I'll admit it - really all the 2013's are wicked

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why anyone would accept the fact that you have to rebuild your engine every 2500-4000km is beyond me. As for a 800 2 stroke I really don't think yamaha will ever build a 2 stroke again. Even in the bike world the 250 2 stroke is soon to be extinct. Ride what you like all 4 build extremely good sleds, to meet everyones wants. JMO

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
same goes to say when you take a stock yamaha in the mountains... whats the point?
I would rather re-do my top end every 2-3 years on my 2 smoke, and enjoy the nimbleness of one, than a stock 4 thumper stocker...and be scared to open the hood., and not have as much fun... stock wise.
as for the 180 turbo kit, no, they kill the 2 strokes for power, my friend tagatree has one. it's a blast, for about a half hour, then he can have it back.
it just makes you a gun shy rider in the trees, especially if there are vulnerable tree wells. is no fun in our group.
if i was 15 years younger and in better shape, i might consider a t4s, but stock... come on, its not a true fun ride stock... in the mountains.

jussayin'

Why anyone would accept the fact that you have to rebuild your engine every 2500-4000km is beyond me. As for a 800 2 stroke I really don't think yamaha will ever build a 2 stroke again. Even in the bike world the 250 2 stroke is soon to be extinct. Ride what you like all 4 build extremely good sleds, to meet everyones wants. JMO

kyle019

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned both 2 stroke and 4 stroke machines (dirtbikes) and honestly I gotta say I like the simplicity of a 2 stroke. Less maintainance believe it or not! All I did with my 2 stroke was change the tranny oil every month, clean the air filter and mix gas. With my 4 stroke there was more moving parts, more stuff to break. Had to change oil just like on my 2 smoker, but had to change an oil filter too. Had to also clean and re-adjust exhaust valves lots too. Rebuilt my 2 strokes every 2 years just cuz. It's cheap to rebuild and maintain a 2 stroke for sure. When time came to rebuild my 4 stroke, I almost lost it when I got the bill! Sure it lasted a year and a bit longer than my 2 stroke did, but id sooner have simplicity and lightweight over reliability and extra cost to maintain, and extra weight..

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've owned both 2 stroke and 4 stroke machines (dirtbikes) and honestly I gotta say I like the simplicity of a 2 stroke. Less maintainance believe it or not! All I did with my 2 stroke was change the tranny oil every month, clean the air filter and mix gas. With my 4 stroke there was more moving parts, more stuff to break. Had to change oil just like on my 2 smoker, but had to change an oil filter too. Had to also clean and re-adjust exhaust valves lots too. Rebuilt my 2 strokes every 2 years just cuz. It's cheap to rebuild and maintain a 2 stroke for sure. When time came to rebuild my 4 stroke, I almost lost it when I got the bill! Sure it lasted a year and a bit longer than my 2 stroke did, but id sooner have simplicity and lightweight over reliability and extra cost to maintain, and extra weight..
Difference between maintenance on a 4 stroke dirtbike vs a 4 stroke sled is night and day.

GranTurismo

Reaction score
But the turbo Yamaha would last longer than three doos so if you could put 4k into your doo to make it last 10000k without a rebuild would you?

As for the cat well if you can't make a cat mountain sled keep up with a doo or a poo your just not much of a rider imo

You buy a nytro for 12k you need to invest 4k for a turbo right out of the gate to even mildy compete with an 800 smoker(you'd still be disappointed the bush) or you buy a Doo/poo for 12 k and have to rebuild it every three years (doubtful). So by simple math that 4 grand you saved on a turbo buys you 4 engine rebuilds..so in 12 years the nytro will start saving you money..does anyone plan on having a '13 sled in 2024? Don't think so.. And even with a turbo nytro you still have a lesser sled that is still way to heavy. On any note have fun and ride fellas

Top Bottom