Inquiry?

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello there, I have never been sledding before (except when I was little) and I am very interested in trying it out this season. I dirtbike so I am anxious to try out a different machine and something I can look forward to in the winter since I sit at home getting cabin fever most of the time. I want to try renting a few different machines and trying them out before I decide to jump the gun and buy a sled but I would like some help/feedback from fellow sledders. I hear there are places you can rent sleds right in the mountains so that I do not need to worry about hauling? What type of sled should I look into renting if i'm in the mountains or just booting around in trails? Also gear...where and what should I look to buy for gear? Can you rent some gear as well? Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Hello there, I have never been sledding before (except when I was little) and I am very interested in trying it out this season. I dirtbike so I am anxious to try out a different machine and something I can look forward to in the winter since I sit at home getting cabin fever most of the time. I want to try renting a few different machines and trying them out before I decide to jump the gun and buy a sled but I would like some help/feedback from fellow sledders. I hear there are places you can rent sleds right in the mountains so that I do not need to worry about hauling? What type of sled should I look into renting if i'm in the mountains or just booting around in trails? Also gear...where and what should I look to buy for gear? Can you rent some gear as well? Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Great idea!! I would try renting a sled locally first and driving some trails here before venturing to the mountains as it can be quite challenging.

Clothes you need wick away underwear and breathable but moisture resistant outerwear and WARM boots!! For first timers if you have ski wear it usually does the trick. No sense buying a bunch of expensive stuff just to try. You can usually borrow a helmet too!! :cool:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

If you're wanting to go locally, Elk Island polaris rents sled, and they are right on the trail head to Ft Sask Snow Angels Trails.

If you're wanting to go to the mountians our Sponsor Spindrift PowerSports in McBride rents sleds and can arrange a guide for you.

I agree with doc, ski wear is normally enough for starting out, just be sure you keep your feet warm, and your hands warm!

Good Luck LadyDirt :)

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool, I think I will try that for sure, go somewhere local first. So I presume you can ride right from Elk Island place to these trails? No hauling required? I do have some snowboarding gear, pants, jacket, etc, but can I just wear my dirtbiking helmet with my snowboarding goggles or something? and no boots unfortunately so if i bought snowboarding boots this year would they work?

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowboard boots will certainly work. A lot of riders, myself included, use snowboard boots. There was a thread on here last winter about snowmobile boots vs. snowboard boots, if you look you can probably find it. The main argument for snowboard boots is that they have had way more $ spent on research. Make sure you get boots that aren't to stiff though...
A motoX helmet with goggles is probably your best bet anyways for your head. It is pretty standard for the mountains. I guess some people riding trails may wear a full face, but the get to hot as soon as you start to work at throwing your sled around.
I'm not sure about rentals in Calgary, but I'm sure there are some somewheres. And if you could find one, you could possibly do some trail in Cataract Creek. It is about 1hr SW of calgary. It snows there later, but they do groom it from time to time.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool, I think I will try that for sure, go somewhere local first. So I presume you can ride right from Elk Island place to these trails? No hauling required? I do have some snowboarding gear, pants, jacket, etc, but can I just wear my dirtbiking helmet with my snowboarding goggles or something? and no boots unfortunately so if i bought snowboarding boots this year would they work?

snowboard boots are fine,, many people use them.. same on helmet and goggles... its all good

just go with someone with some experiance,,, that way u wont be stuck allll day... go right to the hills there is always a trail up..

have fun...

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
all your snowboard gear will work fine. use your dirtbike helmet and goggles just have a bellaclava incase its chilly. rent a 800 146 and you will have a blast. just take along someone that can help you get unstuck.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are going to try sledding in the mountains, call ahead to someone like Glen at Spindrift in Mcbride, he can set you up with a sled, beacon, shovel, probe, guide and even a trailer if need be. All you need is your gear, dirtbike helmet and goggles are all we usually use too ,and your snowboard boots should do for the first few times. You don't want to rent a sled any bigger than a 600 ( it will take you anywhere you need to go in the hills, regardless what some will say ) if this is your first time as it will be more than enough to handle and if you rent something to big it can get frustrating for you and then comes the negative experience you don't want.
If you like bikes, your gonna love sleds. It's the best way to get rid of cabin fever in my books!!

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
get the 800. you seem to be pretty hard core and the 600 to 800 weight difference is not enough to worry about so get the power. my old lady rides a 800 xp and will show up most guys out there. have fun.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are going to try sledding in the mountains, call ahead to someone like Glen at Spindrift in Mcbride, he can set you up with a sled, beacon, shovel, probe, guide and even a trailer if need be. All you need is your gear, dirtbike helmet and goggles are all we usually use too ,and your snowboard boots should do for the first few times. You don't want to rent a sled any bigger than a 600 ( it will take you anywhere you need to go in the hills, regardless what some will say ) if this is your first time as it will be more than enough to handle and if you rent something to big it can get frustrating for you and then comes the negative experience you don't want.
If you like bikes, your gonna love sleds. It's the best way to get rid of cabin fever in my books!!

I very much agree. A 600 is enough. It will take you everywhere you need to go and more, especially if you are trail riding. Why overkill it?? A 600 may be a bit cheaper to rent as well. And, if the shop has taken the electric start out, you will be much happier pulling over the 600 than the 800.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My only problem with sled rentals is that I dont have a truck or trailer big enough to haul sleds, and this is something me and my bf want to do so I would be renting 2 sleds. So ideally renting somewhere that you can ride from would be great. I called Elk Island Sales and they do weekend rentals only, and you need to obtain a pass to ride on the trails where they are at but ya that doesnt work so much because I can't store or haul 2 sleds so where are a few places that I can actually rent & ride from? There are suppose to be a few of these places in the mountains...anyone know what the rental prices are like?

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think........don't quote me on this but I think Echo Marine in Alberta Beach rents sleds and you can ride right from there. There is good riding on the lake.................after it freezes obviously:eek::d. There is also trails around there. I've been to the drag races there a few times and did a little riding as well.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are going to the mountains, check out Golden Snowmobile Rentals. Aaron and Kim are both great to deal with. They have all the safety gear you would need and more importantly, they will explain how to use it.

Link Golden Snowmobile Rentals | sledding | Golden | British Columbia

They rent trailers and sleds. He'll also deliver the sleds and pick them up at the end of the day. Check out his site for snow updates and prices.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
My only problem with sled rentals is that I dont have a truck or trailer big enough to haul sleds, and this is something me and my bf want to do so I would be renting 2 sleds. So ideally renting somewhere that you can ride from would be great. I called Elk Island Sales and they do weekend rentals only, and you need to obtain a pass to ride on the trails where they are at but ya that doesnt work so much because I can't store or haul 2 sleds so where are a few places that I can actually rent & ride from? There are suppose to be a few of these places in the mountains...anyone know what the rental prices are like?

A Day pass for the trails there is very inexpensive, and every $ you spend on that day pass goes back into snowmobiling.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I think........don't quote me on this but I think Echo Cycle in Alberta Beach rents sleds and you can ride right from there. There is good riding on the lake.................after it freezes obviously:eek::d. There is also trails around there. I've been to the drag races there a few times and did a little riding as well.

That would be Ecko Marine, be VERY careful out there, make sure you have all your papers, the RCMP are grouchy!

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Alpine Country Rentals in Valemount will trailer the sleds to the staging areas. They can even provide a guide if you can afford it. All the rates are on their website at Alpine Country Rentals | Home.

nutma

Reaction score
I have rented off of Golden Snowmobile Rental before and it has always been a good time. Aaron takes the time to go through the sled with you and show you some simple things like changing the belt. I think his rental rate is 295 or close to. When we rented we were renting four or more at the same time so he was able to give us a little bit of a better price. He is also able to drop the sleds at the staging area that you want to ride. I would recommend Quarts Creek its good for all levels of riders.
I also use a goggles and a moto cross Helmet. I also wear a neck warmer or two to cover up the bear skin depending on how cold it is.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well just buy a cat m6 would be purrfect for u to start on there an awesome sled and for gear buy klim u pay alittle more but u get what u pay for my wife has the pink klim coat and pants and she loves them nice and light:d

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!! :) we're thinking we might look into the tour thing, since we don't know a whole lot about sledding it would be good to have the guidance...although we're thinking maybe Nordegg, to start, we have a resort in Nordegg so this way we don't have to worry about accomodations and such and I beleive there are a few places that do tours in the Nordegg area :)

Top Bottom