importing sleds from the US

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
especially when the current dollar is $96.25 u.s. !!!! i don't understand why they charge more, and the biggest culprit is bombardier, considering their sleds are built in canada, and bombardier is still getting lots of government grants!!!! Just my 2 cents

Thanks Ric, i could not have said it any better, im not here to bash the dealers, but maybe the dealers need to beat it into the manufactures heads that people would rather save 6k since they dont so warranty work half the time any way.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
especially when the current dollar is $96.25 u.s. !!!! i don't understand why they charge more, and the biggest culprit is bombardier, considering their sleds are built in canada, and bombardier is still getting lots of government grants!!!! Just my 2 cents

I go back to a story I posted a while back in another thread. Friend in Fernie bought his new windows in the US for what turned out to be 30% less after exchange and GST. They were built in Clagary and shipped to the US, with the trucks driving past his place in Fernie. So explain to me how in the end he can get them for 30% less stateside??!! Same as sleds, like Bomby....built in Canada, shipped to the US and sold in the US for less. WTF?!

It's happening with travel right now too. Canadians are getting soaked for travel costs. Friends that are close to the border are jumping across and getting equivalent travel packages for 50% less.

Apparently Canadians offset American corporate losses.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Man, dont even get me started on the travel thing...Calgary to Vegas on Westjet, big $79 sale, was around $300 after all the fees, 3 hr drive to calgary then around $14 a day to park...

Drove 4 hrs to Great Falls, free parking, and $57 each to fly to Vegas...We get hosed up here big time. Its tough when you want to support your local businesses but cant AFFORD to lol...

honda680manitoba

Reaction score
my friend helped me import a new quad and all that was needed was for the dealer to fax the paperwork 72 hours advance.

i still got warrenty on it but i cant bring it to a canadian dealership or else its void ( kinda stupid)

i had looked at bringing a used one in but there is a way bigger hastle to bring in compare to new

once u get to the border u have to pay ur taxes on it and they will give u a form indicating that u have 90 day to safety and another form with ur import fee that u need to phone in

after i was done with everything it cost me about a $1000 but it is still cheaper than buying a new one here

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welcome to free trade. Volume at a lower price is smart business. That's why we have been sending our best soft-wood lumber down there cheaper than you can buy it here. Then we buy it back in the form of finished products for double the price.

I bought my 08 doo from the states. I got the first updates done after a fight with brp. They stonewalled me for several weeks but eventually caved and paid the bill. I argued that I ride in both countries and should be able to buy and service anywhere I want. The driveshaft was also going to be paid for after a nice email from a lawyer was sent to them, but the local dealers would not rush to fix it. Of course, they wanted to serve their customers first. The US dealers later had to change their policies and we were required to provide a valid US address for them to sell to us.

The good thing is I rode for a season and got almost all my money out. My buddies were choked when the prices were adjusted and 08's started going for 4k less at the end of the season. (Riverside was selling them for $9600 new while two buddies paid $13,800 only 6 months earlier).

I don't mind the drive and if you save a few thousand dollars, I can afford to drop a new crate engine in. I would love to support local dealers, but they have proven that a customer like me that only buys one or two sleds every couple years is not their top priority. I will buy local if they are close in price, but if I'm talking $1500 or more, I'm going for a drive.

Top Bottom