Inquiry?

TravisFader

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just my two cents here LadyDirt, But for a first timer hoping on the sled and hitting the throttle your probably not gonna want to be in the mountains, ride the trails first and get a feel for the machine because chances are if its your first time on a sled, your gonna be getting stuck a few times PARTICULARILLY in the mountains. And at the end of the day you just might be spending more time pulling yourself out than riding. I suggest riding the trails first of and handling it for a while before venturing of to the deep powder (Oh how we love thee). And also yeah, id say a 600 will be plenty. The roomates girlfriend has a 550 and it hauls me around(a 285 pound guy) Just fine. Have fun! You'll love it just like the rest of us!

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Taryn .. I'll help you get pointed in the right direction when we go riding around. You can always try out the xp when im around if you want. Wozney has never been sledding either and he just bought a new sled this year so it will be a learning curve for him to and not to mention a perfect time for you to tag along! Me and Sean know some good areas to ride in the mountains with some really good trails to learn on. along with some good areas to test yourself with!

Theres also some trails around my house "snow angels" who's trails pretty much go right through our farm, not to mention out by Darcy's farm too that you could bomb around on and get the feel for snowmobiling.
Dont worry we'll get you all trained up and tearing up the mountains in no time!

As for trailering issues. If you and Your bf wanna come sledding with us theres no issues for me on hauling them. I got a sled deck and about 4 trailers to choose from, most likely take the enclosed haha! but we do have a 4 place,3 place and 2 place open trailers that we could always take too and i got the right truck to pull all of it.

If you decide to rent from ELK ISLAND SALES that would work out great seeing how im only around 10 mins away from there and could easily shoot over there and pick up a rental sled if you decided to go that route.

The More people sledding in our group the better!

dooski

Reaction score
get the 800. you seem to be pretty hard core and the 600 to 800 weight difference is not enough to worry about so get the power. my old lady rides a 800 xp and will show up most guys out there. have fun.

more power can work to your advantage and there is nothing worse than trying to get your wife or girlfriend over the hill with a too small of a sled and my wife can ride really well also and she rides an 800 too

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO get a 800, my wife is 115lbs and she does great. You run a dirt bike you have the power. Throttel is your friend is the best lesson. As far gear layers,layers. the first time I went out I wore all my ski gear and sweated my a$$ off. I way over dressed, you will get stuck, if you don't you are not sledding yet. To me thats the funnest part...struggel to get were you are going.

lastly.......AVY GEAR.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are an experianced dirt bike rider judging from your pics in other post's you and your bf are going to be ADDICTED to sledding. Any 600 (Rev, M6, RMK) is going to be a good sled. there all reliable and have more than enough power for a first time rider. Welcome to a whole new world!!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
600 will be more than enough for you to learn on. Displacement is not a substitute for inexperience, but is far too often used for it. My old man has been sledding for 40 yrs, ridden almost everything under the sun, he currently rides a 600 and keeps up with the 800's no problem. Learn to ride...then step up to a bigger sled. Sledding and dirt biking are similar and different at the same time.

Snow is much more forgiving than dirt so you can get away with a little more tumbling, but a steep slope with big snow has far more potential to kill you than a dirt hill, I've never seen a dirt avy before. Sledding can get you way back into some big country you'd never see on a dirt bike. Keep this in mind and ride safe.

Hope that helps.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
600 will be more than enough for you to learn on. Displacement is not a substitute for inexperience, but is far too often used for it. - My old man has been sledding for 40 yrs, ridden almost everything under the sun- he currently rides a 600 and keeps up with the 800's no problem. Learn to ride...then step up to a bigger sled. Sledding and dirt biking are similar and different at the same time.

Snow is much more forgiving than dirt so you can get away with a little more tumbling, but a steep slope with big snow has far more potential to kill you than a dirt hill, I've never seen a dirt avy before. Sledding can get you way back into some big country you'd never see on a dirt bike. Keep this in mind and ride safe.

Hope that helps.

you are a trooper, most women would have leftlong ago after funding out. (couldn't resist, sorry) :)

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Displacement is not a substitute for inexperience, but is far too often used for it. My old man has been sledding for 40 yrs, ridden almost everything under the sun, he currently rides a 600 and keeps up with the 800's no problem. Learn to ride...then step up to a bigger sled.

Hope that helps.
I've been saying this exact same thing for years, it's absolutely amazing how many out there just don't get it. I'm glad you said this because I've been wanting to write it but last time I made a comment like this it turned into a pissing match and I didn't want to have this thread go the wrong way for the lady.

bigdog67

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! :) we're thinking we might look into the tour thing, since we don't know a whole lot about sledding it would be good to have the guidance...although we're thinking maybe Nordegg, to start, we have a resort in Nordegg so this way we don't have to worry about accomodations and such and I beleive there are a few places that do tours in the Nordegg area :)

Try this place.Everything you need from sled,clothes to lodging.
:)

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your in the area (Sicamous), just ring and we will take you out. you wont miss the girlfriends sled. candy rasberry pink and her jacket and helmet are even brighter. oh ya she has a 600. go with a 600.

Top Bottom