Insurance Adjuster

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with an Adjuster when they low ball the value of a truck? Does a guy have any options, or do you just have to take there offer?

Sent from my LG-E973 using Tapatalk

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Go on Kijiji and autotrader.ca look at the values to get an average market value. Then if you know you had some extra's negotiate from there. You don't really get alot of money for upgrades though. If you have AMA go on line on there website and the retail guides are there to help you as well.

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks I will check out the ama site. The issue is I put a lot of money into fixing it up and that doesn't seem to matter.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna be going through the same chit right away and im not looking forward to it!

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can put up a good fight, tell them to find you the same truck for what they offer you and then negotiate from there, do your homework to find the true value, they need to justify what they offer you, good luck

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ama site is a big help, the price that vmr Canada gave me is fair. Now I will add the bill for fixing it up. Thank you rknight11

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You haven't provided any details on the truck, the damage or who your insurer is so this is a very general reply. If the truck is damaged by something that is insured, then repairs should be done without deduction for depreciation or betterment less whatever deductible you have. If it is written off, then you receive market value so it is really like a forced sale to an insurer BUT they do have to be fair and reasonable with a settlement offer. The members above have given good advice as this is a negotiation. You mentioned you have put a bunch of money into the vehicle but that may or may not reflect in its value. New brakes to replace worn out ones probably don't add any value at all even if you had to spend $800. It is just basic maintenance. Giant tires may affect the value but not nearly to the extent they cost. If you are in Alberta, you can request an independent appraiser give a second opinion. Good luck

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If all else fails point at him/her directly between the eyes and make threats.......

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My truck and trailer was stolen about 3 week ago and insurance has now finally said I have a claim. The truck was a ford f350, I fixed it up and repainted, new wheels and rubber, stereo system, 5th wheel hitch, head studs and egr delete, etc. They haven't included anything for fixing it up and I provided all recipes, so I guess it is time for negotiations.

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been in those shoes before.NOT FUN..........fought for almost a year with SGI over a vehicle
I had that some scumbag took.Ended up getting over 3 times their original offer.I hired an appraiser
/mediator and they mostly hammered out a deal.Good luck,don't let them screw ya.

cokecrazed007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good advice, I'm dealing with Johnson /unifund, I may have to use the mediator idea.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If insured in Alberta, you are to be reimbursed for a rental vehicle for the first 30 days. About $30 per day so don't forget to add that in if you haven't rented a replacement. The hitch should be valued separately. The other fix ups and repairs can be a little trickier but there should be an extra allowance for most of those items but much of it might just take your truck from average to exceptional. The EGT delete may or may not have any value by itself. You do not have to accept their offer and if you look at your insurance policy wording it tells you what your rights are in the event of a disputed claim. Give them hell:)

SIRsleeper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should be able to get something out of the paint. My first vehicle got wrote off a month after a new paint job and they offered me cost of the paint job for the whole car. I was able to negotiate an extra 1250 out of them which was half of the paint job (which ironically enough they had paid half for)

As for repairs good friggin luck. My car was a honda civic I took to car shows and drag raced, I got zip for upgrades and repairs... That car was immaculate and for what they gave me I couldn't get another as mint one, which is kinda hard to fight that you own an overvalued vehicle. That car thought me the hard way that you lose money on cars no matter what, over 10 grand invested and got 3750 back, not that I ever expected 10 out of it but it woulda sold for 5-6g any day of the week back then.

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should have got an appraiser to value your car, and insured it for that amount. + side is that becomes your guaranteed value
- side is you need all perils on your policy which mean you pay more $$$ for policy.

Top Bottom