How to ride the back country

spitfire

Reaction score
After reading some of the posts on the CBC regarding this years tragic loses, and all the intelligent responses, it is time to redefine how to sled the backcounty.
Firstly, you must proceed to the Ticket Master booth for the official weigh in. If you are not a least 60 lbs. overweight you cannot proceed. You must return to you vehicle and head to the nearest pub. Before emabarking on the trail, enagage you sled to the automatic mode, this will ensure that the 303 caliber machine gun is now activated. Check to ensure that the oil injectors are turned to maximum to create a blue smog bank so enviromentalists won't be able to know who you are. With all safety equipments neatly packed in the trailer ensure that the 5 gallon jug Jack Daniels is tightly secured.
Now you are ready to hit the trail. Proceed at a minimum of 80 mph to the nearest avalanche chute. It is at this point the group must take the time to scout the area for the hill with the most cornices and sloughs. Now the decision is made on which hill to use, they must establish what formation to use. This event requires a minimum of eight runs. The winners will receive at least eight ounces of Jack Daniels.
The next task is too find some wildlife. This usually does't take much time as most of you know we are usually dodging them left and right on the trail. This is very much a individual part of sledding in the back country. It is based on the honor system. The individual who runs down at least three different species wins. For his honorable effort, he receives a corn dog and eight ounces of Jack Daniels.
The final stage of how to use the back country is probably the least difficult. The group must find a least four feet of fresh powder. Once this has been accomplished, the sleds must be set up for the task at hand. First pull the cord that enflates the arm chair section of seat, pull the nachos from the muff pot and point the sled. Keep one hand on the throttle and the other hand available for the munchies. Lean left or right depending on sidehill situation. Now that wasn't that hard was it.
Now that all three stages are accomplished, dispose all of your garbage in a neat pile in the middle of the trail. This will ensure that other sledders will run over it and slowly bury it. Take a few minutes at this time to finish all the Jack Daniels that is left to lighten you load for the trip home.
Now that you are back at the trailer, you must quickly decide which bar has the cheapest liquor and embark on the final chapter of how to use the back country.

:d:beer::p;):beer::beer:
cheers:mike

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After reading some of the posts on the CBC regarding this years tragic loses, and all the intelligent responses, it is time to redefine how to sled the backcounty.
Firstly, you must proceed to the Ticket Master booth for the official weigh in. If you are not a least 60 lbs. overweight you cannot proceed. You must return to you vehicle and head to the nearest pub. Before emabarking on the trail, enagage you sled to the automatic mode, this will ensure that the 303 caliber machine gun is now activated. Check to ensure that the oil injectors are turned to maximum to create a blue smog bank so enviromentalists won't be able to know who you are. With all safety equipments neatly packed in the trailer ensure that the 5 gallon jug Jack Daniels is tightly secured.
Now you are ready to hit the trail. Proceed at a minimum of 80 mph to the nearest avalanche chute. It is at this point the group must take the time to scout the area for the hill with the most cornices and sloughs. Now the decision is made on which hill to use, they must establish what formation to use. This event requires a minimum of eight runs. The winners will receive at least eight ounces of Jack Daniels.
The next task is too find some wildlife. This usually does't take much time as most of you know we are usually dodging them left and right on the trail. This is very much a individual part of sledding in the back country. It is based on the honor system. The individual who runs down at least three different species wins. For his honorable effort, he receives a corn dog and eight ounces of Jack Daniels.
The final stage of how to use the back country is probably the least difficult. The group must find a least four feet of fresh powder. Once this has been accomplished, the sleds must be set up for the task at hand. First pull the cord that enflates the arm chair section of seat, pull the nachos from the muff pot and point the sled. Keep one hand on the throttle and the other hand available for the munchies. Lean left or right depending on sidehill situation. Now that wasn't that hard was it.
Now that all three stages are accomplished, dispose all of your garbage in a neat pile in the middle of the trail. This will ensure that other sledders will run over it and slowly bury it. Take a few minutes at this time to finish all the Jack Daniels that is left to lighten you load for the trip home.
Now that you are back at the trailer, you must quickly decide which bar has the cheapest liquor and embark on the final chapter of how to use the back country.

sad thing is there are people out there that would believe you, and actually think that's how it is.

s/b tech

Reaction score
It just goes to show how ignorant and uninformed the media and respondants truly are sometimes.:eek:

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The media never reports the good news. I don't want to sound like a jerk, but who wants to hear the fact that 6725 snowmobilers returned home safely today from their trip?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Good thing you left out the part where we clearcut all the live trees in half the forest to start a fire to cook our hotdogs (the ones that don't fit in the muffpot) while we sit around and drink beer. We don't want people thinking we aren't environmentally friendly.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Holly crap sledbunnyRACING.......your RED....:beer:

Problem is it's not soley the fault of the media...they are a business and they report on the issues that willl draw the viewers/listeners, unfortunately as stated earlier no one cares how many people made it home safely, or how much garbage was hauled out, and only for a very short time do they care about the horses that were saved.

Fact is media does not drive opinion....common opinion drives media.

I just completed some risk assessment training studying outrage vs complaciantcy and it very clearly illustrates how.. as much as people think that the media "brainwashes" realistically the media we see is a product of pre-existing public belief.....

Sorry sometimes I ramble....maybe I should sit down with some members of the ASA and figure out how we can manipulate current media to put a positive spin on the sport prior to season opening next year...

hmmmmm.

Bogger:beer:

Last edited:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holly crap sledbunnyRACING.......your RED....:beer:

Problem is it's not soley the fault of the media...they are a business and they report on the issues that willl draw the viewers/listeners, unfortunately as stated earlier no one cares how many people made it home safely, or how much garbage was hauled out, and only for a very short time do they care about the horses that were saved.

Fact is media does not drive opinion....common opinion drives media.

I just completed some risk assessment training studying outrage vs complaciantcy and it very clearly illustrates how.. as much as people think that the media "brainwashes" realistically the media we see is a product of pre-existing public belief.....

Sorry sometimes I ramble....maybe I should sit down with some members of the ASA and figure out how we can manipulate current media to put a positive spin on the sport prior to season opening next year...

hmmmmm.

Bogger:beer:

Bogger,

With all due respect I have to disagree. Media are predominantly owned by big coproporations with strong political ties. They have agendas to follow. There are many a situations where the media ran with a story and made it into a much larger issue than it was ever intended to be. Media can plant the seed of public belief and if it takes hold, continue to feed the belief till it becomes public hysteria. I have done extensive reading on the media and their policially motivated agendas. I would love to have attended this course you mention. Not saying your wrong, just that the hype starts somewhere and often it is with what we see and what we hear, and we are bombarded with this every day through the media.

An expression I hear or saw once (maybe even here);

Believe half of what of you see and less of what you hear.

This would be a great pub discussion!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Bogger,

With all due respect I have to disagree. Media are predominantly owned by big coproporations with strong political ties. They have agendas to follow. There are many a situations where the media ran with a story and made it into a much larger issue than it was ever intended to be. Media can plant the seed of public belief and if it takes hold, continue to feed the belief till it becomes public hysteria. I have done extensive reading on the media and their policially motivated agendas. I would love to have attended this course you mention. Not saying your wrong, just that the hype starts somewhere and often it is with what we see and what we hear, and we are bombarded with this every day through the media.

An expression I hear or saw once (maybe even here);

Believe half of what of you see and less of what you hear.

This would be a great pub discussion!

I understand your view and would have agreed 100% 2 weeks ago. If you go onto youtube and look up Peter Sandman or go to petersandman.com he has a series called "Alerting, Reassuring, Guiding...three risk communication toolkits. He is the man who first worked with greenpeace in the late 60's to hammer out their Public relations protocol...Now he Instructs Corporations on how to manage dealings with environmental groups....pretty eye opening material.

I was able to go see him in Vancouver this month

Media Sensationalism and Risk: Talking to Stakeholders with Reporters in the Room (Peter Sandman column)

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your redness sledbunny!!!
Its very boring to report on safe environmentally sound sledders so it will never happen .... just no ratings. :beer::d:beer:

JD you say hey hmmmmmmm

white ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't Don Hennly call it "Dirty Laundry" ?
Media only gives you the dirt! unfortunately that's what people want to hear!

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
My daughter use to write for Grant McEwen and that is what they wanted "Dirt" & "Controversial"
We don't hear much of the Feel Good story...but quite frankly we go looking for the Dirt as readers...Hmmm.

Didn't Don Hennly call it "Dirty Laundry" ?
Media only gives you the dirt! unfortunately that's what people want to hear!

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone keeps blaming the media for reporting our incidents. Look squarely at what causes the incidents guys. Its us and our fellow back country users that are inexperienced or use poor judgement and end up "waving a red flag at the bull". Until we get a handle on the situation, incidents will occur and the media will report.

The ball is in our court.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Everyone keeps blaming the media for reporting our incidents. Look squarely at what causes the incidents guys. Its us and our fellow back country users that are inexperienced or use poor judgement and end up "waving a red flag at the bull". Until we get a handle on the situation, incidents will occur and the media will report.

The ball is in our court.

With all the rhetoric regarding the media I agree with Mongrol; we are supplying incidents and they are jumping all over it. The "liberated" media personel are the so-called saviors of Mother Earth; just like the liberated greenies, tree huggers, environmentalists, and conservationalists. They will jump on anything to support their cause. Plain and simple, in their mind they want more parks and green space to protect the earth. There are some who want people out of the wilderness, people out of the controversial wildlife areas, and so on. They don't look at the fact that the Parks aren't healthy places they just have their agenda.

When our community disrespects Mother Nature (the killing of the deer, ducks, or other issues that they jump like loud pipes, 2-cyle pollution, etc) or causes our governments to spend copious amounts on money on S&R, they in turn will make it "an event" to further their liberated and "know what's best for the environment" attitude to permeate the masses.

You and I know what has caused the tragic winter (no disrespect implied nor intended); poor snow conditions, etc., etc. but to use it for another agenda is disgraceful and disrespectful. But that is what the media does!!

I, like the rest of you, would like to see the rest of the season fatality free; a spring riding season with no highmarking and safe riding. Do you think "we" can do it? I raise the challenge to all S&M members, your acquaintences, family members, etc.

Top Bottom