Insurance

Smokey1

Reaction score
Called to get ins on my dirt bike today and they won't insure me without a class 6 and 3 years exp or the course. Are there insurance companies that will insure dirt bikes without needing a class 6? If I was on the street I'd fork out the $500 to take the course, but to beat around fields on my 82 Honda I can do without it. I just don't want the no insurance ticket.

Barnes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem when i went to go insure my 89 Yz250, AMA gave me the same story. Been told to check into TD insurance, but heard alot of problems with them. Anyone else have any ideas?

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bankers & Traders. I'm insured to my quad with out a class 6. If you got a 5 I don't see why you'd need to write a motorcycle test if you aren't taking it on the road.

darkday

Reaction score
check with your insurance broker, i insured my katana 750 without a class 6. costs a little more but there is a company that will insure without a license.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check with your insurance broker, i insured my katana 750 without a class 6. costs a little more but there is a company that will insure without a license.

call me stupid but what is the reason for insuring your bike if you cant ride it? i know theft fire etc but you dont need the license for that. and you cant ride it on the track without a license. kinda confused here.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

second that, its the brokers job to find companys that will insure you

mustange70

Reaction score
I'm through TD and nothing but good to say about them, try to insure as just an OHV for use on crown land, just because you don't have the license to drive said vehicle doesn't mean it can't be insured, its the registry/cops that dictate you have the proper license. As many people put basic insurance on vehicles if they are valuable, but in storage.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Called to get ins on my dirt bike today and they won't insure me without a class 6 and 3 years exp or the course. Are there insurance companies that will insure dirt bikes without needing a class 6? If I was on the street I'd fork out the $500 to take the course, but to beat around fields on my 82 Honda I can do without it. I just don't want the no insurance ticket.
get in touch with brad on here* (stumpy) I think it's darsons insurance....he's a very good guy to deal with, i'll bet there are more than a few people on here that will agree. I'm sure he'll tell you what the options are and fix ya up. tell him fat tire said hello.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
call me stupid but what is the reason for insuring your bike if you cant ride it? i know theft fire etc but you dont need the license for that. and you cant ride it on the track without a license. kinda confused here.

Because you can buy a bike without a class 6 , and to learn you need a class 5 or whatever other # . So you insure your bike to learn ,after you get your class 6 you go back to the insurance and get better deal. That is what i did. Your insurance so you dont have to worry about crashing someone elses stuff.
Make sense ? I know what i am trying to say not sure it came out correct

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a dirt bike and for TD Meloche Monnex to insure me they wanted class 6 so instead they put me through to Nordic Insurance Company of Canada. I pay higher premium because I'm a higher risk without class 6. I would talk to TD and tell them you want dirt bike insurance with Nordic. Otherwise there will be very few who take you on without class 6, I looked around.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am trough co operators and have had several bikes insured trough them never had a problem. dirt bikes are off highway and don't require a class six by law so i don't know why they would even ask. I would go back and tell them that by law you don't need the class 6 and to insure you or your going else where, or go talk to co operators they have been great to me.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am trough co operators and have had several bikes insured trough them never had a problem. dirt bikes are off highway and don't require a class six by law so i don't know why they would even ask. I would go back and tell them that by law you don't need the class 6 and to insure you or your going else where, or go talk to co operators they have been great to me.

Yep, me too. I have my WR450 and my kid's CRF50 insured through them, and I don't have a class 6. They never ask for anything more than a bill of sale.

Last edited:

Stumpy

Reaction score
call me stumpy I,m on the site and a insurance broker (owner ) DARSON INSURANCE SERVICES 780- 452 -7272 you do not need class 6 for any off road vehicle but you have to be 16 and have a class 5 or have a parent over 16 with class 5 as principle operator on policy and underage kids listed will be covered :):)

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
call me stumpy I,m on the site and a insurance broker (owner ) DARSON INSURANCE SERVICES 780- 452 -7272 you do not need class 6 for any off road vehicle but you have to be 16 and have a class 5 or have a parent over 16 with class 5 as principle operator on policy and underage kids listed will be covered :):)

Thats what i thought i don't know why so many people have problems.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother couldnt get insurance on a 2009 Harley with out a motorcylce licence so I insured under my name. I have a motorcylce licence, he will get it in spring. So who knows maybe some you can some you cant?? thats my story

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can see it happening with a harley cause its a on highway vehicle warents for a class 6 lisnece.

Top Bottom