I Gotta problem with my 2005 polaris sportsman 500

MudderTrucker

Reaction score
​My battery keep dyeing and i have charged it twice. When I turn it on its idling at 11.1
What is the normal charging it should be at?
So it is drawing power when it is off. Why is that?
if you know what it might be tell me please going quading this weekend need to know!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know this is a Polaris thread, but my 08 Cat. The clock always kept memory, by drawing from the battery. A battery would be done in a year, if I didn't disconnect the negative.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most atv batteries only have a 3-5 year life just replaced the one in my 09 razor they will go up to there charge but won't hold the cranking amps

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
​My battery keep dyeing and i have charged it twice. When I turn it on its idling at 11.1
What is the normal charging it should be at?
So it is drawing power when it is off. Why is that?
if you know what it might be tell me please going quading this weekend need to know!
with a GOOD battery it should idle between 12.8 and 13.3 volts and 13.8-14.4 @ 3000rpm. either the battery you have will not accept a charge or your stator is toast and not charging at all.

looneyrod27

Reaction score
Could be the stator, could be a voltage reg/rectifier problem as well. Check the wiring by the voltage regulator as well as the wiring under the front panel/ headlight pod area. I have seen wires break in that area. Do you have a ohm meter? If you do trace the wires from your stator and find the three yellow wires, they are normally in one plug. Set your meter to ohms resistance. Consider your wires a,b,c and check resistance between them. Should be around 0.1 ohms. If that checks out set meter to ac volts and check a,b,c again with engine running you should see around 20 v ac voltage. If that all checks out your stator will not be the problem. 2005 also had a black control box under the front hood called a sure power"sure fire" that has been know to cause trouble. Hope this helps.

Javlin101

Reaction score
I had to change out the control box on my 2007 700cc. If you rev it up your charge amps should go up to 13 or 14. If I tapped my control box with a screw driver it would start charging but not always. Once I changed out the box everything was fine.

Top Bottom