Improving Home Made Sled Deck

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Hello, i'm looking at making a ramp for my home made sed deck. I want one that will fit under my deck, i will make rails under it so it slides under, can be a two piece ramp. I was thinking a 11 foot ramp. two 5.5' pieces. I will buy glides for the ramp as well. I was wondering what kind of design people use when making a ramp. What steel? thicknesses? I also want it reversible so that one can drive on with the quads. here's a picture with a nice one. But it's aluminum. I will be using steel, as i do not know how to weld aluminum. And since i don't, i wont trust my welds.
ramp_400.jpg

Here's a picture of what i dont want with my ramp. I do not find that safe with the ramp sticking out. I want it two pieces, and able to be bolted together with tools, and then slid in to my deck, and locked in. This picture also has the tail on it.

IMG_07971.jpg

Also, i never put a lip on the sides of the deck, which was a huge mistake when i finally got a sled on it. I was wondering how high are everyones? I would like something to back up the ski to. Here's a picture of a deck like mine with a lip on it.
sleddeck2.png

What kind of tail do you have on your decks? Mine is just a straight end out, with an area to hook the ramp to, which i had a crappy princess auto ramp but it was awful. How far down are yours? Is it a round pipe? Or square to hook on? The picture also has a tail on it as well.
2010-10-10_14-24-10_536.jpg

Does anyone have removable extensions? Because when i got the quad on it, there's no need to have the added length, but when i have the sled on it, theres a need. How did you guys work it out to have a strong enough extension but then able to slide in the ramps under it.

And lighting I want a more discrete lighting instead of the tabs i welded on to mount my lights. They're Large and get in the way, get covered in snow and sleet.
Here's my lights on my deck.

One last thing, what do people put on the back of their sleds for a red light/flag.

Sorry for the long post, just looking for some others experience.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I made my steel deck, I used rectangle tubing for the outside runners 1.5 x 3 x .125. Then I used 1 x 1 x .125 for across so the track has something to hook up to. As for the runners for the skis, I bent some 14 or 16 gauge plate all the way up with a .5" lip on each side so the skis have something to bump against for side to side. Also screwed on some superglides so I didnt have to flip it around. The deck is 8' x 8' and fits in a short box. Overall length of the 2 piece ramp was 11'. Ran it for 4 years until I bought an aluminum one from Marathon. Way nicer and lighter. For a light on the back of the sleds, I bought one of these and made a bracket. Blazer LED Magnetic Warning Light, Red: Automotive : Walmart.com Wors well and is bright.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
How much did it end up costing you to make the ramp? How did you make it so it hooks together? slid into each-other and then held together with a couple bolts?

Top Bottom