If anyone has to ask about avy conditions on here...

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should stay out of the backcountry, PERIOD UNTIL.....

**you know about your proper resources in getting your avy info**

Sure you can come on here and ask away, But if you can't even find out the conditions on your own, are you even prepared to act upon and do a self rescue?

I realize the conditions can change from hill to hill, but that is still something that I would not rely on from anything but a first hand source.

I suggest you take an Avalanche Skills Training level 1 course.

I know this should be in the Avalanche section, but many do not go there, or even realize there is such a section.

They are at the most risk.

Sorry for the rant, but we all share the consequences to some extent.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good post, CUSO!! It does boggle my mind sometimes when that thread pops up every once in awhile....

I try to promote the AST 1 course whenever I can, it's a life changer for sure. I hope more people are getting the message out there in light of the BAD snow conditions for most of B.C. right now.....

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really!!! you actually have a problem with people looking for info on the avy situation if it bothers you to read those posts so much get and walk away from the computer.:realmad:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really!!! you actually have a problem with people looking for info on the avy situation if it bothers you to read those posts so much get and walk away from the computer.:realmad:

There is a website... I will give you 2... no 3 guesses einstein...:rolleyes: I will give you a hint, there is 2 in my sig.

It is time for us snowmobilers to be responsible for finding their own info FIRST HAND... Then they really know.

One question, if I posted this in the avy section, would you have read it??

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i check the avy section i know what goes on in the back country.just makes you look like a dick for raggin on people for asking questions you need a hobby more suited to your lack of patience and gray matter

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what cuso is asying is...

if your posting a thread about what the avy conditions are like for the upcoming weekend on a wednesday.....you shouldnt be going.

its one of those "if you have to ask" questions.

its good to see people proactive and looking for information but at the same time if you think reading a bulletin or asking someone on a tuesday morning about the upcoming weekend your just not understanding the information being handed to you.

look at the latest avalanche bulletin the morning before you ride. ( yes these are updated daily now ) read the text below the bulletin photos because thats where the real information resides. from that information go out riding and make your decisions. find a small hill and cut it to peices to see if you can make anything move that wont result in a burial. look for natural signs keep your eyes and ears open. watch what others are doing and what results from it.

a devastating avalanche could happen on a monday and the conditions on the friday could be low. its just a matter of weather and time. that being said there is a persistant weak layer just above ground level in the north columbia which has the possibility to release with the right trigger and wiill most likely stick around for the rest of the season.

asking questions doesnt do anyone any harm but best to get the information from local riders or avalanche experts closer to your date of departure.

Last edited:

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love the midnight posts asking about conditions for riding the following morning :eek:

It's good that peeps are asking on one hand (better than not at all :dunno:)....but on the other they should be watching the conditions daily for the week before they ride and seeing how it's changing. This would include the weather as the snow, wind and temps are what effects the conditions on a daily basis.

I actually check them every eve or morning thoroughly through the season to see how it's been changing day to day whether I'm riding that day or not. It's good to learn how the different weather patterns change the snowpack and to watch how that affects the danger rating.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i check the avy section i know what goes on in the back country.just makes you look like a dick for raggin on people for asking questions you need a hobby more suited to your lack of patience and gray matter

I agree with Cuso and Maxwell...It's not so much we don't like questions, it's the point that if you have to come on a forum and have people tell you what the avy conditions presently are, instead of you being able to educate yourself with all the info that's available, you may be incapable of putting batteries in a beacon let alone rescue someone with it. Sort of like asking how long of boot laces you should buy. (Gotta say, that one blew me away!):d:beer:

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sort of like asking how long of boot laces you should buy. (Gotta say, that one blew me away!)
????????????? if they are asking questions they need help telling people their not smart enough to go backcountry wont stop them may embarrass them into not asking what they need to know this forum is a tool sledders use to find out info on whats happening whats going on and how are the conditions telling people their not smart enough only leaves a bad taste in their mouth jmo

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
jeesh what the heck is wrong with asking a few questions about conditions i would sooner have somebody asking a question about an area that they might not know much about and yet someone on here knows the area and what the conditions are....
you can go riding in the crowsnest pass and not have an issue on the north side yet the south side could be tricky ... lets use the forums for what they are intended for and thats information... if you get upset cause someone asks the questions dont try and discourage people form asking questions ... afterall if you dont know the answer isnt it better to ask

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your right ask away.

however a visit to avalanche.ca

and a phone call to your local riding area rep should produce all the answers you need.

So, since you ride more than anyone on here, even Curtis, are you going to be our local rep and give us your number?:d

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL

that may be true but he has WAY more avalanche training and experience than i do.

my avalancvhe knowledge would classify me as a "newbie" in comparison

snopro59

Reaction score
jeesh what the heck is wrong with asking a few questions about conditions i would sooner have somebody asking a question about an area that they might not know much about and yet someone on here knows the area and what the conditions are....
you can go riding in the crowsnest pass and not have an issue on the north side yet the south side could be tricky ... lets use the forums for what they are intended for and thats information... if you get upset cause someone asks the questions dont try and discourage people form asking questions ... afterall if you dont know the answer isnt it better to ask

I agree, avalance.ca covers fairly large areas. What is wrong with asking a specific question about generally how safe it is to ride in for example Frisby and Boulder at Revy? There are many riding spots in particular people are interested in. There are also many people on here that ride these areas everyday. What is the point of the "Conditions" threads if we aren't supposed to ask and just read the reports.

I thought that was what the forums were for......sharing information? I'll go ride in Yellowstone if I don't feel it's safe in Revy. Remember..... a lot of us drive many hours to ride out West and I would love to have some first hand info as well as reading the reports.

Don't get me wrong, it is also very important to have avalanche training, proper equipment, and KNOW HOW to use it.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its a matter of relevant information.

information today or tommorow does not help you with your weekend ride. IMO

but yes asking questions is the best way to learn.

"I agree, avalance.ca covers fairly large areas"

correct. however usually they will mention SPECIFIC areas. like the northern areas of the cariboos etcetc. and dont forget these bulletins are peiced together from information gathered by experts in ALL parts of the large range.

heliskiers and sledders from north to south in the area to best create a bulletin that covers the entire range. and if they feel the data received isnt acurate for a certain portion of the range they WILL mention that.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I get daily bulletins from the cac for the areas we normally ride in, so it's good to read the bulletins as a daily routine, and you get familiar with whats happening in that area. Still good idea to ask questions of anyone that was in the area or locals that were recently there.................. Jus' sayin';)

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get daily bulletins from the cac for the areas we normally ride in, so it's good to read the bulletins as a daily routine, and you get familiar with whats happening in that area. Still good idea to ask questions of anyone that was in the area or locals that were recently there.................. Jus' sayin';)

yupp so tru

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The danger lies in who answers the question. What is their training and knowledge background? What is their experience. When was the last time they were out? Did they test the snowpack, or quickly scan the avy report?

Too many variables possible. I read the avy report several times a week, but would only have faith in replies to the question from a few well trained people. Then we do our own research when we get there.

:twocents:

Top Bottom