How warm is a non insulated jacket?

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Found a nice motorfist jacket I like, but it isn't insulated. I feel like I would freeze to death wearing it.

I currently wear an insulated FXR jacket, klim pull over mid layer that is decently thick and a base layer.

What would I wear if my jacket wasn't insulated now?

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It really depends where you ride. I've ridden the last 3 years with a non-insulated FXR jacket, all in the mountains without an issue. I wear two smaller layers underneath and usually end up pealing down to one as the day goes on.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
90 % of the time mountains, vale, mcbride, etc.

Thinking of getting a klim intake vest to wear as a third layer under the jacket, over a thick mid layer might do the trick?

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a girl and am typically always cold. But when I sled I only wear shells and layer up appropriately underneath. I also ride with an avy vest which helps keep me warm. I just prefer layering instead of a heavy insulated jacket. So I'd say it depends on your comfort level.

scottp

Reaction score
I have the FXR elevation non-insulated and wear a long sleeve wicking base and a pullover for a mid layer. Was riding as high 7500 feet and was fine all day. Its nice to have the mid layer to take off when you work up a sweat getting unstuck.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking, long sleeve base layer, thick mid layer pull over, vest then non insulated jacket will do the trick, I hope.

Im actually switching to the avy vest so that will help some too.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As said above, it depends where you ride, and how you ride. Personally, I carry a mid layer (never use it), wear a shell with no insulation with a light base layer underneath up to -20C temps. That said, I work outside in the winter and am used to the cold. Sweat is your enemy, if you overdress or wear cotton (or cotton blends) as a base layer, you will be wet and cold. Better to dress light and maintain a comfortable body temperature in my opinion. Everyone is different, and runs a different body temperature, so if you are comfortable with an insulated jacket and layers you have now without sweating excessively, you are likely NOT a good candidate for a shell.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have one of those Motorfist uninsulated jackets. Only wore it once riding and froze. Now it's just a summer jacket.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Learn to layer and you'll never go back to a heavy insulated jacket. I wear a light base layer and a shell then my avy vest. Only time I wear a mid layer is when it's more than 20 below. The mid layers are packed as just in case for an emergency overnight stay.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always wear shells and later up underneath, never had a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Non insulated Klim jacket with a under armour layer works pretty well for 90% of mountain riding for me. I keep a thin mid in the bag, but rarely use it. Ends up as a goggle wipe most times.

Honestly all the times I've ever been cold were mainly just because of wet hands/wet feet. Just get good quality gear and you will be amazed at how much better you can regulate your body temperature.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

blubbles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing to look is all the different weights of base layers as well, some of the new stuff will keep you toasty with one layer under a shell.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

4mcntrls

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't owned an insulated jacket for years, I just add layers underneath my shell. The new shells are awesome along with the improvements in base layers I have had no issues. No matter what temp just adjust the layers to meet the temp.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a Klim Valdez (Shell) and was skeptical, but I love it and wouldnt go back to insulated. I wear one long sleeve UA wicking layer maybe a second in the back pack.

Quattroman

Reaction score
Yep, been wearing a 509 shell and layers for the last few years. Cant remember the last time i wore a thick insulated jacket sledding/snowboarding.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Uninsulated is great. I like the freedom of movement. Base layer should be something that wicks moisture (sweat) away. Under armour or even the cheap stuff from Walmart. I usually wear a midweight fleece (long sleeve from Walmart or Canadian Tire) over the t-shirt and I am never cold. I used to get cold wearing the wrong material like a cotton polyester t-shirt. Sweat would stay in that an when you stop for lunch, the sweat makes you cold.
I was worried the avy vest I bought last year would be too warm.
Uninsulated bibs too. I do carry an extra layer in the tunnel bag just in case.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to wear bibs under my non insulated jacket and found them to be to much and my belly would sweat lol. I wear a long sleeve UA and maybe a soft shell over that and the jacket. I now wear light insulated pants.

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would never own an insulated jacket/pants again. If they get wet from sweat or from rain while getting ready at the bottom they hold the moisture all day. Get a good GorTex shell (or similar) and wicking base and mid layers. Warmer and much less bulky. When my wife and I climbed Kilimanjaro a few years back we used the same three jacket from base to summit (+30C to -10). Just in different combinations. We still use the shells on rainy days in the summer and all the layers when outside in the winter. Great versatility +10 rain to -25 snow. Just don't use any cotton.

Last edited:

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I Found a nice motorfist jacket I like, but it isn't insulated. I feel like I would freeze to death wearing it.

I currently wear an insulated FXR jacket, klim pull over mid layer that is decently thick and a base layer.

What would I wear if my jacket wasn't insulated now?

For mountain riding they work well. I usually go with a tight long sleeve shirt like a merino wool or athletic shirt as base. Then a fleece indoor jacket, then Motorfist uninsulated. The Motorfist's job is to keep wind and water out, and your other clothing keeps your warm. If it is a warm riding day I can take off the fleece and stay cool.

For prairie flat-land riding at -20 the Motorfist can work, but I have to add another jacket underneath. They aren't great at this kind of riding but get the job done.

Top Bottom