Info horberg-nordegg rail road ride

Dshanks

Reaction score
So I recently heard about this horberg"rockymountainhouse" to nordegg ride looking for any info involving this ride I've got a group All-In-Atv that is planning on doing this ride late spring of 2015 anyone that has done this ride or has info on it please reply with feedback

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A bunch of us usually do a ride around the last of May or first of June. If you like, I can send you a GPS map of route.

Wemac

Reaction score
I am also interested in this ride. Could you send me the map as well if it isn't to much trouble? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure thing guys. I'll try to clean up the tracks I have over my Christmas break.

Wemac

Reaction score
Thank you

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you guys know how many miles this trail would be one way? would it be possible to do it with a dog sled team at this time of year?

Of course, it can vary a bit depending on the route you take, but it's about 83km taking the most direct legal route. I have never been dog sledding, so I can't say for sure if it would work. Some of the hills may be a bit much. You may be able to bypass many of them but I wouldn't be the guy to suggest an alternate rout for you.

Last edited:

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the route cleaned up and exported to a .gpx file. PM me your e-mail addresses and I'll send you a copy.

I included a route of our 2011, 2013, and 2014 trips. I also have a cleaned up Rocky To Nordegg one way route with no year on it. The Kaboos waypoint is not actually the Kaboose, but it should be the trail entrance to get to the Kaboos. The mine tunnel is pretty cool - take a walk down there and walk through the tunnel (it's open on both ends).

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
do you guys know how many miles this trail would be one way? would it be possible to do it with a dog sled team at this time of year?

There are some steep hills where the bridges were removed. And like Dean I have never been on a dog sled. Might be a challenge

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i could get a copy of the trail map i would very much appreciate it.Itsounds like it would be a great family trip in the sxs'sdo you know if there is a place we could camp about half way and start from there?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i could get a copy of the trail map i would very much appreciate it.Itsounds like it would be a great family trip in the sxs'sdo you know if there is a place we could camp about half way and start from there?
Saunders is the best place to camp, then u can go towards nordegg or back towards rocky -horberg from there

Both good day trips, if u go to nordegg , quad up to the top of mount baldy... Good ride up to the top

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

No problem, I'll send a copy to anyone who PM's me their e-mail address. (The file is about 370K which is past the allowable limit to attach to this thread.)

Saunders is fairly close to half way and the trail passes right through it.

Rocky Rail Map.jpg

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Of course, it can vary a bit depending on the route you take, but it's about 83km taking the most direct legal route. I have never been dog sledding, so I can't say for sure if it would work. Some of the hills may be a bit much. You may be able to bypass many of them but I wouldn't be the guy to suggest an alternate rout for you.

Is 83kms from rocky to nordegg. Or horburg
to nordegg ?

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let me know when you would like to do the trip & i may be able to take you on a personal guided tour, i stop at everything noteable to tell you about it so it's about 10 or 11 hrs to get there. On the way home maybe 7 ish hrs, not much else to show you. As long as there is only a few peeps and under special conditions i may even show you the way thru the private / leased area that we always bypass. The whole trail is starting to get beat up and rutted very bad in spots from alot of use, but still passable . Hills would for sure be a concern with a dog team, otherwise probably a great time.

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No problem, I'll send a copy to anyone who PM's me their e-mail address. (The file is about 370K which is past the allowable limit to attach to this thread.)

Saunders is fairly close to half way and the trail passes right through it.

View attachment 180966

That's cool! Be nice to have a trail from Nordegg to Cadomin... Not sure if there r any parks in the way? I am going to research this... Would be cool to be able to do a huge loop from Nordegg to Cadomin or Robb...be a few day ride that's for sure.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's cool! Be nice to have a trail from Nordegg to Cadomin... Not sure if there r any parks in the way? I am going to research this... Would be cool to be able to do a huge loop from Nordegg to Cadomin or Robb...be a few day ride that's for sure.

Interesting idea. Let us know what you find.

Top Bottom