I'll admit it - really all the 2013's are wicked

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was looking for some new HMK boots as mine are like 5 yrs old and need replacing
the Yammi/Cat dealer USED to carry HMK (found out yesterday they dont anymore)
so still on the search for a good deal on some HMK team boots ......

so i started looking at the new Yammi Nytro's and Cat's
Maybe i was living under a rock last yr but never really gave the new cat's a chance
have to admit - from an esthetics stand point .... they look bad a$$
dont know much about them, but id ride one for sure

the prices on the Nytros seem to have come down, no?
I saw a 2012 hold over MTX for like $11,XXX ...... to boot I asked about the MPI 180 kit .. an additional $4300 installed
wow ... 180+ HP Nytro for a tad more than my FR ... thats pretty cool
if i lived w a mountain range in my backyard (like willy ;) ), pretty sure id spend the cash here ... maybe....

and the Pro's, well they speak for themselves .....

so in the end, if you have $12k + to spend on the latest and greatest ... really can't go wrong with any offerings this year
and HONESTLY had me re-thinking my choice this year
but FOR ME - a 165+HP semi-lightweight, strong, proven chassi/engine, 146" track sort of cross over flatland/mountain sled ... the XP FreeRide wins

PS - what I'd like to see - Yamaha to come to the table, dropping 70-110 lbs w a NA 4stroke pushing 165-175HP, on a RE-INVENTED Nytro chassi
with tracks available in the 141-146, 151-154, 159-163 range
I seriously think they would have a market for that sled ... and would sell a sh*t ton of them (personally id be all over it)
I have no brand loyalty, as I have owned all 4 OEM's

call me crazy .....

remember that 180 nytro isnt going to outperform ANY stock new model 2 stroke 800. be on par absolutely but comes with the additional weight. but also extra reliability. get into the 200+hp kits then they really shine, but again reliablilty vs weight take your pick

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think where we're at now with regards to the stock sleds, is that all the mountain machines are better than most of the the riders. 10 years ago, a better machine got your average rider further and higher. Nowadays, the average machine can far outperform the average rider. An expert rider needs nothing on these new machines to be a star in the hills. This is good and bad I suppose. Lots of newbs out there trying to climb hills they have no business being on...but it's sure nice for an experienced rider to not have to dump a pile more cash into a machine to go have fun.

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think where we're at now with regards to the stock sleds, is that all the mountain machines are better than most of the the riders. 10 years ago, a better machine got your average rider further and higher. Nowadays, the average machine can far outperform the average rider. An expert rider needs nothing on these new machines to be a star in the hills. This is good and bad I suppose. Lots of newbs out there trying to climb hills they have no business being on...but it's sure nice for an experienced rider to not have to dump a pile more cash into a machine to go have fun.

Dave I could NOT AGREE MORE!
the backcountry is a BEAUTIFUL place and sleds these days will allow us to see places that no human woud be able to see first hand up close
and some of the yahoos with pockets deeper than their head is full of brains, can go to places they have no business being

they are making the sleds to get us there, but you still can't fix stupid

remember that 180 nytro isnt going to outperform ANY stock new model 2 stroke 800. be on par absolutely but comes with the additional weight. but also extra reliability. get into the 200+hp kits then they really shine, but again reliablilty vs weight take your pick

agreed
i think that Nytro still needs another $10k tossed at it EVEN WITH the MPI 180 kit, to even come close to a factory Pro or XM/XP
but if Yamaha can figure out a way to get us a NA sled in the 165-175HP range and get on a serious diet .... I think the other OEM's would have their work cut out for them

Last edited:

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca

Total agreement Dave

I have had 4 sleds now, and im totally convinced I cant outride the capabilities of any of them. I dont get out enough, dont spend the hours required to develop as a rider, and have a short season even when I do have time to get out. I try not going anywhere that Im not comfortable, but as a relatively new mtn rider, darn near everywhere is uncomfortable haha.

Truth be told if there was a 250cc mtn sled, thats what I should be on...

Last edited:

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Are you kidding me its a Yamaha it will spank the 800 2 stroke. Just ask some of the people on here.

enis750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you kidding me its a Yamaha it will spank the 800 2 stroke. Just ask some of the people on here.

seriously LHF ... were not here to compare c*ck sizes
were not discussing "whats better, this or that" .... cause we all know your rainbow brite sled is the sh*t

Meyer907

Reaction score
I have to agree with the original post. I have a leftover 12 Freeride 146 somewhere in WA being dropped off at the barge hopefully tomorrow otherwise I am waiting another week. That being said it was a hard choice and even now still wonder if I made the right choice for me. Skidoo got an unfair advantage with the fact that we have no dealers here but we do have two authorized skidoo mechanics. I do most of my own work but when my 09 Polaris 700 has electrical issues it leaves me guessing a lot.

I was all over the place with the decision right up till the last second. For me it came down to the Pro, XM, and the Freeride, the Freeride got the node because of local mechanics, 800 etech and the shocks.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Total agreement Dave

I have had 4 sleds now, and im totally convinced I cant outride the capabilities of any of them. I dont get out enough, dont spend the hours required to develop as a rider, and have a short season even when I do have time to get out. I try not going anywhere that Im not comfortable, but as a relatively new mtn rider, darn near everywhere is uncomfortable haha.

Truth be told if there was a 250cc mtn sled, thats what I should be on...

Do I have a deal for you! I'll sell you my old Bravo 250 Trapper.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha and cat may "look cool" but unfortunately they do not build a mountain sled. I'm sure they are fast in the wheat stubble though.

so this is a "mountain only" site? hmmm .... coulda fooled me
maybe MOSTLY mountain riders post here, but there is a fair share of us that dont live that close and only get out there a few times/year
and you cant tell me that esthetics has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what you ride .. your not fooling anyone
might not be the ONLY reason for sure, but it does have some impact

especially coming from a guy that posts his WHITE Oakley sunglases in his sig ..... just sayin

;)

lol But Enis750 you said it your self.... the turbo is ony $3800 meaning its not a mountain sled from the factory hahaha it needs mods to work similar to Pro and XM

now as it goes for the cat,, I dont need to say anything I do feel sorry for cat guys bahahahhaha

p.s. I really doubt JHurkot gives a fawk about the asthetic's of his sled..... he plans to rub tree's 8 hours a day!!!! where's my white shades at??:??

all in fun man!!! but really the cat??? ugggg

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol But Enis750 you said it your self.... the turbo is ony $3800 meaning its not a mountain sled from the factory hahaha it needs mods to work similar to Pro and XM

now as it goes for the cat,, I dont need to say anything I do feel sorry for cat guys bahahahhaha

p.s. I really doubt JHurkot gives a fawk about the asthetic's of his sled..... he plans to rub tree's 8 hours a day!!!! where's my white shades at??:??

all in fun man!!! but really the cat??? ugggg

But the turbo Yamaha would last longer than three doos so if you could put 4k into your doo to make it last 10000k without a rebuild would you?

As for the cat well if you can't make a cat mountain sled keep up with a doo or a poo your just not much of a rider imo

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another educated Doo owner. Trust me, I'm not brand loyal at all but it's funny listening to some of you "diehards". Lol

But the turbo Yamaha would last longer than three doos so if you could put 4k into your doo to make it last 10000k without a rebuild would you?

As for the cat well if you can't make a cat mountain sled keep up with a doo or a poo your just not much of a rider imo

hahaha I was just poking,,,, as it goes for yammy yes they can be built to be the most hp no questions asked.... and reliable!!! In a perfect world I would have a light weight 2 stroke and 350hp monster just for fun if my budget permitted

back to the cat.... I have never riden a newer one but they had troubles getting up the trail I was reading??? lol

at the end of the day I also love them all and I am not loyal per say... I almost jumped to a Pro but figured I would stay with the more challenging less flickable Doo.... lets hope the belts dont melt off

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are all so close its 90% rider nowadays. I ride with doos and poos but they are following me more than I am following them. But then again I am willing to crash or get stuck trying ch!t so I think I'm just the ginnie pig so to speak.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in there today, they do have a few pairs of boots but the smaller sizes and not a great selection of jackets. Only one Recon jacket but a few of the other styles.

Great. The Motorfirst dealer doesn't have Motorfirst products. The Skidoo dealer doesn't have Skidoo products (XM X's delayed til late November/early December). I can't help but think we are winning here.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are all so close its 90% rider nowadays. I ride with doos and poos but they are following me more than I am following them. But then again I am willing to crash or get stuck trying ch!t so I think I'm just the ginnie pig so to speak.

x2 buddy,,, Im always willing to ginnie!!!!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great. The Motorfirst dealer doesn't have Motorfirst products. The Skidoo dealer doesn't have Skidoo products (XM X's delayed til late November/early December). I can't help but think we are winning here.

WTF? DELAY ON XM'S??? is this true??

my ship is sinkinggggg......

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love all the new stuff coming out these days. Huge difference as Dave said from 10 years ago. Fawk I just got rid of my 6 yr old quad for a new one and there is a huge difference even in those. I saw an xm today for the first time and liked it. I wish my freeride boards were the same. Even the gear has come a long way and is working well.

kyle019

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If Yamaha brought a 2 stroke 800 to the table in a new, light weight chassis I'd love to see how it'd perform in the hills. What surprises me about Yamaha is they still produce 2 stroke motocross bikes (in a 4 stroke world to racers) but they stopped making 2 stroke sleds in a world where 2 stroke machines dominate the mountains.. And they make a solid 2 stroke engine in there bikes!

Top Bottom