that some greedy a-hole politico is just looking for a way to make money off of us.

Thanks, Government!!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I've been told as well, is that "highways" include any public access roadway and parking lot.

That would mean that if you are parking in a parking lot at a ski resort, or anywhere else that anyone has access to, you REQUIRE that highway insurance. Beyond that, you REQUIRE liability insurance out in the bush.

The only way you can get away without needing those insurances is if you are on privately owned land.

Between all of this and the stupid plate we are supposed to put on our sleds, I see that some greedy a-hole politico is just looking for a way to make money off of us.

Thanks, Government!!

Nope. Not for a sled. Read section 3 paragraph 1 of the Forest Service Road Use Regulation.

Forest Service Road Use Regulation

Last edited:

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you purchased your sled before such and such date in 2010 you pay no tax.

Not true. You pay no tax AT TIME OF REGISTRATION. (See link and below.) Still have to pay 7% PST......and they will catch up to you eventually.

"For ORVs acquired or brought into BC before July 1, 2010, the 7% provincial sales tax (under
the Social Service Tax Act) applies. If you did not pay PST at the time of purchase or bringing it
into BC, you must self-assess the tax payable using the Casual Remittance Return (FIN 405)
and include a copy of the bill of sale with your payment. You will not be required to pay the PST
at the time of registration."

Last edited:

SledSmut

Reaction score
Nope. Not for a sled. Read section 3 paragraph 1 of the Forest Service Road Use Regulation.

Forest Service Road Use Regulation

I'll see your forestry act and raise you an ORV act.

Off Road Vehicle Management Framework - Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations

• Amendments to the Forest Service Road Use Regulation (October 2012): a snowmobile operator may cross a ploughed Forest Service Road if they have a valid driver’s license, $200,000 third party liability insurance, and both the driver and passenger must wear a helmet. In addition, the snowmobile operator must yield the right of way to other traffic, exercise due care and attention and take reasonable precautions for the safety of other persons using the Forest Service Road.

Government!!!! :protest:

Top Bottom