Insurance on the 50 cc quads

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what the rules are for insurance and registration are for the little Giovanni 49.5cc quads are? I've had some people tell me that because it is under 50cc none is required. Other's say to ride on public land you need it. I checked it out once and the cost was about $45-50 year registration and about $90-125 year insurance. So after a year and a bit I paid for the quad with the insurance premium's. Don't really care about the quad but would like coverage in case they hit somebody or something.

FoxxyS

Reaction score
You cna register and insure the 50's. I recommend it as we recently had a 250 stolen.. the 50 was beside it, and i dont' know why it didn't go too!!

cuzican

Reaction score
They don't require us to have insurance down here in the states on ATVs or motorcycles(street or dirt). However with my ability to do stupid things I've thought about it just to pay for damage if I drop one off a mountain side.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Its like this,You have to have it to be legal.I have a 50 cc Giovanni and the warden gave me a brochure and a warning.He also said in a round about way that they dont enforce it if the kid stays right close to your campsite and is supervised but if you get a warden in a bad mood or the other machines are not legal your done.When my son isnt riding it we keep ours loaded or in an enclosed trailer.Yes this is not legal but insurance and registration is a waste of money in my opinion on these little quads.There was a time not long ago that you didnt have to isure and register anything under 50 cc.That is what made mopeds so popular for those of you that remember!
Now it is a cash grab,In my opinion!
catmando!

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
According to the Alberta Govt Website, as long as it meets "Mini" status (Smaller axle to axle wheel base, height of seat etc) it does not require registration.
I did put insurance on the small Can-Am due to how easy it'd be to steal and who knows what damage those little guys can do?? LOL

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They now classify them as motorized vehicles,He gave me a brochere that made it very clear,Ask any warden when they come and visit.
catmando!

arcticdodge

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got 2 of the little Giovanni 50 cc quads and the insurance company wants just over $100 each. I only paid $189 each for them amd $179 each for shipping. So after 2 years I paid more in insurance than the quads are worth. But still need to be legal because I don't need no tickets for no insurance or registration.:confused:

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is where I found current information from the Gov't of Alberta regarding the REGISTRATION of the Mini-Quads/Bikes..

Service Alberta: Common Questions - Drivers and Motor Vehicles

Unless this is all wrong, it clearly states that you cannot register machines that are considered "Smaller Than Normal". I want to make sure..I do not want any tickets either.....Here is what the website states:

What is a minature vehicle and can they be registered?
Minature vehicles (some examples shown below) cannot be registered and cannot be operated on any highway in Alberta. They may be operated on private property only. A minature vehicle includes, but is not limited to, a go cart, a 3or 4 wheeled vehicle (including off-highway vehicles) of less than standard size.

A motorcycle or moped is considered a minature vehicle if:

It has a seat height of less than 70 centimeters when there is no load

A wheel rim diameter of less than 25 centimeters

A wheel base of less than 100 centimeters when measured from the centre of one axel to the centre of the other axel

Attachments

• Mini_Vehicles.jpg
    Mini_Vehicles.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 273

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is where I found current information from the Gov't of Alberta regarding the REGISTRATION of the Mini-Quads/Bikes..

Service Alberta: Common Questions - Drivers and Motor Vehicles

Unless this is all wrong, it clearly states that you cannot register machines that are considered "Smaller Than Normal". I want to make sure..I do not want any tickets either.....Here is what the website states:

What is a minature vehicle and can they be registered?
Minature vehicles (some examples shown below) cannot be registered and cannot be operated on any highway in Alberta. They may be operated on private property only. A minature vehicle includes, but is not limited to, a go cart, a 3or 4 wheeled vehicle (including off-highway vehicles) of less than standard size.

A motorcycle or moped is considered a minature vehicle if:

It has a seat height of less than 70 centimeters when there is no load

A wheel rim diameter of less than 25 centimeters

A wheel base of less than 100 centimeters when measured from the centre of one axel to the centre of the other axel

You may end up with a ticket anyway.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Have you tried contacting your local RCMP establishment and asking them? They are normally pretty good.

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I will ask the local RCMP (As they would be the ones giving the tickets) to clarify.

Mind you, I don't plan to have the Lil' Guys off the property for a while anyway!!:D

Landrew

Reaction score
I'm going to keep a copy of that document with my giovanni in case we take it on crown land. The rest of my off - roaders are insured/registered.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
went thru this with the 125cc breeze.....

Called insurnace said I need to insure machine SN $%^#*&^%$%.....

alright sir that shows up as a 125cc yamaha breeze......Who will be the primary operator?

My daughter will be.

How old is your daughter & does she have a licence?

She's 11 so no licence....

I'm sorry sir we can not insure her

I'm not asking you to insure her, I'm asking you to insure the quad.

So what your saying sir is that YOU will be the primary operator?

SILENCE...... Sir I believe you told me YOU would be the primary operator, is that correct?

Um YES..... alright then sir your temporary card has been e-mailed to you.

So realistically.......

The insurance is useless for anything other than avoiding fines & registering.... if your insurance company finds out that an unlicenced driver under 16 was operating the machine they will deny coverage anyhow.... one fine for no insurance will range from $115 to up to $2500 depending on the officer and municipality, costs me $47 year to insure the 125.... so it is in fact insurance against fines which I will glady pay.....

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the last 2 years on may long both the rcmp, fish and feather, and park guys all said that if we had all the insurance and reg, that if they were behind us its ok..... or if they are being watched in a open area.....

then the next weekend a different fish cop says u better load them up or we will fine ya..... so then i get pissed off and tell him what was told the weekend before and he says.... huh and takes off..... like who nows what they will do..... thats what i figure....

GasCan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.oldgasolinesigns.com
I asked a forrestry ranger this past season and he told me the same as the dept of MV:

Anything 50cc and over must be registered and insured irreagardless of anything else including size, age of rider or location. All bikes and quads under 50cc (i.e. 49cc minibikes) do not require registration or insurance if the underage rider is accompanied and supervised by an adult.

You can get insurance and registration but it's not required or mandated if it's 49cc or less. Liability is huge if you want to insure your 5 year old kid with an insurance broker so maybe get a personal policy on the little one if you need to.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We got tickets in a provincial park at the lake one time on 50cc dirt bikes.
I don't think it matters what size they are!

mudhunter

Reaction score
We have a 90cc Polaris, and I'm wondering the same thing... Plate or no plate

Alberta riding

Top Bottom