Hypothermia or Frostbite personal stories.

justinpfannes

Reaction score
There are four degrees of frostbite. Frostnip is the first stage and only affects skin tissue. Second degree is a little worse starting to affect blood but in both cases the tissue actually crystalises. Third degree affects all the way down to nerves and muscle. The fourth stage hits all skin blood nerves muscles tendons and even all the way through to the bone. Hypothermia can cause your body to think its heating up when its actually not. This happend to me. I can't stress enough the importance of keepin dry and protected from the elements. Shivering also helps to keep vital organs warm. If you begin to stop and start feeling warm like i did it actually helps beyond great measure to simulate shivering as best you can too keep vital organs from shutting down. In my case i had all four stages of frostbite and many of my organs slowed down to persevere heat. For most of the time i can't recall but i know the one shoe i lost. The foot had fourth degree frostbite whereas the protected foot only had 2nd degree frostbite. It makes all the difference to protect your hands and feet from the wind-chills. I was found currled up trying to keep warm. My left hand only sufferd frostnip and my right hand 2nd degree frostbite. Once you get it; it becomes far more easy to get it again. If its 40° out my hands and feet are super cold so i have to wear gloves and wool socks. I have become way less tolerant to the cold as i used to love winter activities. The tv show "I Shouldn't Be Alive" gives first hand accounts and many many great survival tips on what kept them all alive. It can be a graphic show for little ones but its better to be wise and learn from others

Sent from my LG-VS410PP using Tapatalk 2

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In 2000 or so I was surveying up between Athabasca and Wabasca. It was -35 and the survey transit was acting up so we decided to just cut line all day. I had those old sorel -100 boots where the seam would split up the back of the heel so my heel was exposed to the snow.
After a while I felt my sock Bunch up under my heel and decided to just keep cutting.
Got back to the hotel and found the callous around the back of my heel had turned black and had intense pain as things thawed that lasted a few days. Then a few days later the black part just fell off.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was stupid today. Looked warm. Didnt realize how long the a wide open trail would be. Even through our guides told us. I always struggle wearing a belaclava. It's almost like a closterphobic panic attack. So I only put it on when I feel I'm starting to freeze.
Never felt the freezing.
All of a sudden when I went to shoulder check my neck felt tight. I thought my mustache or coat was frozen to my neck.
So pull over and started pulling at it.
The guy behind me came up and looked. Told me I was pulling at my skin.

I ended up wearing my belaclava.
But damage is done.

Stupid stupid stupid.

Attachments

• 20201204_185530.jpg
    20201204_185530.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 20201204_185541.jpg
    20201204_185541.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 138
Top Bottom