HST referendum results in B.C.

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a PROVEN fact that people on fixed income actually saved money with the HST. They can not spend enough FIXED income to accure HST spent that is above the amount of rebate cheque's they have received. Remember, the HST rebates were sliding, the less you made, the more you got.

Once again a case of half truths and down right lies against the HST that the uneducated spread as propoganda.

Thats comforting! Those Lieberals are sure thoughtful people looking after the poor that well!

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Riverjet, How far is it from PG to GP? 500-600KM one way? Why would you drive that far for 150 dollar savings? That means your time is worth what? 12.50....... Why not support your local economy in BC.

Did you see somewhere that I said I drove all the way to GP and back because I was going to save $150.00?
Don't you shop when you're travelling or do you just travel without spending anything? When visiting relatives in other parts of the country do you spend your money there?

btcowboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You did not state that you were there visiting, just that you saved a 150, which is peanuts

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you see somewhere that I said I drove all the way to GP and back because I was going to save $150.00?
Don't you shop when you're travelling or do you just travel without spending anything? When visiting relatives in other parts of the country do you spend your money there?

The truth comes out, you didnt travel to GP for the savings, it was a side deal, Hmmmm, didnt bother to mention that in your post. Once again half truths and propaganda from the anti HST side.

As for buying tires, so you made one phone call in PG then went north and made another to a tire shop. Lets see, in PG there are what, 4 or 5 different tire shops that sell Toyo, I guess your far to smart to shop around a bit. That would probably take to much brain work from you.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Call all the BS you want, it's a free country. Were you involved in my shopping? Do you know what prices I was quoted? You know squat!

"Spend you money in Alberta, enjoy the benefits the rest of use pay for in BC."

Is that hillbilly talk there?

1st sign that your a loser is bringing up spelling on a message board.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats comforting! Those Lieberals are sure thoughtful people looking after the poor that well!

guess it is better than the NDP building superfast ferries to support their Union buddies then sell them to the Americans for something like pennies on the dollar. Sure nice use of tax payers money. IMO if you are poor in Canada then you are doing something wrong or simply lazy (unless you have a reason such as illness)
As for saving on the tires, if you happen to be in GP and the cheaper price was up for grabs then I can understand your point. But to make a special trip then not so good. Hope you spent the savings wisely :)

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How are you guys getting all this info about what the governement has spent and who they've laid off and what they are going to have to repay? If this is from an outside independent source that has no connection to this goverment whatsoever, I may believe it. If this info has come from anywhere near the Liberals then I will call BS on this because they will spoonfeed the population whatever propaganda they feel they can force down our throats to further their cause.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How are you guys getting all this info about what the governement has spent and who they've laid off and what they are going to have to repay? If this is from an outside independent source that has no connection to this goverment whatsoever, I may believe it. If this info has come from anywhere near the Liberals then I will call BS on this because they will spoonfeed the population whatever propaganda they feel they can force down our throats to further their cause.

well lets see, the Federal finance minister has made several comments/points about the repayment (a conservative minister), the media has been all over this, and one would think if you have eliminated a tax why on earth would you keep the staff in charge of monitoring it? Most of this is common sense regardless of what the liberals have said. The only problem I have with the PST reinstating time frame, is that they should have no problem doing it faster than 18 months. After all the HST was less than a year.

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well lets see, the Federal finance minister has made several comments/points about the repayment (a conservative minister), the media has been all over this, and one would think if you have eliminated a tax why on earth would you keep the staff in charge of monitoring it? Most of this is common sense regardless of what the liberals have said. The only problem I have with the PST reinstating time frame, is that they should have no problem doing it faster than 18 months. After all the HST was less than a year.

Maybe I should have been more clear. I don't trust any politician to tell me the truth, not just a Liberal, especially if it's in their interest to lie to me. Where do you think a lot of the news we are getting about this comes from? I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and say "perhaps from some political spin doctor", .......................Just Sayin. I have no idea if they've laid off all the staff that were working on the old tax system or not and once again, refer to my comments on not just accepting what the politicians tell me as gospel.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should have been more clear. I don't trust any politician to tell me the truth, not just a Liberal, especially if it's in their interest to lie to me. Where do you think a lot of the news we are getting about this comes from? I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and say "perhaps from some political spin doctor", .......................Just Sayin. I have no idea if they've laid off all the staff that were working on the old tax system or not and once again, refer to my comments on not just accepting what the politicians tell me as gospel.

Hey I can agree with you on this one 100%. So no argument from me. :cool:

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The main difference is when we went to HST it was eliminating a segment of government, the PST department. Now it has to be recreated, people hired, trained. Look at it this way, how long does it take to build a house? 6 to 9 months? How long does it take to tear one down? 1 day?

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The main difference is when we went to HST it was eliminating a segment of government, the PST department. Now it has to be recreated, people hired, trained. Look at it this way, how long does it take to build a house? 6 to 9 months? How long does it take to tear one down? 1 day?

good point!

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mutha Fawka!

Then again, need to pay for this tomfoolery somehow.

All the economists and even the Canadian Taxpayers Federation told everyone that would listen, KEEP the HST!

The Canadian Taxpayers Federation (CTF) has crunched the numbers and the changes flowing from BC's move to the HST are now truly revenue neutral. BC Premier Gordon Campbell's move to cut taxes on income below $73,000 by 15% will ensure that families projected to take a hit from HST will either come out ahead or break even.

Economists have supported the HST for its efficiencies in the economy. Businesses have supported the HST for its simplification.

Just friggin great, 100% of us have to pay for the stupid 28% that voted to go back to an ass backwards tax...F#@k! And the kicker is, the PST is bad for the economy, slows growth (during a recession) nice move people.

Finance officials later said the cost of re-introducing the PST and the GST will be $2.2-billion over three years.

Last edited:

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah I just watched that on the news. I wonder how many teachers voted it down who are on strike right now asking for more money. Everyone agrees we need to live within our means including the government but this only applies to others and not me attitude.

I've noticed that as well. The world is turning into a place where 'I got mine, fawk you' is the standard thought process for many people. This isn't going to end well....

Top Bottom