I am going to look at my first sled tomorrow and need some advice.

meigsrock

Reaction score
I am going on a bit of a drive to go take a look at my first sled tomorrow after work and am looking for some pointers and advice. I am looking at a 2004 ski-doo 600cc REV Summit 144". He says it has 2500 miles on it, the exhaust pipe has a crack and that the spedo does not work. So I am wondering how much these repairs might cost. Also wondering on what a fair price on this might be. He is asking $2500 OBO. NADA says roughly $2500-3500 for the sled value so the price seems good if it does not cost too much to repair.

Also wondering what I should look at as far as mechanics and structure parts are concerned, weak links etc. I have been told about checking the frame under the engine for bends, carb boots for cracking, ski arms, shocks, location etc. for bends. Anything else I should know about.

Also just curious what a top end rebuild or new piston rings costs and what a clutch job costs just in case it needs more work than he is leading on or I get it home and it needs more work than expected. Need to know what to budget for the sled and what kind of bargin room I may have if it needs work.

No snow yet so I don't think I will get a good test ride in. Probably a start up and put around the driveway/street.

This will be my first sled and with any luck I can save for another this winter and then this one can go to the wife.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do a compression test check the chain case oil see what it looks like see if clutches are clean or dirty thus telling you if it was taken care of look at track and entire sled for general overall shape if its pieced together or is bent up keep your money .
Eric

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Basically just use the same mentality as buying a car. Don't fall for obvious ploys such as a mysteriously clean sled, there should be minor oil leaks or remnants of one. It's a two stroke and a high mileage one. Exhaust cracks aren't that severe unless its the header that is cracked, most other cracks can be welded. It sounds like you have some basic knowledge of engines and such so you should be alright. Just remember its an 04, it should look its year. Little old ladies never drove a rev to church on Sunday.

meigsrock

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. What is a good PSI and a bad PSI on a 2 stroke? How many miles on one of these before they usually need engine work? I can weld myself so if the crack is in the pipe I can fix it easy enough. Any idea on the spedo fix on the first sled mentioned.

Just spoted another 144" 600cc REV with 500 miles on new engine for $3200. Worth the extra money for a new fresh engine?

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would wonder why the speedo does not work. Also check the track condition.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
I just sold my 04 600 Rev last year. I know the 04 had problems with the carb boots peeling, mine ddid, and low compression. I did a top end on it with MCB 2 ring pistons and it worked well after. If, when you get it warm, and hit the reverse button and it stalls-shuts off, the compression may be low. Primary clutches are easy on these ones, the secondary isn't too bad either, just some buttons to replace and bushings...stuff like that. Belts I got from Bumper to Bumper for $83.00 each compared to Skidoo's $120.00 and they worked well. It's a good sled, but the running boards are not cut out like on later ones, and it seems like it rode a bit different from my friends 07. The seat sucked, so I put on a Boss-much better.
There is a dipstick for the chaincase and even if he changed it a few rides ago it will be black. I think the biggest issue is the low compression problem they had. Good luck.

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also check the front bulkhead for straightness. Ski-Doo Revs bend from a hard shot to either ski. Easy check is to verify the shock is centered in the a-arms on each side....both skis are even (one not sticking ahead more than the other) Under the hood look for bends behind the clutch and behind the muffler in the aluminum frame....this is where the suspension bolts to the frame.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at both sleds. See if the low mile one looks better. Miles don't mean chit unless its clean

My 04 600ho chassis had over 7500 miles on it when I sold it.

Good motor. An over aceaver forsure.

Plus u can do a 680 big bore that pulls like a 800. 700 jugs and head on 600 block. Real fun motor

sent from my htc

Boostmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. What is a good PSI and a bad PSI on a 2 stroke? How many miles on one of these before they usually need engine work? I can weld myself so if the crack is in the pipe I can fix it easy enough. Any idea on the spedo fix on the first sled mentioned.

Just spoted another 144" 600cc REV with 500 miles on new engine for $3200. Worth the extra money for a new fresh engine?

Most compression testers have background coloring to show what good and bad compression is, Mine reads like this: anything below 110 PSI is in the RED Above is GREEN.

As for the sled with a new motor I would ask why? And what does he/she means when they say “new motor” You may be surprised how many ppl will say that when it’s just got a new top end (rings, pistons and maybe a hone job).

I have also done compression tests on rebuilt engines that were in the green but when I did a leak down test they failed badly.
Please remember tools are only as good as the user.

Boostmonkey

Last edited:

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Depends who did the engine!If he just slapped in new pistons and never did seals or bottom end it might be a time bomb and he knows it and wants to dump it!Ask to see the bill and what was done to the engine and if he won't show you turn and walk!

m7 carver

Reaction score
Hows he know it has 2500miles when the speedo don't work? I'd be a bit worried about that. For example my sled has 6500 km and I just found a crack in the pipe which appeared at the end of last season.

meigsrock

Reaction score
The first sled mentioned: $2500 OBO

If I remember right he said it stoped working a while ago at around 2100 and he is guessing it has 2500 miles now. I will definatly inquire more when I talk to him in person. I did find out that he has had it for 2 months and now needs money to fix his truck more than a second sled. He bought from his friend that used it for a couple years for snowboarding transport into the mountains.

I told him I was bringing my compresion tester down and he seemed cool with that so that is a good sign. He also said it had aftermarket can, bars, skis, stock engine. I don't mind too much rebuild the engine if the price is not too bad. I can get parts at cost which is a plus so that will help. Just not sure on labor costs for a rebuild. If it looks straight I think I will go for it......we will see.

Top Bottom