insurance and registration?

mikey11

Reaction score
What is the deal with insurance and registration?

do you need a plate on crown land?

How do you register a machine with a different tunnel? (Mod)

do you use the serial # from the engine?

Any help will be appreciated. Please excuse my ignorance? just a nube with some toys looking for fun times....!!!!!!! LOL

Oilboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
insurance ya i have it and always will, it just not to protect you when some one steals your stuff but also for your buddy if you run him over and he cant go to work.
registration is a good idea will save you alot of headache if you get pulled over, and its alot cheeper than the ticket (250+) now i think. yes you do need a plate on crown land.
as for the tunnel im not sure i have never changed one but others will chime in and answer that one for you, but i think the engine serial # would do.

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Any help will be appreciated. Please excuse my ignorance? just a nube with some toys looking for fun times....!!!!!!! LOL

Talk to the police had my mod done. They issue a new ser # with the engine number as engines are serialized with the chassis.Didn't cost me anything.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a modded tunnel sled years back! I never registered it, then sold it. The guy I sold it too phoned me up one day after he had tried to register the sled. He stated that the repair shop would not work on his sled without a registration number and the cops told him not to drive around with it in his truck until he had it regged. Also he said the insurance or registration business told him it would be 400 dollars for a new vin number before he could reg the sled. He tried to use the engine stamp and they said no to that... Might be ways around this but I dunno of any... Hope that helps you out....

Reaction score
I had a serial number plate stamped with the old serial number off the stock tunnel and then rivited it to the new foot well. Later, I destroyed the old serial number on the old tunnel with a grinder to make sure the stock tunnel never gets reused with my number.

Hope that helps. Taking my chances with the plate, sled looks good, plate looks ugly. I just carry the insurance in the seat.

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

This is off the ICBC web site.

Do I have to register my snowmobile?
All snowmobiles must be registered, no matter what they are used for or where they're used, as required by the Motor Vehicle (All Terrain) Act.

To register your snowmobile, go to any Driver Licensing Centre (except Expressways). When it's registered, you will be issued two reflective decals. These must be displayed on both sides of the snowmobile.

Do I need licence plates and insurance?
A snowmobile must be licensed and insured if:

the snowmobile will be crossing a road that the public has access to drive on, or
if it is used in a parking lot.
Before you can license and insure your snowmobile, you must obtain an Operation Permit. This permit states where and when the snowmobile may cross a road. It must be kept with your snowmobile at all times.

For more information about Operation Permits, or to get one for your snowmobile, please contact your local law enforcement agency.

Once the snowmobile has been registered and has its permit, you can apply to license and insure it, as required by the Motor Vehicle Act. You can do this at any Autoplan broker.

For snowmobiles, a restricted licence plate is issued. The restricted plate shows that the vehicle's use on a highway is limited. (The Operation Permit explains what its use is limited to.)

I was at Specialty Sleds they engrave the old ser# on the new tunnel.

Last edited:

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When did you do that? Did you have the original tunnel serial number to give them or did they run your engine number and give you a serial number for tunnel? What police station - I have a sled that I would like to register properly. Cheers.

tasco

Reaction score
I bought sled with a modded tunnel. The prior owner cut the serial number and all identifing stickers out of the old tunnel and gave that to me at the time of purchase. I then riveted that to the side of my modded tunnel. Looks kind of dumb but at least I have the original serial numbers. Took the bill of sale and then bought insurance and a plate.

no worries, I just made sure that there was a serial number available for the sled at the time of purchase

Top Bottom