I think I'm shutting 'er down for the year.

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too many people who thought they were doing the safe thing are getting into trouble, I think I'll sacrifice the last trip or two to the mountains in favor of being there for the next 40 years.

My thoughts and prayers go to those who weren't so lucky.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah we went down just after you drop over the backside, you follow the drifts and then climb the hill then you come over another drift area then just down in the trees... lol hope that works for you :p

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I know that is on alot of peoples minds now to quit as they watch the news and read the posts. All we can do is learn more by knowledge. Albert would not want me to quit sledding because of what happened, Yes it will make me think alot more now about everythig but not quit. I will venture to the mountains again, most likely easter weekend. This would be a healing process and I wont be riding on full charge. I will have an angel watching over me now.

This year will be a different year with the way the weather has been right from the start of the winter and how the snow set up. Please be carefull out there.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Think I'm done too ... not for lack of want but no time to go till way after Easter. Oh well I enjoy every season so time to get the quad ready then the boat! Bring on Summer! :beer::):beer:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I have never ridden mountains and this is not the year to test the waters...I'll ride this weekend around home maybe out the iron horse to ashmont but given the weather it's soon time for the mud, probably be the AC's last run this weekend.

Untill next year,

On another note I think Ron is 100% correct in thinking his freind would not want his incident to have an adverse effect on on the sport, given his dedication and commitment...rather learn from the experience,

Always play safe and Have fun cause you never know when your # is up..

Again condolances to family and freinds of all lost riders this and past years.

Bogger:beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Be smart out there folks. Enjoy the hills, even if it means just looking up at them from below.

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the passing of Albert and the continued high risk of avalanches in the back country I have hung up the keys for mountain riding for the year.
I will be back again next year, but for now I'm finished.

I'm thinking much the same way SBR. Until next year. To all those still going up ride and play safe.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
With the passing of Albert and the continued high risk of avalanches in the back country I have hung up the keys for mountain riding for the year.
I will be back again next year, but for now I'm finished.

I too have made the decision to hang up my mountain gear for the season. I still have an all inclusive weekend in McBride paid for by my wife as a Christmas present but there is no way I'll ever let my wife live with the fact that I got hurt or worse from her gift to me. Hopefully I can redeem the voucher's next season with Mountain Haven, the Grizzly and Mohawk when the risk is lower.
On another note I am willing to sell my Avy pack very cheap right now if it means saving a life. I will pick up another next fall. PM me if anyone is interested in a little more safety while riding this spring.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm also done with the mountain riding for this year, the wife asked me not to go on my next trip, so to put her at ease i'm not going, there will always be next year, I want to be around so I can take my son up there some time. I can't wait to get my boat out and get the board wet. We do still have lots of snow up here so i can ride for the weekend and maybe even early into next week. It is what it is and at the end of the day family is #1..

Scuba

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
I am hanging up the keys as well, I have had 7 great trips this year, the moneys running out and I am not all that fond of spring rides anyways. I hope that the tradgedies are over this year, far too many were taken from us in 2008/09. Ride safe everyone.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
CAC Avalanche report shows the rating at 3-Considerable for Treeline and apline...

Definition: Considerable
Natural avalanches possible. Human triggered avalanches probable.

Recommened Action:
Be increasingly cautious in steeper terrain.

Special Message: If snowfall accumulation over Tuesday starts to add up to more than 20 cm in your area, bump the danger ratings up by one level and back off to simple terrain without exposure to large slopes or avalanche paths above.

Read the rest of the report know what to look for and expect.....

If you haven't taken an Avalanche course, and dont know what the Avalanche report is trying to tell you, for your sake and your rescures sake stay home.....

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree. I just posted this on a another thread:

"Our group canceled our trip for this weekend to McBride. Hearing about Albert was pretty much a major buzzkill. I certainly don't feel like going to the hills right now as much as I know I have enjoyed it in the past. I'm pretty sure I know what I will be thinking as I ride around. Plus, I think the risk factor is just too high right now. Honestly, this year I think I am scared of them. Way too many reports like this. Hearing first hand account of what it like to be in one, and soooo many, and so many reports of stuff sliding here and there were it is not expected. And it's only going to get worse now that the sun is beating on it. Forget it for this year I think - manageable risk is one thing, but the risk is just too high right now."

We are just going to finish up with some local riding this week I think.

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me tooo i'm out for the year, it was a great year considering all that has put a dark cloud on our sport. I also feel that family comes first so that is why i am putting everything away and am heading to disneyland so everyone that is still riding play-er safe. Cheers till next year.......Dale

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I,m also done, after just reading of 3 more today, (2 mcbride and 1 cranbrook) it's just not worth it. Time to start looking forward to next winter. :beer::beer::beer:

Top Bottom