In reach

APEX 1

Reaction score
I am interested in buying the In Reach Explorer any one use this device and any suggestions on what plan to buy.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I have the orange one, it has gps. The yellow one is the same thing without gps. I love it, gives peace of mind when ur out in the boonies.They claim it has service anywhere on earth you can see the sky.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I have the yellow one. Works good. I only text with it as well. Used it a few times this summer out camping. Pair it with my phone.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the explorer from cycle works west (be here wed) they were going to bring in more for stock at their location and the Edmonton location. Very well priced IMO. No experience with the unit yet, but we leave Thursday. Fingers crossed it works out well.

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do not use mine for a tracking device. I only use the texting capability for messages and would use the SOS if a real emergency arose. I have the SE model.
I have researched the se and other one and most say buy se then get some sort of app for phone, as the explorer unit has a ****ty gps. If I get one it will be the se like Doug,

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the explorer and it works great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
Basically if you own a gps then get the InReach SE, if you want some gps qualities(not as great as a stand alone GPS unit) then get the explore. If you like to map your day the explore allows you to track down to 1 second, with the se you can only do every 10 minutes. The explore as well allows the tracking just to go to bluetooth to your phone so at the end of the day you can have your full track on your phone in earth mate app and it did not cost you anything. In the SE model every track goes through satellite so it cost you money or a bigger plan that cost more. With either of them the plans are changeable per month so you can go for the cheaper one and the next month go up if you want more usage, or down, cancel at anytime or just suspend service for 6 bucks a month. there is a 30 dollar activation so unless your not going to use it for 6 months the suspend is better than canceling

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Basically if you own a gps then get the InReach SE, if you want some gps qualities(not as great as a stand alone GPS unit) then get the explore. If you like to map your day the explore allows you to track down to 1 second, with the se you can only do every 10 minutes. The explore as well allows the tracking just to go to bluetooth to your phone so at the end of the day you can have your full track on your phone in earth mate app and it did not cost you anything. In the SE model every track goes through satellite so it cost you money or a bigger plan that cost more. With either of them the plans are changeable per month so you can go for the cheaper one and the next month go up if you want more usage, or down, cancel at anytime or just suspend service for 6 bucks a month. there is a 30 dollar activation so unless your not going to use it for 6 months the suspend is better than canceling

Dave can you tell us what the difference is between the "InReach" and the new Garmin InReach? I am having trouble finding a all the info to compare the differences between the two. I have had the InReach that pairs with my iPhone since it first came out, I love it but its starting to have problems pairing when its cold out so I'm looking for a new InReach.

Thanks

Last edited:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dave can you tell us what the difference is between the "InReach" and the new Garmin InReach? I am having trouble finding a all the info to compare the differences between the two. I have had the InReach that pairs with my iPhone since it first came out, I love it but its starting to have problems pairing when its cold out so I'm looking for a new InReach.

Thanks

InReach by Delorme partnered with Garmin.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
InReach by Delorme partnered with Garmin.

But it looks like Garmin has released their own device. Just wanted to know what the main difference is between the two devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went with discoverer so I could get used to it without costing me to use it every time. $36/month with tax. It's easy to change your plan later on. I do use tracks; I set it to record every hour in case I'm by myself and have an issue and I'm not able to hit SOS. That way they know where to find the body.

I've got the Inreach SE. I use my phone for maps and navigating.

Dragon4x4

Reaction score
I got the Orange one works awesome. I'm on the 36 buck plan, sends out a ping every 20 mins with my location and speed lol damnit. Send texts from my phone with the app.

I bought mine from MEC look for the sales, I got 20% off and also got the $50-70 something rebate they offered last year.

It was a good deal just over 300 for it with taxes.

MEC and Atmosphere both have them and they both go on sale keep your eyes open. Sled shops charge an arm and a leg for the dam things......

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow I'm pissed! Just bought an SE on boxing day as a few I had talked to in the industry said that they didn't see any new versions coming out and then Garmin releases them. Looks like the new ones have an actual GPS sized screen and I would have been able to combine two devices into one. fawk. Anyway if you want the old crap you can get it for under $300 shipped on amazon. Most sled shops charge out the ass for them just like they do with transceivers.

Top Bottom