Impaired driving....will it ever end!!??

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
News tonight had a story on the traffic fatalities in the province. We are about to have the "deadliest summer on record"! RCMP feel it's only going to get worse as summer is not over yet. STARS flew to 25 accidents this past weekend. That's 3X the norm! By July we had 43 traffic fatalities in the province. This past weekend there were 5 kille din Glenwood, 3 near Leduc, and 4 near Bonnyville. These are kids and aldults. Really SAD part is that alcohol was involved in ALL OF THEM, and the majority of the other fatalities this summer have been a result of someone drving under the influence. It's insane. I have a young dughter now and I am almost afraid to hit the road with her in the vehicle for fear of some impaired driver hitting us. If there have been that many impaired drivers causing fatalities, think of how many are out there that don't get caught or don't get in accidents. VERY SCARY!!!

In Edmonton we had 10 traffic fatalities this time last year. We are now at 21with almost half being alcohol related.

Think about it.....please.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very scart. we need a real justice system though before it will ever stop. Put these losers in jail min. 1 year starting immediatly after they are caught, no waiting till court, ban driving afterwards for another 5 yrs. for first offence and go from there. If nothing else it will create alot of jobs,from lost due to incarceration,but also for the jails, wow my idea also stimulates the economy. But seriously we need to get serious with these guys before it will ever stop. just my 2 cents.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
very scart. we need a real justice system though before it will ever stop. Put these losers in jail min. 1 year starting immediatly after they are caught, no waiting till court, ban driving afterwards for another 5 yrs. for first offence and go from there. If nothing else it will create alot of jobs,from lost due to incarceration,but also for the jails, wow my idea also stimulates the economy. But seriously we need to get serious with these guys before it will ever stop. just my 2 cents.

Jails cost money...... In the event someone is hurt or killed Jail is a must, in the case of being caught I think large fines and community service (lots).
Unfortunately our justice system costs major cash and is flawed, it should be turned into a money making venture. your debt to society should be repaid productively even most criminals have skills which could be put to use to benifit our society as a whole...... but that is a whole other topic.... As far as impaired drivers maybe suitable community service would be to assist with publicly funded programs such as MADD or victims services which are always underfunded and understaffed and as a side they would get to see first hand the pain and suffering thier choices can have on others.

Just sayin.....:d

intmid8or!

Problem Child
Reaction score
Jails cost money...... In the event someone is hurt or killed Jail is a must, in the case of being caught I think large fines and community service (lots).
Unfortunately our justice system costs major cash and is flawed, it should be turned into a money making venture. your debt to society should be repaid productively even most criminals have skills which could be put to use to benifit our society as a whole...... but that is a whole other topic.... As far as impaired drivers maybe suitable community service would be to assist with publicly funded programs such as MADD or victims services which are always underfunded and understaffed and as a side they would get to see first hand the pain and suffering thier choices can have on others.

Just sayin.....:d

Lawyers also cost money, anyone with some of it and a good lawyer is able to get off on alot of the charges....

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Problem is there are all these ideas on getting tough and punishment AFTER the fact. By the time these impaired drivers hit the courts they have already caused the pain, suffering and death. Take a licence away and these guys are back out driving without licences or insurance. Spend a day in traffic court....it's ridiculous. Not to mention the technicalities that these guys get off with. Latest was a guy that got off becuase he was detained in the back of the police car "before" the officer determined he was impaired. Apparently an officer can't do that. Way to go justice system!

ftguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's very sad that there is no sure way of stopping these people from driving, even after the fact (21 days to get your affairs in order) The education processes are in place, we hear it all the time but that only get to us the morally concience. I can tell you as a member of the family that lost the 3 family members near leduc last month that it is very frustrating and a lot of anger that is generated, but I don't have the answers either. I will tell you now that I will make every effort to stop friends from driving a motorized vehicle when impaired and if unsuccesful take what ever means neccesary to stop another innocent life lost. A couple brews during the day I can live with when out on the trails, but when we get to five or six then drive our machines and then drive home.....not good. Please understand I am not trying to preach but save people the pain of losing loved ones....it sux. Please take the time and effort to convince friends and family members not to drink and drive "anything" to prevent further losses.

my 2 cents

Last edited:

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like the jerkoff in calgary that drove his cement truck pissed and killed 5 people his jerk lawyer wants him to serve 2 years house arrest he should get a least 15 years for each death he told the judge he was sorry he was sorry because he got caught

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like the jerkoff in calgary that drove his cement truck pissed and killed 5 people his jerk lawyer wants him to serve 2 years house arrest he should get a least 15 years for each death he told the judge he was sorry he was sorry because he got caught

pretty much every asian country he would. Gotta agree with that statement. The people that he killed never got a choice for the fate they received. Firm beleiver in the eye for an eye statement.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
....I will tell you now that I will make every effort to stop friends from driving a motorized vehicle when impaired and if unsuccesful take what ever means neccesary to stop another innocent life lost.....

RIP to your loved ones.

And I totally agree with this statement above ^^^. I'll send them home in a body bag before I let them go home behind the wheel.

All too sad - we were rear ended by a drunk when I was younger - minor scrapes and bruises, totalled our station wagon with his car - me and my mom were lucky to walk away.

Then just over two years ago this happened - One guy that works for a service company we use all the time was not as lucky. His kid had just graduated high school a few weeks earlier and had just completed his second day of his job, he was riding his bike home after work when a drunk driver ran him over. He is completely paralyzed and will require care for the rest of his life. He was 17 yrs old. His dad is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. Very tragic story.

Drunk that hit him just turned 18 yrs old the previous day, in fact he didn't turn 18 until that day but the bar let him in because it was going to be midnight and he would be 18 anyway. "allegedly" - He drank all night and then when the bar closed, he went to "sleep" at a friends house and then they woke up at some point mid day and started drinking again. At some point in early evening he decided he should drive home.

Whatever punishment he received (and believe me it wasn't nearly enough)....will never be enough justice to replace the now shattered and broken life of a young man in the prime of his life, and his family.

I have watched his father become a different person in the past two years from the once very happy man that stood before me. Makes me sad that I knew him before, because the sparkle of life and joy that he had in his eyes is now gone.

Tragic.

Think about that before you, or anyone you know, get behind the wheel after even a couple of drinks. It only takes one decision to determine a different fate for many lives - so many people do not realize that the life they destroy might not be their own.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

He should be put under a 1/4" steel plate and let the victims of the family back a loaded cement truck over him as slowly as possible. He should be given medical care to keep him alive and awake so that his pain lasts as long as humanly possible.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda similar thing happened a couplle years back,we'll say 10, aI was in court,can't remember why, but a young girl was 17 at the time 6mths before 18 i think, was parked at the intersection of hwy 16 and golf course rd. in Stony, was going west and turning south across traffic, waited for traffic to clear light went red traffic stopped. She proceded, car came from behind the stopped cars and t boned her. parylized for life shoulders down.. turned out it was the guys 5th impaired had no ins., licence or reg. Not sure what he got but it was no where near the life sentence the innocent bystander got.

sumsupport

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Not to mention the technicalities that these guys get off with. Latest was a guy that got off becuase he was detained in the back of the police car "before" the officer determined he was impaired. Apparently an officer can't do that. Way to go justice system!

News report I heard said that "guy" was a school bus driver with a load of kids. Someone reported him on a cell phone, the officer took him off the bus so the kids wouldn't have to witness everything.

SICK, SICK justice system.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few weeks of garbage picking in orange jumpsuits along ditches. Sometime embarrasment factor is more of a deterrent than a fine. Like "johns" getting their name in the paper for picking up "ladies-of-the-evening"

S

sldgy

A few weeks of garbage picking in orange jumpsuits along ditches. Sometime embarrasment factor is more of a deterrent than a fine. Like "johns" getting their name in the paper for picking up "ladies-of-the-evening"

One night of being Big Bubba's biotch, problem solved!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 more fatlaities in 3 days. 2 provincial and one here in the city. Investigations have not concluded whether alcohol was a factor or not.

It's become insane out there!!!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is sickening. A huge part is the system, but stupid people are more to blame. EXACTLY the reason why Canada needs the death penalty back. Think the guy China put to death over killing someone driving drunk will do it again? Don't think so! It will not fix the problem, but I think a extremely harsh punishment like this would make many people think twice. Three strike rule would take care of driving drunk, driving without lisence, insurance, etc.

I feel sorry for anyone who has lost someone to drinking and driving, it is just terrible. I sadly don't think there is a end in sight to this problem soon, but hope I am wrong. Slowly people are waking up and want harsher penaltys but still to many people with their head in the sand thinking there is no problem.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is sad to see how education is not the answer.
Ages of drunk drivers is young and old.
How people brag about not getting caught.

The drunk driver numbers are up and accidents as well.
Maybe a convicted impared driver needs to wear a id type tag so when people see them in stores or on the street we know who they are.

Not allowed to drink or purchase while wearing id.
Wear it for a few years after you get your lic. back as well.
Make them feel like crap..

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
.......yet another alcohol related traffic fatality in our city. It's out of control! I have never seen it like this in my lifetime.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my opionion if you kill some one while driving impaired you should be charged with murder,I like the labeling idea but that should be for pedaphiles a rapiest.just my thoughts.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my opionion if you kill some one while driving impaired you should be charged with murder,I like the labeling idea but that should be for pedaphiles a rapiest.just my thoughts.

Ya but murders who are convicted for the most part get off with nothing! How many get like only less then 5 years then are free? The whole legal system is a frickening joke. Trying someone with murder isn't enough. Something needs to be done so that there is ZERO chance they can EVER do anything like that again.

Look at that 17yr old who stabbed and killed his girlfriend he got what 2 years? And tried as a minor so he won't even have a record after. What a fu*king joke! I know a lot of people who are so upset over that, he will get a worse punishment when he's out of jail.

Top Bottom