importing sleds from the US

trailblazer

Reaction score
Whats the ins and outs on bringing a sled back home.Difficult,easy.Waranty,are they transferable?what about paperwork at the boarder?a used sled is easiest i imagine,just bill of sale?i've delt with brokers at the border before,what about customs?are there taxes,gst other expenses?will most dealers work on 'em?

trailblazer

Reaction score
i was reading that a stock sled was easier to import than a mod.,why and whats the papaerwork,would they know the diff?,not that i'd lie or forget to tell 'em.Or is it with brp and warranty?

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have heard that canadain dealers brp will not honor warranty on us sleds not sure which web site i saw that on

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have brought a bunch back only used, you cannot bring new. Pm me and I can fill you in. You can bring modded sleds.

sledidiot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
all sleds would be used!!! lol i do know for a fact that yammaha will not warrenty a states sled. its not hard to bring them across just a pia, pay gst at border. call your local dealer and ask if you will be the first sled fixed or last!!!!! bet i can guess.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will impart my awesome dealer knowledge on you!

Arctic Cat has implemented a policy wherein; if a customer brings a Arctic Cat unit (new or used) into Canada and during our service we run the serial number, and it pops as FROM USA, we are able to let Arctic Cat know. What they do with that information is contact the dealer, charge them 10% of the total cost of the unit, and then has the ability to do what they want with the money, often it will be a credit to the dealers in the area who lost the sale. ALSO, Bringing across an Arctic Cat WILL void your warranty.

Yamaha wont penalize dealers, but warranty is void once a unit crosses over.

I am sure BRP and Polaris have similar policies.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes they do, but when I have done it I don't worry about the warranty.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well here goes....

1-pay through paypal, try not to go through western union because your not covered if it is a scam or if the guy wants to scr#$%^ you.

2- Keep all records with you of your payments and transfers, border may want to see them if they don't believe that is what you paid for it.

3-Need to Fax Bill of sale, the Title of sled, clearence letter(recall) to the border of where the sled will be crossing. This has to be 72hrs before sled gets there.

4- When the sled gets to the border you will need to pay for the gst and they will give you RIV paperwork when you get home to go online and pay the 204.00 to them.

5-Don't try to bullch!t them on anything (price you paid) or anything else because they will send you or machine back to the usa and good luck trying it again.

6-You will need to get a recall letter from a dealer for that sled, skidoo dealers here charge 250.00 for it. So I get it from a us dealer where the sled was bought from and never had problems for it.

7-If the sled is modded inside don't worry, I just brought back an 2006 mach zx with the complete nos set up and clutching on it and never had problems.

8-Then you go get it or get somebody to bring it back for you.

9- Then you will get riv paperwork sent to you and then you go to canadian tire and get it inspected, just saftey stuf, they will check these thing are working, lights, kill switch, and tether cord works and brakes. Then they sign off the paper work and they send copy to riv and in couple weeks youwill get new info plate for sled.

10- then you can get insurance and plates then ride. Good Luck...

11- Canadian Border guys/girls are a-holes so have all your chittt together they like to make themself look like wannabee cops.....

saz

Reaction score
Well I have brought 4 sled in the past four years from the us, it is very easy. Web site RIV or message me and I can step you through it
You pay for inspection fee some 250 bucks and gst.
Warranty is void unless it is a safety recall, then they will cover it.
Buying on from a dealer in Canada is a good thing but I bought two sled for the price of one would of cost in canada - a phazer and a Nytro for the price of a nytro. You decide it has plus points and neg points. It works for me.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we are able to let Arctic Cat know. What they do with that information is contact the dealer, charge them 10% of the total cost of the unit, and then has the ability to do what they want with the money, often it will be a credit to the dealers in the area who lost the sale.

So if I read this right, if I bring my used USA Cat(properly imported) to a Canadian dealer, they will try and charge the US dealer 10%? Or is this just on new sleds?

??????????????????????????????

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So if I read this right, if I bring my used USA Cat(properly imported) to a Canadian dealer, they will try and charge the US dealer 10%? Or is this just on new sleds?

??????????????????????????????

ONLY on new units. This is put in place to help the Canadian dealers, cause if an American dealer knows he faces these penalties he is less likely to sell to a canuck!

Support your local dealers dang it!!!! LOL

Last edited:

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Ally, I do agree with you to support your dealers, I have bought 4 new sleds since late 07, and when I am looking at getting a certain sled and cannot find it here or they are priced way to high I go south to get it. Thats just me...

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Ally, I do agree with you to support your dealers, I have bought 4 new sleds since late 07, and when I am looking at getting a certain sled and cannot find it here or they are priced way to high I go south to get it. Thats just me...

I'm just buggin all you guys. I would prefer to see everyone buy stuff from me, but thats just not plausible, there are lots of reasons to buy from the states. As long as everyone is happy with what they've got, then thats what matters!

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ONLY on new units. This is put in place to help the Canadian dealers, cause if an American dealer knows he faces these penalties he is less likely to sell to a canuck!

Support your local dealers dang it!!!! LOL

Heres a solution, :rant:STOP GOUGING CANADIANS THEN:rant:. Not trying to beat a broken horse here, but if the canadian dealers want more bussiness, then why dont they go to the manufacture and get them to lower costs to canadians to match US pricing??? It cant be that hard if they sell to the US for that much cheaper, then why cant they sell to us that much cheaper??? Just my 2 cents, but i know the next sled i buy will be from the US, not to worried about warranty as i fix just about everything myslef anyway cause most dealers blame the problem as abuse and such and wont cover it.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
heres a solution, :rant:stop gouging canadians then:rant:. Not trying to beat a broken horse here, but if the canadian dealers want more bussiness, then why dont they go to the manufacture and get them to lower costs to canadians to match us pricing??? It cant be that hard if they sell to the us for that much cheaper, then why cant they sell to us that much cheaper??? Just my 2 cents, but i know the next sled i buy will be from the us, not to worried about warranty as i fix just about everything myslef anyway cause most dealers blame the problem as abuse and such and wont cover it.

especially when the current dollar is $96.25 u.s. !!!! i don't understand why they charge more, and the biggest culprit is bombardier, considering their sleds are built in canada, and bombardier is still getting lots of government grants!!!! Just my 2 cents

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Oh boy...this is the biggest struggle ever...

Support my local dealer (who isnt very local over an hour away) and pay 11k-14k for the sled I want or...run down south and get the same sled for 7500-7900...

Yes my time is worth alot, and yes there will/could be warranty issues, but how in the world can a sled be built in Canada, imported to the US and then CHEAPER in the US...

something is very wrong here...

I am in Medicine Hat and there are tons of guys here going south as we are so close to the border...It has KILLED our local dealers. We used to have Arctic Cat, Ski Doo, and Polaris, and Yamaha here in town. Right now, only the Polaris dealer is really doing anything. They have some good inventory, but wont budge even $100 on their prices. Yesterday I had full intention to drop about 18k for a 2009 RMK 700 (demo) and a 2008 RMK Shift 600 also a demo. I offered $500 less than asking on the pair, and they said no...I dont give a crap if there prices are 'rock bottom' (they arent) but if you have a customer willing to spend that kind of money in this economy, I would be willing to drop $500 bucks...Pissed me right off...

Wonder why we go to the US...

On a side note...I have called some 'other' non local dealers, Dons, TNT, Riverside, Thomas Motors, and had really great support from them...go figure. I think I need to set up a 'real' dealership here in town...

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said guys. It just bugs me and bomber is the worst. Considering OUR taxes bailed them out how many times. I know every dealer has to make a living, but maybe these dealers/ manufactures need a reality check.

Top Bottom